New Home - Apple/Sonos/Philips Hue/Insteon

wilhar0046

I really big into home automation and really want to setup my house in a certain way. I currently use an iPhone to control Philips Hue bulbs in my house two insteon switches and my sonos speakers. I was thinking about getting an ISY994i to install into my system. I was wondering if their was a way in the ISY to make Insteon switches kind dummy switches. Like they will not switch load off or on ( i always want it on) They will trigger an action in the isy to run a scene or program. So when you hit the on button on insteon switch it will send a http request to the philips hue lights to turn on and to a certain scene rather than switch the circuit on or off. Also is there a way to integrate this into my Nest system or my Sonos system. When I go to bed it would be nice to have all the lights dim out and have the temp turn down and my sonos start playing chill relaxing music. Not sure if you guys will be able to help me or not but maybe you could point me in the right direction. 

I really big into home automation and really want to setup my house in a certain way. I currently use an iPhone to control Philips Hue bulbs in my house two insteon switches and my sonos speakers. I was thinking about getting an ISY994i to install into my system. I was wondering if their was a way in the ISY to make Insteon switches kind dummy switches. Like they will not switch load off or on ( i always want it on) They will trigger an action in the isy to run a scene or program. So when you hit the on button on insteon switch it will send a http request to the philips hue lights to turn on and to a certain scene rather than switch the circuit on or off. Also is there a way to integrate this into my Nest system or my Sonos system. When I go to bed it would be nice to have all the lights dim out and have the temp turn down and my sonos start playing chill relaxing music. Not sure if you guys will be able to help me or not but maybe you could point me in the right direction. 

Sure. If you don't hardwire a load to a SwitchLinc it can't control it. The signal is still sent and Insteon listening devices like ISY994i can do whatever they want with it, even turn lights off from the On signal sent.

I use one SwitchLinc dimmer a huge amount in my Great Room. I have some lights hardwired to it that turn off but a double down/off  tap turns on another 11 coloured lights.

I use Hue coloured lights as well as MiLight bulbs and RGBW strips and they are all controllable with the optional plug-in "Network Resources" module in the ISY. This is available right from a URL link inside your ISY and is just a click and payment away. And like Minute Rice (no association) Ready in five minutes.

People here have also controlled their Sonos music system. Not sure how it is done but do some searches in the UDI forum.

I was wondering if their was a way in the ISY to make Insteon switches kind dummy switches.

Yes, I use one without the load connected for the bathroom fan. The switch on-level leds act as a countdown timer via ISY program. I also added a switch without load in the living room so we would have switches at all entryways.

Will Echo control Sonos or Nest? I don't think it will.

I'm not current on the Hue control, but doesn't that require a raspberry pie running a hue emulator?

Sonos can be done, but it takes some computer and programming skills to get it working. See my write up here http://forum.universal-devices.com/index.php?/topic/14920-How-to-control-SONOS-streaming-radio-stations

Nest set points can easily be done by having the ISY send an email to IFTT. You can't query the current temp or SP and you can't set occupied/away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will Echo control Sonos or Nest? I don't think it will.

I'm not current on the Hue control, but doesn't that require a raspberry pie running a hue emulator?

No RPi needed.

Just the Network Module for ISY is needed and use of  lots of network resources or with the addition of non-cached variable substitution in Network Resources with ISY v5.x only one, or maybe a few, Network Resources.

If you can tolerate a Wait 1 second between controlling each Hue bulb then this can be done with v4.3.18 and up with only a few network resources used.

Thanks for all the responses and help guys I had come to the conclusion of not wiring the load to the switches themselves. Ever since I purchased the Nest and found out it "Works With Nest"  I became more interested in home automation. Being able to click one button and the temp turns down, lights turn off, sonos plays relaxing music, door locks, etc just fascinates me. I am really looking forward to getting my ISY. I had located a bunch of other products and setups like the "Vera" that was interested in but I think i'm going to go with Insteon and the ISY. I will be an addict in no time :)

Archived