Scheduling a hold for one or more programs

Chris Jahn

There are two ways to put a hold on programs, either by directly referencing another program,

or putting a condition on a folder.

This example shows two different ways to both shut off the Main Lobby light, and prevent it from being turned on outside of office hours.

If multiple switches control 'Main Lobby Lights' and you want to ensure the lights are off outside of office hours, the following program is also needed:

If
       Program 'Office Hours' is False
   And Status 'Main Lobby Lights' is On

Then
       Set 'Main Lobby Lights' Off

Option 1) Reference another program directly

1. Create a program called 'Office Hours' as follows:

If
       On Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri
       From     9:00:00AM
       To       5:30:00PM (same day)

Or On Sat
       From    10:00:00AM
       To       2:00:00PM (same day)

Then
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Finally
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

2. Create a program called 'Lobby' as follows:

If
       Program 'Office Hours' is True
   And Control 'Main Lobby' is On

Then
       Set 'Main Lobby Lights' On

Finally

Option 2) Add a condition to a Folder

1. Create a folder called 'Office'

2. Create a program called 'Lobby' inside folder 'Office'

3. Add the following Conditions to folder 'Office'

If
       On Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri
       From     9:00:00AM
       To       5:30:00PM (same day)

Or On Sat
       From    10:00:00AM
       To       2:00:00PM (same day)

Then
  Allow the programs in this folder to run.

4. Add the following to program 'Lobby'

If
       Control 'Main Lobby' is On

Then
       Set 'Main Lobby Lights' On

Finally

This case is identical to the first, except the 'Hold' part of the program has been

moved to the Folder. Any other programs that you add to this folder will also

be held in the same way.

• 1 month later...

I think a variation of this is what I'm looking for.

I am trying to program a 'one-shot', the program should run and then not be allowed to run again until I re-enable it, either manually or on a schedule.

Scenario:

A motion sensor detects when somebody walks into a room and it turns on the lights one time, ie, in the morning. It will not turn them on again via the motion sensor until after 4 am on the following day. So throughout the day, if the lights are turned off manually, they won't be turned on again every time someone walks by the motion sensor. It resets at 4 am.

What would be the best way to do that?

Thanks.

Update:

Ok, I think I figured out a way to do it.

In folder conditions, I allow the program to run if 4 am rolls around and one of the lamps in the room is off.

When the motion detector detects motion it turns that lamp (and others) on, thus disabling the folder. It will re-enable again at 4 am the following day as long as that lamp is off.

Seems to work well in testing, am I missing a possible gotcha here?

Thanks.

jgraziano,

You are not missing anything ... that's precisely the function of the folder condition: to limit the run time of the programs within. You may also want to add other programs in the same folder which are constrained by the same condition as well as use your current program (the output) in other programs (resuse your programs).

With kind regards,

Michel

I think a variation of this is what I'm looking for.

I am trying to program a 'one-shot', the program should run and then not be allowed to run again until I re-enable it, either manually or on a schedule.

Scenario:

A motion sensor detects when somebody walks into a room and it turns on the lights one time, ie, in the morning. It will not turn them on again via the motion sensor until after 4 am on the following day. So throughout the day, if the lights are turned off manually, they won't be turned on again every time someone walks by the motion sensor. It resets at 4 am.

What would be the best way to do that?

Thanks.

Update:

Ok, I think I figured out a way to do it.

In folder conditions, I allow the program to run if 4 am rolls around and one of the lamps in the room is off.

When the motion detector detects motion it turns that lamp (and others) on, thus disabling the folder. It will re-enable again at 4 am the following day as long as that lamp is off.

Seems to work well in testing, am I missing a possible gotcha here?

Thanks.

Archived