IOLinc status not updated in ISY unless I query it

tome

I recently had a PLM die.  The typical capacitor failure most likely (have parts on order to fix).  Anyway, I bought a new PLM to replace it and plugged it in today and did a "Restore Modem".   When the PLM died I was alerted to the issue because my garage door was reported to be up at night (I have a program that checks it).  The door wasn't up and the sensor light on the IOLinc was off (which is door down) and that eventually lead me to the dead PLM.  Anyway, after the restore today everything seems to be working again except there is a change in the behavior of the IOLinc status.  The IOLinc seems to be working fine, door goes up and down on command from ISY and the LED on the IOLinc lights when the door is up and goes off when the door goes down.  But when I look at the sensor status which is what tells me if the door is up or down it is stuck in previous state unless I query it from the ISY.  This is new behavior but I am not sure if this began with the dead PLM or before with a software update or other event.   I also did a Restore Device on the IOLinc but that didn't help.  If I run a query it always shows correctly, but only if I run a query.  Why would that behavior change and what would cause the status to not be updated automatically?

Tom

Is the I/O Linc option "Trigger Reverse" set On?

This option reverses the On/Off commands the I/O Linc sends when the state of the Sensor changes.  Unfortunately Trigger Reverse does not apply to Query so the Query status will be the opposite of what the I/O Linc Sensor sends when Trigger Reverse is active. 

If the I/O Linc sensor never sends Status information it may be missing a link record.   Run Restore Device to rebuild the links if nothing ever comes back from the Sensor on door movement.   The Query does not require the link information.

Thanks Lee.   I did this earlier but did it again for good measure, but it doesn't help.  Trigger Reverse is not on.

-Tom

Right click on Sensor node, select Diagnostics | Show Device Links Table.  Post the link record list. 

The Device Links Table is blank.  The ISY Links Table has three entries:

0 : 0FF8 : A2 06 13.C1.7A FF 1F 00

1 : 0FF0 : E2 01 13.C1.7A FF 1F 01

2 : 0FE8 : 00 00 00.00.00 00 00 00

The blank Device Links Table explains why there are no Sensor state messages when door moves to Open or Closed position.

Right click on Sensor node, select Restore Device.   That should move the ISY Links Table information to the I/O Linc link database.

When the Restore Device completes do another Diagnostics | Show Device Links Table to confirm the Device Links Table is the same as the ISY Links Table.

Also verify that 13.C1.7A is the new PLM Insteon address.

The blank Device Links Table explains why there are no Sensor state messages when door moves to Open or Closed position.

Right click on Sensor node, select Restore Device.   That should move the ISY Links Table information to the I/O Linc link database.

When the Restore Device completes do another Diagnostics | Show Device Links Table to confirm the Device Links Table is the same as the ISY Links Table.

Also verify that 13.C1.7A is the new PLM Insteon address.

I've tried the device restore several times and nothing changes.  So I just did another Restore Modem.  After that completed I again did a Restore Device.  I have the following links shown below.  But the device is still not sending it's status (or the ISY is not reporting it).  However, 13.C1.7A is not the PLM address.  The new PLM is at:  3C.48.AD

ISY Table:

Device table:

2 : 0FE8 : 00 11 00.00.00 FF 1F 00

PS:  I should also add that 13.C1.7A is not the old PLM's address either (that was 19.71.B8)....

PPS:  13.C1.7A is a keypad that also controls the door....

PPPS:  That keypad button does light and go out when the door goes up and down (FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH).

I've tried the device restore several times and nothing changes.  So I just did another Restore Modem.  After that completed I again did a Restore Device.  I have the following links shown below.  But the device is still not sending it's status (or the ISY is not reporting it).  However, 13.C1.7A is not the PLM address.  The new PLM is at:  3C.48.AD

ISY Table:

Device table:

2 : 0FE8 : 00 11 00.00.00 FF 1F 00

PS:  I should also add that 13.C1.7A is not the old PLM's address either (that was 19.71.B8)....

PPS:  13.C1.7A is a keypad that also controls the door....

PPPS:  That keypad button does light and go out when the door goes up and down (FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH).

Try a RESTORE DEVICE on the Keypad that's associated with the IOLinc

With the ISY Link Table not having a link back to the PLM strongly suggests a Delete Modem (PLM) was done when the new PLM was installed.  Can you confirm that a Delete Modem (PLM) was issued.

No, I didn't do a Delete PLM.  The PLM died and when I brought up the UI it said something about being in Safe Mode.  I then added the new PLM (when it came a few days later) and did a Restore PLM....

-Tom

Was the ISY powered Off when the new PLM was connected to the ISY?

Are all the other Insteon devices reporting state changes correctly which indicates they are aware of the new PLM address?

The only way I know of for a device to have no links back to the PLM was to have deleted the PLM.   If the I/O Linc is the only device not to be aware of PLM it is likely it will have to be deleted and readded to ISY.

Was the ISY powered Off when the new PLM was connected to the ISY?

Are all the other Insteon devices reporting state changes correctly which indicates they are aware of the new PLM address?

The only way I know of for a device to have no links back to the PLM was to have deleted the PLM.   If the I/O Linc is the only device not to be aware of PLM it is likely it will have to be deleted and readded to ISY.

The ISY was powered On when I connected the new PLM I believe.  I had unplugged the other PLM but left the ISY running (in Safe mode apparently).  I then just plugged in the PLM and logged in and rebooted the ISY.

I think everything else is working as expected.  So far anyway the IOLinc is the only thing I see that isn't indicating status.

Should there be a link to the PLM in the list when I do a "Show Device Links Table"?

Hmm, now I am not so sure this is the only problem.  I have a program that says:

If

Control 'EntryLightsEast' is switched Fast On

Or Control 'EntryLightsWest' is switched Fast On

Then

Set Scene 'Driveway' 100%

Else

- No Actions

When I double tap the entry lights switch, the driveway lights no longer come on/off.  

The PLM must be powered on before the ISY is connected. Connect the PLM and ISY in the correct order and try Restore modem again.

I found the threads in the forum about how to connect a new PLM.  I went back and tried doing it by the book (would have been nice had I known about the book before replacing the PLM) but no luck.  I did the restore modem again, restore device, etc etc.  but the devices that didn't work still don't.   I am finding more and more things in the house that don't work as they did.  I am not sure what my next steps are...  Any ideas?

For the devices that are not working do a Show ISY Links Table.  This is the link records that the ISY thinks should be there.  Any device that would normally send messages to the ISY/PLM must have at least one link record that starts with E2 and have the PLM Insteon address.

E2 xx aa.bb.cc ........ - where aa.bb.cc is the PLM Insteon address.

If all the devices that do not work are missing this type of link record it is important to know.

For the devices that are not working do a Show ISY Links Table.  This is the link records that the ISY thinks should be there.  Any device that would normally send messages to the ISY/PLM must have at least one link record that starts with E2 and have the PLM Insteon address.

E2 xx aa.bb.cc ........ - where aa.bb.cc is the PLM Insteon address.

If all the devices that do not work are missing this type of link record it is important to know.

I don't see ANY device that has an E2 record with the PLM address in it.  Quite a few have an A2 record with the PLM address, but no E2...

-Tom

PS:  I have parts coming to try to repair the old PLM.  Would it help - if I can fix the old PLM - to reinstall that?  Or do I have other options...?

If All the devices are missing E2 xx aa.bb.cc ........ that point to the PLM, at some point you will have to accept that a Delete Modem (PLM) was done.  The A2 ....... records would allow the device to receive messages from the PLM, but since the PLM was deleted those A2 records are not important.   The need for an E2 xx aa.bb.cc ...... record in the device pointing to the PLM is an Insteon requirement.

The first step is to restore an ISY Backup taken before the new PLM was connected.  This will restore the missing PLM information in the Show ISY Links Table albeit it with the old PLM address.

Remove power from ISY and new PLM.for 60 seconds.

Restore power to new PLM.

After 30 seconds apply power to ISY.

Run File | Restore Modem (PLM).  Then run File | Restore devices.

If All the devices are missing E2 xx aa.bb.cc ........ that point to the PLM, at some point you will have to accept that a Delete Modem (PLM) was done.  The A2 ....... records would allow the device to receive messages from the PLM, but since the PLM was deleted those A2 records are not important.   The need for an E2 xx aa.bb.cc ...... record in the device pointing to the PLM is an Insteon requirement.

The first step is to restore an ISY Backup taken before the new PLM was connected.  This will restore the missing PLM information in the Show ISY Links Table albeit it with the old PLM address.

Remove power from ISY and new PLM.for 60 seconds.

Restore power to new PLM.

After 30 seconds apply power to ISY.

Run File | Restore Modem (PLM).  Then run File | Restore devices.

I have a backup of this ISY from mid-May when I updated it's firmware from 4.2.18 to the current 4.2.30.  How do I go about restoring that backup to the ISY and will it be ok to restore one from older firmware?

-Tom

To restore a Backup file issue File | Restore ISY.   The concern using a Backup from May is that it will not have the latest Device/Scene/Program information.  The ISY firmware level is not an issue.  You may have to manually resolve missing/changed information to Devices/Scenes/ Programs that happened after May. 

Should be fine as it works going forward on firmware.

Select | File | ISY Restore | browse for your file.

Might be a good idea to do a backup first and save the mess, just I case anyway.

When I select File -> ISY Restore I get the attached dialog and if I click on it it runs the restore, I don't get to select a file....

Nevermind, I didn't make my way through the dialogs... Was thinking of restore modem...

post-1172-0-76187900-1443149189_thumb.png

Archived