ISY not seeing activity generated by devices

jckinneman

I noticed that programs that triggered based on device status changes are not running.  For example i have a timer on a closet that 10 minutes after it is turned on the program will turn it off.  Until about a week ago these have been working flawlessly.  

From the ISY console in the Event viewer with level three turned on the ISY doesn't see any traffic initiated by the devices.  If I click a device on or off nothing shows up in the event viewer.  The ISY can communicate with the devices, queries work and I can turn things on and off from the ISY.  ISY initiated traffic does show up in the log and event viewer.  All programs that trigger based on time work fine.

I unplugged the PLM and ISY, waited 10 seconds, plugged the PLM back in, then the ISY.  No change

I checked the PLM and there is LED blinking when there is traffic.  I did a factory reset on the PLM no change.

No new Insteon devices added, no changes in general household electronics that I recall.

Purchased about six months ago give or take.

ISY 994i/IR Pro

Firmware insteon_UD994 V.4.3.10

Are there other steps I can do to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

Jim K

Great news.   The PLM may have lost its link database which is why device initiated messages were not seen.  PLMs at hardware before v2.0  (white sticker on back of PLM) have capacitor failures.  If the symptoms come back the PLM needs repair (there are forum discussions on which capacitors to replace) or the PLM needs replacement.   Current v2.x PLMs have the capacitor fix. 

Hi,

Something has happening in the past couple of days.

None of my programs are working except for one.

The one that still works is based on a time of day. Its a sunrise and sunset thing.

All the other programs are based on Status or if a device was turned on.

I rebooted the ISY and unplugged the PLM.

I did not try to clear everything in PLM.

I'm not sure what steps I need to take to fix this.

Thanks

Rob

Hard to develop an approach when the environment is unknown.   Information at the bottom of the post says a 994i in the future.   Is the post discussing a 99i?  What is the PLM hardware level (white sticker) and PLM firmware (Tools | Diagnostics | PLM Info/Status)?

I rebooted the ISY and unplugged the PLM.

While you may have just been listing of f the things you have done and not necessarily in the sequence you did them, I just want to point out that the above is the wrong sequence. 

The correct procedure would be to unplug both the PLM and the ISY from power.  Plug the PLM back in, wait 5-10 seconds then plug the ISY back in.  The PLM needs to be up and ready when the ISY boots otherwise the ISY may come up in safe mode and not be able to communicate with the Insteon network.

-Xathros

Hi guys,

Sorry about the delayed response.

I ended up following one of the posts regarding the Resoring the PLM.

I unplugged everything.

I factory reset the PLM.

I then turned back on both.

Then I did the 'Restore PLM' within the ISY admin software.

It did indeed finally fix the issue I was having.

Not sure why it happened to begin with.

I have been reading about how these PLM's go bad, so I'm concerned about its longevity.

And lastly, I will fix my signature, it is/was definitely out of date.

Thanks again.

Rob

I factory reset the PLM.

I then turned back on both.

You got lucky. The correct procedure is to turn on the PLM only, then wait a few seconds before turning on the ISY.

Hey Rob-

How old is that PLM?  The models with the power supply problems go about 2 years on average before showing signs of impending failure.  If yours is a Pre hardware Rev 2 and about 2 years old then it is time to think about repair or replacement.  If you have a Rev 2 then you likely have nothing to worry about.  Hardware Rev is usually on a white sticker on the underbelly of the PLM.

-Xathros

You got lucky. The correct procedure is to turn on the PLM only, then wait a few seconds before turning on the ISY.

That is what I did!

When I did the factory reset, I had the ISY unplugged.

I then unplugged the PLM for more than 10 seconds, and then plugged it back in. It took me about 30 seconds before I plugged back in ISY and then I took the time to log into the ISY admin console. Of course, I had to wait until the ISY finished it rebooting.

Only then did I do the Restore PLM.

I think I did the procedure the way it was called for.

But it's all working.

Even the doorbell project is finished and installed as of last night. I moved everything from my test bed (the couch) to installing it permanently in the closet next to the front door. Which had/is the transformer for the doorbell and all the wiring connections.

The old wired doorbell is mounted above the front door on the wall of outside of the closet. With the wiring to it coming thru the wall from the closet. You don't see any wires, the doorbell is directly over the hole in the wall.

The new iChime programmable doorbell is mount at eye level so I can easily change the settings (the unit does pop off the frame very easy but I didn't want to have to get on a ladder every time I wanted to adjust it. The frame is where the wires are connected, there is a circuit board type of connector that slips into the slot on the unit, and the unit slides down on the hooks in the frame. It's very easy to take on and off. It is mounted on the wall of the Foyer, which is the other wall of that closet. Again, no outward wires are seen.

There is an old standard 4 wire telephone wiring that runs to the back bedroom (my bedroom) inside the bedroom closet. That houses the back door bell and the external speaker of the iChime programmable doorbell. The back doorbell is wired to the front doorbell, I don't use it as a back door doorbell hookup.  The iChime serves as being a front door and back door announcement.

The back door hookup is not really monitoring any back door, I don't have a back door, instead I am using it with the I/O Linc and Open/Close Wireless Sensor to alert me if my front door is opened.  Usually happens when friends come over, they know the door is unlocked.

But it's all done, ALL of IT! Nothing left to automate. Well, there is one thing, but no hardware needs to be installed. I still need to see if my SmartenIt EZUIRT (it is a IR transmitter and receiver) can be programmed with the IR command of the Power Toggle setting of my Air conditioner. I've been told it can't learn that particular type of IR signal. I want to be able to turn on or off the Air Conditioner which is a thru the Window type but is controlled by IR remote controller. (My Harmony Remote can control it).

If it can't learn it, I was told to look into a Global Cache remote control transmitter and receiver.  But not sure if that can be managed by the ISY?

Rob

PS I have updated my 'signature' to represent my current Home Automation devices.

• 1 month later...

i have similar problems, mine seem to be centred on a file or device i used to have . it stopped working and was a remotelinc 2.  its address was when it stopped working i deleted it from the device list in the isy 994 its address was 1C.21.FD and it is now not there inthe isy44 console,  but when i try to link anything i get failure messages saying it cannot load  the file   /CONF/1C.21.FD.REC      but i do not seem to be able to find it to delete it or to disable and i cannot link my sensors anymore? can anyone give me advice.

note: some devices give error when linking of unabel to determine insteon engine

Hi, I'm having the communication from switch to ISY issue, all ISY issued commands work fine but turning on/off a device does not register the device is on at ISY. Weird thing is that this is not happening with all devices, just some. I do have a v99 PLM, it was brand new and I've only been using it for about 5 months. I bought it years ago but it sat in the box til then, do you think it's a cap issue?

You're talking about two different devices, an ISY 99 series and a PLM (which version?). Provide more details, such as the ISY firmware and which device are not recognized.

Hi stusviews & Michael

I was referring to my PLM version, I have a 2413S, v99.

I'm using an ISY 994ir Pro field modded with Zwave running version v.4.3.26. At the moment, I've been seeing the issue with a switchlinc, 2777S v.43. I just did a quick test of 2 other devices, one a switchlinc and one a keypadlinc, the switchlinc responded back to the ISY, the keypadlinc did not. There could be other devices but I haven't had a chance to track more down, seems to be random and it always seems to be  the same devices.

I've already tried restoring the PLM several times.

Lets see if link record or comm issue.

Do a Show Device Links Table on KPL.   Looking for a series of Controller links (start with E2) that point to the PLM.

E2 gg xx.yy.zz .. .. .. - where xx.yy.zz is current PLM Insteon address

gg = 01,03,04,05,06 for 6 button - 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08 for 8 button   

stusviews

Recently resolved a problem on another forum where stated, no "Delete PLM" had been issued.  The requested device and PLM link database displays showed a Delete PLM actually had been done.   My preference is to analyze a problem with actual data.      

I fully agree. Data can be used to diagnose communication, as well as hardware problems. That the problem is intermittent makes finding the culprit more difficult.

Stusviews: unfortunately the issue is not intermittent. It's happening 100% of the time with the devices it's happening on...it's just not happening on all devices.

LeeG: Here is the device link output the switchlinc that's not working, I figured it was easier to start there than the KPL.Switch is 2477S v.43. My PLM is 1C.FC.52

0 : 0FF8 : AA 00 1C.FC.52 00 1C 01
1 ; 0FF0 : 00 00 00.00.00 00 00 00

Archived