New Keypadlinc Green LED

hedgehogfrenzy

I just installed a new Keypadlinc, and every time you press a button, the green LED flashes as a transmit indicator, or something similar.  It's odd since none of my other keypads do it, plus it's kind of tacky.  I searched the forum and inter-webs for about 20 minutes but couldn't find a solution.

Anyone ever seen this or have any idea if it's a feature that's controllable...or if it's a permanent function of newer firmware?  Thanks.

I just replaced one too and have the same behavior. Its a diagnostic traffic indicator specific to the keypad:

Green: The Keypad saw the acknowledgement from the insteon network for the command that the key/keypad sent

Red:    The keypad did not see the acknowledgement from the insteon network for the command that the key/keypad sent

I've left it on because one of the keys controls several devices that are a long way off, control noisy loads and I want to observe it.

I just looked at the settings on the admin console for the new keypad that shows the red / green. It did not have blink on traffic set. I queried it, no options set. I set it, tested and unset. No effect. I could turn Beep and No LED on and off with the appropriate effects. I am using V5 firmware, not sure if that matters.

SL adds features to devices but doesn't always disclose them right away, or the messages needed to turn the features on and off. At this point I'm not sure how to defeat it programmatically.

Paul

New feature Diagnostic Indicator?

I wounder if UDI was even told of this update and if the modules new feature will need changes in the ISY994i  firmware?

Hi Brian

Let's say I reversed engineered what it does based on observations that are explainable. Another way to test it would be to control something like a single lamplinc that could be plugged / unplugged to see if its red when unplugged and green when plugged in. 

Its a 2334-2 v,43

Paul

Found this in the the manual:

LED Behavior Keypad has a dual-color green and red LED which momentarily indicates if a button press was successfully communicated to all scene members. LED State Meaning Blinks green once One or more scene members acknowledge the button press. Blinks red once One or more scene members did not acknowledge the button press (note: scene members may still have heard the scene command and adjusted their settings.)

The statements seem contradictory. Either one scene member did or didn't respond. I've never seen both colors blink in response to the same button press.I believe my observations are supported by the statement about Red, if one of them doesn't respond, it blinks red. My circuit in question has one of my oldest inlinelincs, but it does come back green some of the time.

Well I missed that page in the manual.

Thanks for waking me up. :oops:

Not a problem Brian. I had to search by LED, and then finally by Green. It was down in there a bit. No worries at all

Its more that its a change and we find out by installing and turning on :D

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the feedback. I posted this, then went traveling on business for a couple of weeks, and realized I never got back on here. So what I'm getting is that it looks like a new feature, that may be able to be adjusted when UDI updates ISY with new firmware features...or maybe this is now just the way it is.

It's not a huge deal, but not all that elegant either. It's Insteon, I should have expected that they'd change something random as I build out my system.

Yeah, it's the non error blink that I don't like. I don't have error issues and don't see the red. I only see the green when I press a button, which as far as I'm concerned, I don't need an indicator that it worked ok.

Overheard:

"What's a light mean?" Answer: "that means it worked right."

Thanks for all the feedback. I posted this, then went traveling on business for a couple of weeks, and realized I never got back on here. So what I'm getting is that it looks like a new feature, that may be able to be adjusted when UDI updates ISY with new firmware features...or maybe this is now just the way it is.

It's not a huge deal, but not all that elegant either. It's Insteon, I should have expected that they'd change something random as I build out my system.

Yes. 

I called insteon on this. In summary, a long conversation to find out that there does not appear to be a software method to defeat this feature as there is with beep, LED and Blink on Traffic

Paul

Archived