Energy - Cheating on lab tests

Teken

I am sure many of you are aware of the massive fall out from the VW scandal which is currently taking place. In a related article Samsung has been called to the carpet in a similar situation in the EU which you can read about here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/news/a17613/samsung-tvs-efficiency-test-discrepancy/

I know back in the day most of us could trust a company in being honest and forth right about specifications and energy consumption targets. But as time went on history has proven many companies have played a cat and mouse game in this area.

The FTC has most recently revamped and over hauled the Energy Guide / Energy Star rating and how these numbers are to be obtained and stated. As they found many companies were skewing the final results to obtain the power / KHW / annual costs.

Any product that has been made since January 2015 must meet the new rules, guidelines, and testing process outlined by the FTC. In Canada the same Energy Guide rating is followed and they too have tighten down on how manufactures are to test, review, and verify the energy consumption of their products.

In 2014 XMAS I purchased two beautiful LG LED Smart TV's.

With the power of my GEM & DB I was able to confirm the energy star settings but also customize them to my personal environment and use case. I am happy to say out of the box the LG TV's not only met their stated Energy Guide ratings but were lower.

Your thoughts about how the industry is doing and what your personal experience has been with various home appliances etc.

Archived