Cedia 2015

Scottmichaelj

So back from Cedia - nothing really IMHO to post or show. Most of what I saw was more AV integration. A lot of Homekit Apple Siri. The door lock companies showing their ZWave but no new news. I met with a few of my dealers. Of course Philips, HVAC and the big name guys all there.

The things I am looking forward to personally is Shakey working some magic with his ISY driver to RTI. I own RTI remotes which make my HA control that much better. The RTI XP processor acts nicely as its own node. Right now he is finishing his Vera controller RTI driver at the moment. So Ill be playing with that too.

I also waiting to see UDI v5, polyglot and Amazon Echo integration, which will also be that much more useful for me personally.

I was really discouraged to see most of these new devices being "closed". Companies are really pushing cloud and apps without wanting to release APIs for direct control. Not sure how they think AV companies are going to "integrate" if everything is cloud based. I dont find this direction helpful at all. Hunter Douglas is prime example, for some reason they refuse to release the TCP/ip command for PowerView Hub but will release the RS232. They released the TCP/ip for the prev version Platinum Gateway but REFUSE to release the PowerView hub. I have spoken directly to their head of motorization and got no where. I keep trying to get the point a crossed but they are shade company first with "maybe" helping AV installers, again making it a closed system.

At the end of the day I kept preaching to the reps we need APIs to be open so we can get whatever devices to talk to directly to each other. I personally believe in one device to control everything. I would love my RTI XP processor or ISY controller be able to control all my devices in my home directly without the need for cloud services. Most companies are able to keep their system closed and use Homekit to be the center hub. This works for the masses sure but not for true HA integration. It seems we are right on the cusp of breaking out but still not 100% there yet.

Thanks Huddadudda 

The industry seems to be on a standards kick in industry groups, but in dis-integration mode out in retail land. You've probably been in IT a while and have seen this phenomenon before.... we just have to weather this out, and count on the standards to get agreed to and adopted' so node servers will help us connect it all.

Paul

Thanks Huddadudda

The industry seems to be on a standards kick in industry groups, but in dis-integration mode out in retail land. You've probably been in IT a while and have seen this phenomenon before.... we just have to weather this out, and count on the standards to get agreed to and adopted' so node servers will help us connect it all.

Paul

Yes I agree with you. I was VERY underwhelmed and its sad I wasnt excited by anything there but more excited by the prospects here. I spent all that money to go out to Dallas too. Maybe I am just getting old and grumpy?

Edit: Now knowing what I know I should have just sent a couple thousand dollars to UDI instead of going! ;)

I was in Dallas/Coppell weekly this time last year and would have joined you if it was there, but it was probably somewhere else. 

I think that new HA users will quickly get tired of simply turning their lights on with their phone and want more, like we all ready have.  That's probably good, but the potentially disturbing trend is that these problems will try to get solved in mobile app / cloud land like Nest, rather than dedicated home controller land. The other trend are alarm system that allow some very basic logic with zwave, but nothing to the degree we have. 

Archived