Interface with Amazon Echo?

awzulich

Michel - i read the entire thread on Echo / Hue / ISY - quite a read, about two hours!  Other than the cloud hosted model versus LAN only, what are the differences between the community project from Barry and others, versus the "official" UDI integration?  Is the functionality the same?  What will the cost be for the UDI solution when certified?  (I have an ISY994 and an entire Insteon based HA setup - climate, motion, lights, sprinkler, etc) Thanks!

Hi pjt588,

I have not personally used what Barry and others have graciously contributed and tirelessly worked on. So, I cannot comment on the differences.

With ISY Portal, you should be able to use Alexa, turn something on/off. For things that are not lighting, then you will need to use Alexa tell to lock all doors, etc. Or Run x.

Cost of ISYPortal currently is $49.00 for two years.

With kind regards,

Michel

Pretty excited to see all the work with Amazon Echo.  I just bought one and am already enjoying it a lot.  This type of device is a huge addition to home automation.  I've got autovoice allowing voice control of lighting via ISY but think an always on device in the kitchen (i.e. echo) will be better suited for voice control.  Ive seen the current solutions you've mentioned for integrating Echo, but this is first I've seen about ISY's official integration.  The other solutions are awesome, but I definitely prefer to not depend on another local computer and don't mind dependency on cloud for echo integration as it is not critical.

Anyway, with that said, from what I understand, UDI's official implementation will require ISY portal ($50 for 2 years).  Is this correct?

Also, does ISY's Portal implementation mean that items such as IFTTT integration will also follow? 

I guess what I am asking is, other than network access without Port forwarding, what does Portal offer (currently and going forward)?

Thanks Michel.  Is it just the portal or is there another component for Alexa integration via the portal that is not available yet?  If i purchase the portal today, can i have Alexa integration today and where are the instructions to make this work?  Last - where do i buy the portal?  I looked on the UDI website and didn't see it. Thx!

Thanks Michel.  Is it just the portal or is there another component for Alexa integration via the portal that is not available yet?  If i purchase the portal today, can i have Alexa integration today and where are the instructions to make this work?  Last - where do i buy the portal?  I looked on the UDI website and didn't see it. Thx!

Sorry, not today...

The Alexa ISY interface for connected home and skill have been submitted to Amazon for approval.  These are not available for your Echo yet.  Once Amazon approves and publishes them, then you will need the ISY portal and will need to link the ISY portal to your Amazon account.  Until then, the ISY portal will allow you remote access to your ISY without the need to port forward and know your external IP address much like Mobilinc Connect does but without the extra features that Mobilinc Connect offers.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

Will this new Alexa skill allow the querying of information from the ISY?. For example, "Alexa ask ISY what the current temperature is." or "Alexa ask ISY the status of living room light. "

Absolutely, any device that can be controlled can also be queried.

In the case of the temperature, I'm assuming that you are referring to the ambiant temperature of one of your thermostat, so it's yes.

Benoit.

Chuck,

I think you should take this up with Amazon. We are simply working within the constraints of their environment.

With kind regards,

Michel

I was getting excited until I saw that constraint. Being able to say "Alexa, turn on living room lights" would be really useful, but if it required adding a "tell ISY to" in the middle of that, it would pretty much kill it and wouldn't be worth while. It would just take too long to say it.

I was getting excited until I saw that constraint. Being able to say "Alexa, turn on living room lights" would be really useful, but if it required adding a "tell ISY to" in the middle of that, it would pretty much kill it and wouldn't be worth while. It would just take too long to say it.

From what I understand you will in fact be able to do as you wish. Remember that there are two layers to this. Alexa can understand basic lighting commands and pass them onto the ISY using natural language such as "Alexa, turn off kitchen lights", however when you wish to launch programs, you would then need to access the ISY skill which would require the additional wording such as "Alexa, tell home to run program xxxxx". At least this is my understanding...

Chuck

I think w/ a thermostat it would be good to know the ambient temp & the heat/cool set point. I actually think the current set point would be more useful but getting both back on a single call would be nice.

The skill handles that has well.

In regards to thermostats, you can:

- Get the temp

- Get/Set Mode

- Get/Set setpoints for cool or heat

- Increase/decrease setpoint for cool or heat

Getting setpoints is done either for cool or heat, in 2 different calls. But that could be easily enhanced. Good suggestion.

Benoit.

From what I understand you will in fact be able to do as you wish. Remember that there are two layers to this. Alexa can understand basic lighting commands and pass them onto the ISY using natural language such as "Alexa, turn off kitchen lights", however when you wish to launch programs, you would then need to access the ISY skill which would require the additional wording such as "Alexa, tell home to run program xxxxx". At least this is my understanding...

Chuck

That's right, your understanding is correct.

Benoit

Just to clarify. There are going to be two integrations between ISY Portal and Alexa/Echo.

1) Connected Home API. Limited functionality to whatever Amazon allows (mainly lighting commands), but natural language.

2) Skill. Requires 'tell ISY to...', but functionality expandable by UDI to include things like querying devices, non-lighting control etc.

My main concern/question...

I'm assuming (and it is confirmed above) that the connected home method will allow on/off (and dimming?) controls of devices and/or scenes. However, if possible can we be able to assign a spoken element to a program and 'Alexa, Turn the xyz on' calls 'RunThen' and 'Alexa, Turn the xyz off' calls 'RunElse'? That would really expand the natural language capability if possible.

Edited by MWareman

Just to clarify. There are going to be two integrations between ISY Portal and Alexa/Echo.

1) Connected Home API. Limited functionality to whatever Amazon allows (mainly lighting commands), but natural language.

2) Skill. Requires 'tell ISY to...', but functionality expandable by UDI to include things like querying devices, non-lighting control etc.

I'm assuming (and it is confirmed above) that the connected home method will allow on/off (and dimming?) controls of devices and/or scenes. However, if possible can we be able to assign a spoken element to a program and 'Alexa, Turn the xyz on' calls 'RunThen' and 'Alexa, Turn the xyz off' calls 'RunElse'? That would really expand the natural language capability if possible.

My gut tells me this won't be possible until the introduction of virtual devices in ISY. I hope I'm wrong... Edited by ahwman

Dimming ISY devices is supported on the Connected home API (And also the skill).

In regards to programs, I have struggled to find a natural way of launching programs. 

All I could come up with is:

Alexa, tell home to run ...

Alexa, tell home to execute ...

The problem with 'Alexa, Turn the xyz on' is that it can/will be confused with devices. 

FYI, programs do not have a spoken field associated to them. So, the skill will try to do a match with the program name, 

Benoit.

UDI has written an Alexa skill and submitted it to Amazon for approval.  No idea how long this process takes.  In addition, there is a community project that already has Echo working with the ISY but it requires another machine in the middle like a Raspberry Pi or full time PC.

See this long thread for details:http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/14525-amazon-echo-and-isy/

-Xathros

Do you need any beta testers for the new ISY Skill or Connected Home link?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Michel and UDI,

I didn't notice anyone say this yet, but Thank you for so quickly designing and submitting a Skill for Echo to improve the functionality of our ISYs. Buying my 994i a couple years ago was the best HA purchase I've made, and its really nice that you guys do such a great job supporting and improving your product.

I'm trying to understand the main differences between using the Hue Emualtor to link up with the ISY and Echo versus the ISY portal in terms of benefits vs drawbacks...

I'm not too keen on the idea of another ongoing fee which would apply to the portal, however I also don't want to get caught up in a hacked together project requiring a lot of set up and programming. I'm just trying to do my homework before moving forward in either direction...

Thanks,

Chuck