Interface with Amazon Echo?

awzulich

Three questions:

Does IFTTT require the ISY portal?

If not, how does IFTTT communicate with the ISY?

Is there a lot of latency executing commands?

Thanks so much,

Chuck

-No

-Echo via IFTTT skill to maker channel to ISY

-Unsure as I dont have a SSL cert to send url commands from the Maker Channel to the ISY. BUT...I have IFTTT access through my remote control system. When I press a "DO" button it happens fairly quickly maybe 5 secs or less? Feels pretty quick.

-No

-Unsure as I dont have a SSL cert to send url commands from the Maker Channel to the ISY. BUT...I have IFTTT access through my remote control system. When I press a "DO" button it happens fairly quickly maybe 5 secs or less? Feels pretty quick.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I'm just concerned that the upcoming ISY skill is going to introduce a significant delay in processing commands since it has to up to the cloud, be processed, then back down from the cloud to the ISY, etc. whereas an emulator is processing all requests locally. I just haven't had good luck getting the emulator to work on my Windows VM...

-No

To complete this... 'Alexa, trigger kitchen light' results in Alexa saying 'Sending that to it'. The light responds before Alexa finishes saying the response.

That being said, I have had a few times today that Alexa responded properly, but the IFTTT trigger was not called. Not sure why.

I'm using a simple .php script on my SSL protected Apache host so I don't have to store my ISY credentials with IFTTT. It also allows me to watch a log to see the Maker channel call my server and move the credential away from 'Basic' to 'key' based.

This will be much easier with upcoming features to ISYPortal. I suspect many will subscribe as it will certainly make doing this easier, and eliminate the requirement for everyone to have their own SSL certificate (as well as deal with the complications involved).

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I'm just concerned that the upcoming ISY skill is going to introduce a significant delay in processing commands since it has to up to the cloud, be processed, then back down from the cloud to the ISY, etc. whereas an emulator is processing all requests locally. I just haven't had good luck getting the emulator to work on my Windows VM...

I don't think its going to be an issue. I think your over analyzing things too much. Just sit back, relax with a beverage and game of your choice and wait till things come out. Then get feedback and make your decision then. Grab an Echo on sale if you like and if you change your mind you have 30 days to return it. Don't stress about it and remember this is all early development.

Even with the local Hub emulator, your voice goes up to the cloud for processing then back down to Alexa for processing before being sent to the Hub emulator.

There is no measurable loss of latency with Alexa sending the voice to the cloud and it simply getting processed there. At least, I'm not seeing any significant latency with my Alexa => (cloud) => IFTTT => Maker Channel => (back from cloud) => Custom .php => ISY setup.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I don't think its going to be an issue. I think your over analyzing things too much. Just sit back, relax with a beverage and game of your choice and wait till things come out. Then get feedback and make your decision then. Grab an Echo on sale if you like and if you change your mind you have 30 days to return it. Don't stress about it and remember this is all early development.

Yeah, you're probably right as I suffer from analysis peralisys . That said, I did purchase two Edho's for $149 and should be delivered this Tuesday. I wonder how close UDI is to getting the ISY skill published? Hope soon!

Even with the local Hub emulator, your voice goes up to the cloud for processing then back down to Alexa for processing before being sent to the Hub emulator.

There is no measurable loss of latency with Alexa sending the voice to the cloud and it simply getting processed there. At least, I'm not seeing any significant latency with my Alexa => (cloud) => IFTTT => Maker Channel => (back from cloud) => Custom .php => ISY setup.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

That's encouraging, thanks for sharing...

Yeah, you're probably right as I suffer from analysis peralisys . That said, I did purchase two Edho's for $149 and should be delivered this Tuesday. I wonder how close UDI is to getting the ISY skill published? Hope soon!

Michel said on 11/11 in the other thread it was submitted to Amazon and approval "could be" between 10-20 days, as long as Amazon doesnt come back with more revision requirements.

I was watching a few YouTube videos today which utilize Echo skills to tie into HA like the ISY portal will eventually do. That said, there were huge delays sometimes as much as 15 seconds between issuing a command and the execution of it. I certainly hope we don't see these kinds of delays with the ISY portal & Echo integration. Any thoughts?

I can tell you that with the ISY skill, it is far from taking 15 seconds. More in the range of 1-2 seconds at most.

Benoit.

I can tell you that with the ISY skill, it is far from taking 15 seconds. More in the range of 1-2 seconds at most.

Benoit.

That's wonderful news! Thanks so much for the confirmation...

By the way what's the feeling regarding when we might see final approval for the ISY skill?

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

To our surprise, the Alexa Skills Team offered to go through the rest of the issues with us over the phone before our next submission! I am very pleased!

We'll keep you all posted.

With kind regards,

Michel

Does that mean after this next submission it will also be reviewed sooner than the typical 10 days since they are assisting you directly? It's awesome you will be able to actually talk with them to get real time feedback.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi Chuck,

To our surprise, the Alexa Skills Team offered to go through the rest of the issues with us over the phone before our next submission! I am very pleased!

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks for the update Michel. It sounds like it's a pretty lengthy and thorough approval process. Hopefully soon we'll be commanding our homes just like the scifi dreams of our childhood...

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

To our surprise, the Alexa Skills Team offered to go through the rest of the issues with us over the phone before our next submission! I am very pleased!

With kind regards,

Michel

That is excellent news and a far cry from the days when Amazon wouldn't even acknowledge UDI's existence.  Lets hope this is the beginnings of a good working relationship between UDI and Amazon.

-Xathros

That is excellent news and a far cry from the days when Amazon wouldn't even acknowledge UDI's existence.  Lets hope this is the beginnings of a good working relationship between UDI and Amazon.

-Xathros

That's wonderful when companies take an active interest in their customers and partners which is how it should be. FYI, I just received my two Echo's yesterday and I have to say I am absolutely stunned by how well this product works. Every element of the Echo has exceeded my expectations. After years of working with HA, I believe this will be a major game changer especially when incorporated with the power of the ISY.

On a side note, I installed some skills just to play around and get better aquatinted with how they work. That said, I noticed that you can actually open an app and once inside simply issue commands without invoking the skill (i.e. "Alexa, open the Bible app" followed by "Alexa read the scripture of the day") until leaving the app. Will the ISY skill function this way? As I was thinking, it sure would be nice and more natural to be able to say, "Pause DVR" instead of "Alexa, tell Izzy to run Pause DVR"...

So excited for final approval of the ISY skill!

Chuck

Echo's microphone allows giving commands without the wake word (i.e., Alexa or Amazon), for example, "set the living room light to 50%." I don't know how that'll work with Echo and the ISY.

Echo's microphone allows giving commands without the wake word (i.e., Alexa or Amazon), for example, "set the living room light to 50%." I don't know how that'll work with Echo and the ISY.

I thought you ALWAYS has to say the wake word before giving a command...  So are you saying with the BWS or Jimbo's emulator you can simply say "turn the tv off" and it will work?!

I thought you ALWAYS has to say the wake word before giving a command...  So are you saying with the BWS or Jimbo's emulator you can simply say "turn the tv off" and it will work?!

Echo has a remote control with a microphone button that has to be pressed to issue commands.  Essentially you're waking Alexa by pressing and holding the button.

Jon...

Doesn't seem to work that way for me.  I always need to say "Alexa, turn on the..."

-Xathros

EDIT: As Jon pointed out above, you can issue the commands without the wake word if waking the echo with her remote button.  I suspect this is what Stu meant.

Any command using the microphone does not require the wake word. Pressing the voice button wakes the Echo. I don't have an emulator, so I can't test that.

It does work as you describe with the emulator.  Initially it wasn't clear that you were referring to the mic on the remote.

-Xathros

Archived