Interface with Amazon Echo?

awzulich

Would someone please help? I've set up a test trigger using IFTTT and then Maker channel. I know that the URL is working correctly as I've tested it several times outside of my network and triggers perfectly each time, however it doesn't seem to be working when triggered from the maker channel. I have attached a screenshot of my configuration (changed user/password of course) and I assume I'm missing something. I appreciate any help!

Chuck

post-2755-0-07999700-1447964100_thumb.png

Would someone please help? I've set up a test trigger using IFTTT and then Maker channel. I know that the URL is working correctly as I've tested it several times outside of my network and triggers perfectly each time, however it doesn't seem to be working when triggered from the maker channel. I have attached a screenshot of my configuration (changed user/password of course) and I assume I'm missing something. I appreciate any help!

Chuck

Chuck-

For me I could only get the url to work locally internally on my network. Outside it appeared you had to use https which maker didnt like because I did not have a ssl cert installed on the ISY/my domain. I suspect you may be having the same issue as me. So we wait for the portal or if someone can help & correct us/me too? Did you look at the log for maker? What was the error?

Chuck-

For me I could only get the url to work locally internally on my network. Outside it appeared you had to use https which maker didnt like because I did not have a ssl cert installed on the ISY/my domain. I suspect you may be having the same issue as me. So we wait for the portal or if someone can help & correct us/me too? Did you look at the log for maker? What was the error?

That's a bummer. Was hoping to at least play around until the portal is available. That's strange that it wouldn't work using http from the Maker app as it works fine outside of my LAN using http. That said, I don't see any errors in the Maker log files for this recipe...

Thanks,

Chuck

That's a bummer. Was hoping to at least play around until the portal is available. That's strange that it wouldn't work using http from the Maker app as it works fine outside of my LAN using http. That said, I don't see any errors in the Maker log files for this recipe...

Thanks,

Chuck

What is the full url scheme your using?

Posted in another thread:

The general format is:

https://$ISYuser:$ISYpassword@$ISYurl/rest/programs/$ISY_Node/$run_option
Where $run_option is one of: runIf, runThen, runElse.

I have programs that toggle lights - so I use runIf to run the toggle. The programs themselves are 'disabled'.

I have a .php script where my Maker URL is more like:

https://api.domain.com/ifttt/$APIKEY/rest/programs/$ISY_Node/$run_option

If the $APIKEY is correct and /rest/programs/ follows - the URL get's sent to ISY with authentication (minus the /ifttt/$APIKEY). No need to store the password on IFTTT...

The SSL certificate needs to be trusted by IFTTT. This means you need a paid certificate - not a self-signed one.

Thanks,

Chuck

The portal is available however I don't believe IFTTT and/or Echo are supported yet.

Jon...

Maker will not make non-ssl requests. Period. Nobody should - its not secure and you are telling your ISP, their ISP and every carrier in between your ISY password and username. There are no errors, because they simply ignore non-ssl rules to protect you from yourself.

Not only does it need SSL, but it needs SSL that they trust. So, not self signed. Not cacert.org. A fully trusted certificate, and that likely means a paid certificate and a custom domain name (most CAs won't issue to dynamic DNS domain names).

The Portal has a fully trusted SSL certificate, allowing you to use this with the Maker channel if you don't want to setup the domain name and trusted SSL yourself. It will likely have other features soon-ish to make Maker channel integration even easier. Personally, I'm excited about this one!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Maker will not make non-ssl requests. Period. Nobody should - its not secure and you are telling your ISP, their ISP and every carrier in between your ISY password and username. There are no errors, because they simply ignore non-ssl rules to protect you from yourself.

Not only does it need SSL, but it needs SSL that they trust. So, not self signed. Not cacert.org. A fully trusted certificate, and that likely means a paid certificate and a custom domain name (most CAs won't issue to dynamic DNS domain names).

The Portal has a fully trusted SSL certificate, allowing you to use this with the Maker channel if you don't want to setup the domain name and trusted SSL yourself. It will likely have other features soon-ish to make Maker channel integration even easier. Personally, I'm excited about this one!

Thanks so much for the explanation as that makes perfect sense. I already have a domain name, however purchasing a trusted SSL certificate probably doesn't make sense as I'll be purchasing the ISY portal once the Echo skill is approved. That said, is it possible to use the ISY portal right now with Maker?

Thanks again

On a side note, I installed some skills just to play around and get better aquatinted with how they work. That said, I noticed that you can actually open an app and once inside simply issue commands without invoking the skill (i.e. "Alexa, open the Bible app" followed by "Alexa read the scripture of the day") until leaving the app. Will the ISY skill function this way?

Yes and no.

When you issue a complete voice command, it will proceed, give you feedback, and terminate.

However, if some information is missing, then it enters conversation mode and asks you for more information, then proceed, give you feedback, and terminate.

Here's an example:

User: Alexa, ask ISY to change setpoint

Alexa: Setpoint for which device?

User: second floor

Alexa: Setpoint for which mode. Heating or Cooling?

User: heating

Alexa: What themperature?

User: 23 degrees

Alexa: second floor heating setpoint is now set to 23 degrees

Or you could just say:

User: Alexa, tell ISY to set second floor cooling setpoint to 23 degrees

Alexa: second floor heating setpoint is now set to 23 degrees

NOTE: You may have noticed the "ISY" skill invocation name. Due to certification feedback, we are back to "ISY", but this time spoken as "izzy" (Not I.S.Y.).

Benoit.

Should be, though I haven't tried it. The rest api works the same, but with the credentials being Portal user credentials instead of ISY credentials. You could create a secondary user for Maker to use - but - I have not tested if Maker can user usernames that are email addresses - having an @ in them might cause a problem. There is a solution pending for this, but I don't know the timeframe.

That aside - I'll test it tonight... Hopefully.

Thanks so much for the explanation as that makes perfect sense. I already have a domain name, however purchasing a trusted SSL certificate probably doesn't make sense as I'll be purchasing the ISY portal once the Echo skill is approved. That said, is it possible to use the ISY portal right now with Maker?

Thanks again

Unfortunately, it's not possible yet. Every HTTP(S) requests require an authorization headers with basic auth. The maker channel does not allow to specify a user/password.

Benoit.

Unfortunately, it's not possible yet. Every HTTP(S) requests require an authorization headers with basic auth. The maker channel does not allow to specify a user/password.

Benoit.

Benoit, they do appear to support basic auth with the uri format https://usernameassword@host (this is an RFC requirement) - but I think there will be an problem with usernames that contain @ - and since ISYPortal uses email addresses as usernames....

Michel/UDI

I just purchased my ISY a few weeks ago and I am happy to say that everything my research told me about it was true and more, and that the only limitation to it's functionally is my imagination.  

I have just spent the last few days reading and getting caught up on everything I could find about Echo integration with the ISY.  I am anxious to get the new Skill as soon as it is certified.  

Please correct me if I am wrong but from what I have read so far it seems like direct access like the (Hue, Wemo, Instion Hub) would be much Superior to a Skill.  Is there any talk about this becoming a reality in the near future. and if so what are the chances.  

Please correct me if I am wrong but from what I have read so far it seems like direct access like the (Hue, Wemo, Instion Hub) would be much Superior to a Skill.  Is there any talk about this becoming a reality in the near future. and if so what are the chances.  

Please allow me to answer your question. If I understand correctly, you are referring to the Alexa connected home (In the echo app, in Settings/Connected home). Both a skill and a connected home connector are waiting for certification.

Also, I'm not sure that I would qualify the connected home connector as superior. This connected home connector, only allows to to turn on/turn off and set a brightness level. It does not offer the level of freedom that is possible with a skill, like lock/unlock doors or set thermostat settings. The only benefit is shorter spoken commands.

Benoit.

Thank you Benoit for your response

I think I understand now, you use the connected home for simple things like lights and a skill for more advanced things.  I guess I was hoping with the power of the ISY the connected home would be able to do everything by just asking Alexa without having to ask Alexa to ask Izzy.

thank you for clarifying that.

Thanks again

i purchased a cert for my domain i had installed on my ISY for mobilinc originally but then rebound it yo my synology NAS for secure remote access.  Whats interesting is that didn't invalidate the cert for mobilinc because it doesn't do revocation checking! :-) yay 2 for the price of one.  I also already purchases the ISY portal - i like the potential of it.

Looking forward to the Echo support!

I took the ISY plunge for the Echo support and bought the Echo because of the ISY support.

I really think this is a game changer for HA.

All Echo needs now is a skill  "Alexa send a 6 pack to Michel and Benoit."

Archived