KPL Dimmer - Back lighting goes dark at night?

Teken

I have a KPL dimmer that just started going dark (LED back lighting) mostly at night? The unit continues to operate when any of the eight buttons are pressed. Selecting any of the eight keys also lights up that specific LED.

Yet the remaining keys are completely black and appears to be set to the lowest setting of off. Currently the only method to restore the back lighting is to air gap the device via the set button.

My next step is to hard reset the device and then perform a restore device to see if it correct this odd behavior. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this odd issue and if its a sign of a bad KPL about to give up the ghost?

For back ground reference this KPL has only been set to a moderate dim level to balance access and sleeping. There are no programs that do any kind of funky beeping, dimming, or otherwise. I've resisted doing the hard reset and restore device because this device is part of a massive scene. I have lots of older Insteon devices which are single band in various iterations so writing to them is very time consuming.

My plan moving forward is to perform a restore device first just before bed time so I won't have to sit there and watch!

Insight . . .

What does the ISY report as the LED level when the back lighting goes dark on its own?

I will confirm what the ISY Series Controller indicates when it happens again. Hopefully it will happen again tonight if not I will report back when it does.

I have a program that runs twice daily to enable/disable my KPL backlights in the bedrooms.  Don't like the light at night.  I would think you would be able to recover from this with a program like:

ComeOnBabyLightMyKPL - [ID 0009][Parent 0001]

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        Set 'Office / Office KPL / Office KPLA' On 15 / Off 7 (Backlight Level)

Else
        Set 'Office / Office KPL / Office KPLA' On  2 / Off 0 (Backlight Level)

Just RunThen to light it up or RunElse to go dark.

-Xathros

I have a program that runs twice daily to enable/disable my KPL backlights in the bedrooms.  Don't like the light at night.  I would think you would be able to recover from this with a program like:

ComeOnBabyLightMyKPL - [ID 0009][Parent 0001]

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        Set 'Office / Office KPL / Office KPLA' On 15 / Off 7 (Backlight Level)

Else
        Set 'Office / Office KPL / Office KPLA' On  2 / Off 0 (Backlight Level)

Just RunThen to light it up or RunElse to go dark.

-Xathros

Hello Xathros,

That is a great fix but I would like very much to isolate the root cause because the unit should not go dark with out user intervention / want.

OK - Do a search with the find in the program tree for the KPL in question and look for any program that uses the notation I provided above to set the backlights on that KPL.

-Xathros

OK - Do a search with the find in the program tree for the KPL in question and look for any program that uses the notation I provided above to set the backlights on that KPL.

-Xathros

I can definitely search but I can assure you there are no programs that do this. I am probably the most boring person with respect to custom use of the KPL. I don't do any funky beeping, flashing, or dim levels.

Its just set to one threshold permanently . . .

I suspect a program got inadvertently/unintentionally changed to cause this hence the search since otherwise you would likely know where to look!

:)

-Xathros

I suspect a program got inadvertently/unintentionally changed to cause this hence the search since otherwise you would likely know where to look!

:)

-Xathros

Touche, will check for sure once I am back home. Perhaps this is related to the 3 AM query all not being able to find the *My Lighting* scene. I updated a few times and noticed this program wasn't running anymore. Upon closer inspection the then clause was blank?

I never made any changes that program, ever.

I also noticed some e-mail alerts using the default system choice no longer presents any values?

Figures I write about how this KPL has been consistently going dark for several weeks. Now, it just operates fine with out any user intervention?!?! I still plan on capturing what the ISY believes the LED settings are when it happens.

Just wanted to update this thread that nothing super fantastic has happen since my last posting.

Archived