Best way to fix broken ground wire?

I had that happen on one of mine.  I ended up looping it around the bottom screw between the head and the aluminum frame then tightened the screw.

-Xathros

I'm assuming the ground wire doesn't have anything to do with the actual insteon communication across the power lines, correct?

Correct.  Just a safety ground in case anything HOT on the inside comes in contact with the frame.

-Xathros

Actually both line and neutral are required and can be reversed. If you then connect the load between the red (load) wire and line--instead of between the red (load) wire and neutral--everything will function as it should.

Open the unit up and solder in a new ground wire or release the stub and crimp on a butt-splice connector and extend the wire.

Do not solder a ground wire unless the crimp is made first. Solder can evaporate and blow connections apart during bad faults. Solder is a poor conductor.

There's no need to use the ground wire attached (or not attached) to the device. Simply wrap the ground wire from the Romex or other cable around the screw that secures the device as any electrician would do.

Archived