Tiger Direct has 6button 2334 on sale for $40

Gee

I don't see a "for sale" section so I'm posting this here. It seems like a pretty good deal to me (and I don't think the Smarthome forum would appreciate it if I posted it there 8) )

Looks like they're blowning these out over at Tiger Direct with a price of $39.xx. If you put together a $100 order and use VisaCheckout right now, you can take $25 bucks off your total order.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9516786&CatId=7187

(I have no affiliation whatsoever to/with VisaCheckout or TD)

The model# on these is 2334-292 - from what I understand they are identical to those at Smarthome model# 2334-232 except for the packaging. Also, these can be converted to 8 button units with a faceplate swap the runs about $6 bucks.

I don't see a "for sale" section so I'm posting this here. It seems like a pretty good deal to me (and I don't think the Smarthome forum would appreciate it if I posted it there 8) )

Looks like they're blowning these out over at Tiger Direct with a price of $39.xx. If you put together a $100 order and use VisaCheckout right now, you can take $25 bucks off your total order.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9516786&CatId=7187

The model# on these is 2334-292 - from what I understand they are identical to those at Smarthome model# 2334-232 except for the packaging. Also, these can be converted to 8 button units with a faceplate swap the runs about $6 bucks.

It never fails to amaze me when trying to make purchases from America to Canada that a company will do everything they can to make it difficult to do business and make a purchase.

Their system indicates every country known to man yet Canada isn't listed. Their Verified by VISA won't accept any Canadian addresses either! 

Their unhelpful on line support also indicated the obvious which was *Hey go to the CA website*

Yes, I am going to go that miserable web site so I can pay 3 times more. Plus the item is not actually listed which is no surprise as its only on the American side! Then, to add insult to injury he says I can use wire transfer but wait for it.

To use the Wire Transfer option I have the privilege of paying these crooks an additional $25.00!

So lets summarize here for those who didn't quite follow.

- Yes they will ship to Canada but its considered International this is normal. But to do so I have to use wire transfer and pay an extra $25.00. The Verified by VISA $25.00 discount doesn't work because their system is retarded and says you can't. Again because it won't take Canada as a country selection!

Yet it has every backs woods dirt eating country listed?!?!?

Just wow . . .

All I wanted was 4 units that's it not like I was asking for the freaking moon! 

Note that the warranty on this is only 2 months parts and 2 months labor. That tells me they are almost certainly refurbished.

Sorry, my Canadian brothas. I'd offer to purchase and forward, but I'm pretty sure the VisaCheckout is a single use deal and I've used mine now at TD. Plus the re-ship cost dilutes the discount even more - bummer ! :roll:

As to the warranty, I did not see that "2 months" but I'm still willing to take the chance. I do not think these are refurbs though. Pretty certain refurbished/used/open-box items must be listed as such - it's a legal requirement (at least here in the US) and the listing does not specify that these anything less than NEW.

With regard to the custom buttons - custom is custom and custom is expensive. The custom buttons for this unit are the same price as any other Insteon unit. You can buy a set of 10 blanks for $6 bucks and use a label maker if you're so inclined or spend between $15 and $25 and get a 25 or 50 pre-printed set as an alternative.

A guy on the radio explained this years back.

Canadian vendors go to a US distributor/manufacturer and offer to distribute their product in Canada. They offer to advertise the product and promote to a specified amount. The manufacturer figures "What the heck? It's only a small market anyway and it isn't costing us anything."

In return the Canuck promoter demands exclusive rights in Canada and gets a commission for every item sold in Canada whether it gets touched by him or not. "Exclusive Distributorship"

Next thing ya' know the item becomes big and now this middleman gouges the Canuck population and the manufacturer cannot touch the anything past the northern border without paying an exorbitant premium for being foolish in the beginning of their product life.

Sony was  good example of that years back and still remains today AFAIK and explains why their products are so overpriced for mediocre quality.

Just as a bit of follow-up...

I received my order today. The units were sealed and complete - they are NEW (not refurb).  Also, the packaging is labeled as 2334-292, but the unit itself has 2334-232 on it.   This is consistent with Brian H.'s post.

I don't know what the warranty situation actually is, but the packaging states very plainly "2-year warranty". I hope I have no reason to even check on this. My guess is the Tiger Direct typo-ed the 2 "months" mistakenly when it should have been "years" . I think Insteon would make good on it if push came to shove.

TigerDirect.COM doesn't ship to Canada because they have a Canadian website, TigerDirect.CA. They do not have on-line sites in the other countries listed.

Yes and the the best deal for an 8 button on TigerDirect.CA is $112.  6 Buttons are going for $119.  Now I remember why I never shop there.

Yes and the the best deal for an 8 button on TigerDirect.CA is $112.  6 Buttons are going for $119.  Now I remember why I never shop there.

The insanity doesn't stop there go to the so called Canadian NCIX, Circuit City, etc. Your freaking eyes will pop out of your head if you think its just Tiger Direct.CA.

People honestly have to ask and take pause why on Gods green Earth would I ever spend triple when I can buy it direct from Smarthome even with duties, tax's, shipping its less . . .

Well, not anymore as much given the Canadian dollar is completely in the toilet. 

• 1 month later...

It appears Tiger Direct has completely gotten out of home automation products.  The Home Automation link redirects to an all products sale page.  Searches for Insteon, Zwave, Lutron, Home Automation all return zero results.

I really am starting to wonder what's going on with Insteon.  It seems that all third party sellers have been clearing stock over the last 6-9 months.

It appears Tiger Direct has completely gotten out of home automation products. The Home Automation link redirects to an all products sale page. Searches for Insteon, Zwave, Lutron, Home Automation all return zero results.

I really am starting to wonder what's going on with Insteon. It seems that all third party sellers have been clearing stock over the last 6-9 months.

Yes, this has been seen by me and other members. The following stores cleared out stock of Insteon: Walmart, Best Buy, Tiger Direct.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Looks like RadioShack fell off too

However, most of these still sell it, if online. For instance, Best Buy still sells online.  I buy mine "need it now" items at Menard's in store now.

I would say there is some re-assessment and alignment going on.

Paul

The alignment I saw first hand at several of the big electronic stores was everyone carrying lots of junk products. Off the top of my head were lots of stand alone alarm systems that sit on your counter.

Next, was the endless toy like video cameras and my favorite was the massive amounts of wearable's. Literally one store had a dedicated isle of watches, fitness monitors, to baby cams.

The reality is people really need to take pause when huge stores are replacing well known brands with the likes of Swann, Canary, etc.

I have to assume the profit margins are higher then to carry Insteon as a product. Can't say for sure besides places like Best Buy haven't been known to be business smart!

They are right up there with Sears, Radio Shack, Circuit City, Block Busters, etc. All of them going out of business because they have no clue about the market.

Tiger Direct is rumored to be going out of business. I keep getting bombarded with emails about 80% off sales. A few weeks ago they changed their return policy to all sales are final no returns.

Tiger Direct was recently acquired by PCM so I doubt they're going out of business.

Jon...

Tiger Direct can fold and never open their doors ever again and I won't lose any sleep. Never seen anything worth a damn in their stores or on line.

On line stores like Amazon, NCIX, New Egg, have always beat TD's price and selection. TD was in my mind the KMart / Woolsworth of electronics.

Let them die LOL . . . 

Archived