Version 5, ISY portal, echo, hue bridge, mapper, elexa skill! SO MUCH CONFUSION - Help!!

502ss

Larry - based on this post are you now saying it would be possible for me to link a KPL button (or switch) to a program that would call a network resource to turn on the HUE bulbs to a direct color of my choice?

The reason I returned the HUE strips were because they always turned on at the 2700k value, then I would have had to go into the app adjust to the pure white color range I wanted which was not reasonable each time I turned them on. However if I can turn them always on at 5000k/6000k (or a color like red blue etc) each time via the network command I may change back to this and get them again.

Can you please confirm?

This is for the Hue bulbs only, as I have no Hue strips.

Via a network resource I can turn the Hue bulbs on with any colour or brightness I desire. They don't go white and then change. They turn on with the selected colour.

If I turn off the bulb feeding switch on the wall  then repower them  they will come back on immediately to full brightness and what looks like about 2700K. You have to reset them to whatever colour you want after you reapply power to the bulbs.

I believe this is a copy of the old X10 concept to defeat the idea that non-tech users have to have a mobile device in their hand, run an app, and then turn the light bulbs on when entering a room, so they installed the switch flick off and on to turn them on.

The negative is after a power blink all your Hue lights are on in the middle of the night.

ISY to the rescue! One of the first jobs my ISY does, upon power up, is to turn off all the Hue bulbs. In the middle of the night I have to wait a few minutes but ISY does it, eventually after it reboots. Saves getting out of bed or coming home after the Hue bulbs have been on all day, or all week. There is no feedback to ISY so you wouldn't be able to detect them on remotely either.

This is for the Hue bulbs only, as I have no Hue strips.

Via a network resource I can turn the Hue bulbs on with any colour or brightness I desire. They don't go white and then change. They turn on with the selected colour.

If I turn off the bulb feeding switch on the wall then repower them they will come back on immediately to full brightness and what looks like about 2700K. You have to reset them to whatever colour you want after you reapply power to the bulbs.

I believe this is a copy of the old X10 concept to defeat the idea that non-tech users have to have a mobile device in their hand, run an app, and then turn the light bulbs on when entering a room, so they installed the switch flick off and on to turn them on.

The negative is after a power blink all your Hue lights are on in the middle of the night.

ISY to the rescue! One of the first jobs my ISY does, upon power up, is to turn off all the Hue bulbs. In the middle of the night I have to wait a few minutes but ISY does it, eventually after it reboots. Saves getting out of bed or coming home after the Hue bulbs have been on all day, or all week. There is no feedback to ISY so you wouldn't be able to detect them on remotely either.

Damn still sounds like there are some caveats. Trying to figure out a work around. Maybe if I keep them on a "non-switched" (always on) outlet THEN use the KPL or switch to activate the network resource to turn the light on and off at the wanted color? Thoughts? Would that allow me to turn on/off the lights (strips) true white each time?

I am banging my head against the wall still with this. I am still trying to find a solution to under/over cabinet lights and accent lighting for my home theater room.

Edited by huddadudda

Damn still sounds like there are some caveats. Trying to figure out a work around. Maybe if I keep them on a "non-switched" (always on) outlet THEN use the KPL or switch to activate the network resource to turn the light on and off at the wanted color? Thoughts? Would that allow me to turn on/off the lights (strips) true white each time?

I am banging my head against the wall still with this. I am still trying to find a solution to under/over cabinet lights and accent lighting for my home theater room.

this is basically what i'm looking for as well.  i have Hue bulbs everywhere, and would like to augment them with the keypads to turn groups on/off and enable scenes with feedback.  

this is basically what i'm looking for as well. i have Hue bulbs everywhere, and would like to augment them with the keypads to turn groups on/off and enable scenes with feedback.

You could test the option to make a switch execute a program (network resource). I am actually 10000ft in the air on a plane right now to Laguna Nigel CA while I type this so I cant test. Can you and let us know if it works?

hahah.  it's on my todo list, but i have 0 Insteon devices, so it's a rather large investment to get everything necessary.  i need to make sure it does what is expected of it so i dont have to sleep on the couch.  :)

i actually have one saved in my cart, so if i can figure out this hue thing, ill bite and order it up.

The ISY works well with the Hues but you need the Network module and there is no feedback to ISY to verify what state they are currently in. It's a one way ticket from ISY out.

You need a Hue Hub to make Hue bulbs or strips work. It's the WiFi to ZigBee bridge and is also required for Mobile Phone apps, Some of the disco lights to music sync ones are cool. The hub has a small walwart PSU and required wired Ethernet.

From ISY you can send any colour, brightness, ramp speed, saturation to any bulb using the Network module and mostly English commands  in each resource. It's pretty easy once you do the first one.

I will try to post some pictures of Network resources but it is late right now.

Hue bulbs have a very good and easy interface but their yellow, green, blue colours suck. I understand their RGBWW strips and some newer bulbs are improved but have a good study of their colour palette and some don't really exist.

Hue API.doc