Signal distance over AC and RF issue

CTBigman

Hello all, Happy Holidays!

I have a customer with a large house with 30 Insteon switches for outside lights and an ISY994i with a Dual PLM. Couple of years ago he asked us to install Some INSTEON switches in his stable/barn to control the stable outside lights. The stable has a 100A subpanel fed from the main house, distance is well over 400', and it works with no problems.

This year he builds a huge indoor riding arena next to the stable and last week he asked us to add INSTEON switches to control the arena outside lights. My tech installs 5 switches and the ISY can't find them. After talking with my tech he discovered that when the arena was built the electrician installed a seperate electrical service, fed from the same underground utility transformer that feeds the house and they share the same secondarys. From the house to the transformer to the arena is at least 750'  I am guessing that the distance plus the transformer is just to much for the AC signal.

But the arena Insteon switches are about 15' from a stable Insteon switch. That being said shouldn't the RF/Dual Band pass the signal to the arena? And if not any suggestions (no way to connect the two buildings, it is paved between them)

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, Happy Holidays to you too!

There could be problems with one of the switches which might cause the problem. I would suggest 2 experiments

- Try some access points in different locations in old and new building and see if you can get it to work. Look for the led to flash on traffic from each side.

- Take one of the new switches, attach it temporarily to the initial circuit, and configure it. Put it back, what happens?

Paul

Also doing the built in communications tests in the Dual Band devices. May give you some information.

If the Dual Band Switches are in metal electrical boxes. The RF communications maybe limited.

Any other electrical devices on the new feed that maybe signal suckers or noise makers?

Hello Dave,

As others had suggested the first step is to confirm proper coupling / bridging via the 4 tap (beacon) test outlined in most full users manuals.

I don't see it mention what the loads are whether they be incandescent, halogen, CFL, LED, ballast, etc. As you will find sometimes the loads are what are causing the difficulty in consistent operations.

Lastly, it should be noted all the coupling / bridging in the world will not supersede the need to either remove, change, or filter a noise maker - signal sucker load condition.

Archived