Motion Sensor Setup Problem

smokegrub

I want the motion sensor to display an ON status in the Admin Console when motion is detected. I want the following program to control a light if motion is detected in the timeframe indicated:

Deck Door Sensor (Night) - [iD 0019][Parent 0001]

If
        From    Sunset  - 30 seconds
        To      Sunrise - 30 seconds (next day)
    And Status  'Motion Sensors / Deck Motion Sensor / Deck Motion Detector-Sensor' is On

Then
        Set 'Deck Light (TL)' On
        Wait  10 minutes
        Set 'Deck Light (TL)' Off

Else

I have been unable to get the motion sensor to show nothing but an ON status in the Admin Console. What settings do I need for this?

Timeout: ?

LED Brightness: ?

Darkness Sensitivity: ?

Sensing Mode: ?

LED On: ?

On Commands Only: ?

Night Only: ?

Howdy smokegrub,

Your sensor is likely configured to send On commands only.  This is why you never see the status in the console change to Off.  You can change that by changing the "On Commands Only" option in the sensor.  You don't NEED to however. The simeplest and, in my opinion, best solution here would be to change your program to use Control rather than status:

If
        From    Sunset  - 30 seconds
        To      Sunrise - 30 seconds (next day)
    And Control  'Motion Sensors / Deck Motion Sensor / Deck Motion Detector-Sensor' is Switched On

Then
        Set 'Deck Light (TL)' On
        Wait  10 minutes

Else

This solution has the added benefit of restarting the 10 minute wait with each additional motion detected and will only turn the light off after 10 minutes of no motion detected and/or at 30 seconds before sunrise.  

Also, did you really mean 30 seconds before sunset/sunrise or was that supposed to be minutes?  Not that there is anything wrong with this, just seemed odd to me.

-Xathros

Xathros,

If other programs are set to run at or near sunset a small delay such as a few seconds avoids collisions and, possibly, the dreaded ALL ON.

Stu-

Understood and I have many such offsets in my programs.  Just didn't expect that in this case and since the times here are less trigger and more of a limit of operations, +/- minutes makes more sense to me.  Thats why I called it out.  Just trying to read between the LoC.

-Xath

Xathros,

If other programs are set to run at or near sunset a small delay such as a few seconds avoids collisions and, possibly, the dreaded ALL ON.

I found an easy way to verify run times for different programs is to sort Programs > Summary > Next Scheduled Run

Jon...

Forget looking at the status of the MS.

I use little programs, like this, to show what is happening. Watch the program icons instead,

If

Control 'Deck Motion Detector-Sensor' is Switched On

Then

Wait 2 seconds

Run 'ThisProgram (else)'

Else

----

I appreciate all the feedback. First, Xathros. you are correct the intended time was 30 minutes.

Second, after struggling with this for hours and having done one previously without issue, I factory reset the device. Problem solved! You can bet I am going to factory reset all new devices before starting an install.

Program is finished and works beautifully.

Archived