Insteon garage door control and Genie Powermax

Gouldc

I'm not sure what an NGX wall console is, but if you have one, then yes, the device you linked to connects to the wall console and the I/O Linc NO and Com terminals.

• 4 months later...

OK, I will try to find it and pm you for your address. Can't remember if I decided to keep or toss it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

I ran into the same problem yesterday trying to install the Insteon garage kit with my Genie GDO. It's an older Genie model and I can't even find any specs for it online.

It has 4 pins/screws 1,2 is for the wall controller and 3,4 are for the safety light beams.

Anyway I realized that the wall controller only has 2 wires going to it and there are 2 lit buttons (door and light).

Wall Console - Series II Model: GWC-2 Part #: 35661R

http://www.geniecompany.com/images/products/accessories/wall-console_GWC-2WBL.jpg

I would assume it's a multi-function remote and not a dry contact switch.

So could I get that module that Gouldc refered to: (Genie 38013R Dry Contact Adapter) http://www.aaaremotes.com/genie-38013r-contact-adaptor.html#.VznNd4SDGkp

Run an additional set of wires from pins 1/2 to this module and then to the IOLinc.

Would this set up work and allow me to have both the existing wall controller and IOLinc?

Hi guys,

I ran into the same problem yesterday trying to install the Insteon garage kit with my Genie GDO. It's an older Genie model and I can't even find any specs for it online.

It has 4 pins/screws 1,2 is for the wall controller and 3,4 are for the safety light beams.

Anyway I realized that the wall controller only has 2 wires going to it and there are 2 lit buttons (door and light).

Wall Console - Series II Model: GWC-2 Part #: 35661R

http://www.geniecompany.com/images/products/accessories/wall-console_GWC-2WBL.jpg

I would assume it's a multi-function remote and not a dry contact switch.

So could I get that module that Gouldc refered to: (Genie 38013R Dry Contact Adapter) http://www.aaaremotes.com/genie-38013r-contact-adaptor.html#.VznNd4SDGkp

Run an additional set of wires from pins 1/2 to this module and then to the IOLinc.

Would this set up work and allow me to have both the existing wall controller and IOLinc?

My series II does not need the adapter. Even though the wall remote has a light and lock, it's still is a dry contact.

My series II does not need the adapter. Even though the wall remote has a light and lock, it's still is a dry contact.

Sweet. I'll go ahead and try and hook it up that way. Electrically though, how does the Series II work if there are light and door buttons? Does the door button act as a dry switch and the light is a wireless signal?

I had a sears GDO that was similar. It's a multifunction wall mounted remote with light , that still recognized a short contact between the two leads. Its very easy to test.

Sweet. I'll go ahead and try and hook it up that way. Electrically though, how does the Series II work if there are light and door buttons? Does the door button act as a dry switch and the light is a wireless signal?

Press your GDO operate button on the wall unit and see if the lights go out.

If it does, and there are only two wires, then you just shorted the wires out to operate,  and it should be just a contact with  trickle current stealing lamp, same as a lit doorbell button.

The lock button is a switchthat opens the circuit so the button can't short out the wires.

Ohh...and don't forget to adjust that screw on the back end that controls the amount of pressure before it reverses for safety sake.

Press your GDO operate button on the wall unit and see if the lights go out.

If it does, and there are only two wires, then you just shorted the wires out to operate,  and it should be just a contact with  trickle current stealing lamp, same as a lit doorbell button.

The lock button is a switchthat opens the circuit so the button can't short out the wires.

Ohh...and don't forget to adjust that screw on the back end that controls the amount of pressure before it reverses for safety sake.

I'm a bit confused about what you said about the trickle current stealing lamp like a lit doorbell button.

My wall remote has a physical button to turn on and off the 60W bulbs attached to my GDO.

If the door button is a dry contact, what electrical mechanism is being used when I press the light button to turn on the 60W bulbs?

I believe the Gene brand is similar to the one I tested.

I bought a Chamberlan 903LM 3-Door Multi-Function Control Panel. To dissect and see how it works.

The each button has a LED and resistor in them from the Red + to White - terminal. So they glowed in dark places.

The Door Switches short the Red to White connections.

The Light Switch connects a 1uf/50VDC capacitor across the Red to White connections.

The Lock  Switch connects a 22uF/50VDC capacitor across the Red to White connections.

The control board must be able to determine what you want to do. By what is connected between the Red and White wires.

Since the LED's and Capacitors have polarity. The Red has to be  + and the White -

I'm a bit confused about what you said about the trickle current stealing lamp like a lit doorbell button.

My wall remote has a physical button to turn on and off the 60W bulbs attached to my GDO.

If the door button is a dry contact, what electrical mechanism is being used when I press the light button to turn on the 60W bulbs?

I was referring to this statement you made

"Anyway I realized that the wall controller only has 2 wires going to it and there are 2 lit buttons (door and light).

Wall Console - Series II Model: GWC-2 Part #: 35661R"

and all the  comments I made were about the wall control.

The lights in the Operator mechanism are not related to the wall control. They run off the operator mechanism.

Jumper the two wires at the wall switch. If that operates the door, then you're god to go. Connect the I/O Linc COM and NO to either the two wires at the wall switch or terminals 1 and 2 at the head unit.

Jumper the two wires at the wall switch. If that operates the door, then you're god to go. Connect the I/O Linc COM and NO to either the two wires at the wall switch or terminals 1 and 2 at the head unit.

I just tried jumping the 2 wires at the wall switch and it works; the door will open and close. I will wire the thing together tonight. Thanks guys.

Archived