Can't Access Motion Sensor Options in Admin Console

timdrex

I have one motion sensor that for years has been my nemesis in that it gets ornery from time to time and gets to where it trips/senses motion only 80% of the time. (It turns the light on in the master bathroom--bad WAF.) I went into the ISY Admin Console to try a few things and discovered a problem: 

When I click the "Options" button in the Admin console for any of my motion sensors, it starts with a "system busy" dialog, and then finally brings up the options box immediately overlaid with a "Request Failed" dialog. 

My current motion sensors are the older 2420M's, but for grins and giggles I ordered and set up a newer 2842-222 unit, but the ISY treats it the same way. Screenshot attached. 

Any suggestions as to the cause?

post-810-0-91252400-1452387260_thumb.jpg

The pop up error message(s) used to be present in older ISY firmware. The latest firmware does not cause this to happen as often.

Normally you need to place the MS in linking mode before you press the option button because there is no way to communicate with the device while its asleep.

Current firmware seems to negate this not too sure why?

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

Your first Thumbnail shows the Motion Sensors firmware as v.00 and automatic writes to battery devices disabled.

The v.00 maybe part of the issue. As its features may not be known.

I don't have any Motion Sensors in use right now. I did add one as a test and a firmware revision was shown.

I have the Pro version and had the automatic writes to battery devices turned off. Even though I had the motion sensor awake. The options changes did not work until I enabled automatic writes to battery devices.

If your motion sensor has the two adjustment pots. Verify that Jumper #5 is On its pins. It enables remote options changes. My old ones ignored Jumper #5 as they where too old to have the adjustment pots.

• 8 months later...

I am having the same experience as timdrex:  ISY-994i Pro, with 2420M motion sensor.  I have a second 2420M, new-in-box, that I'm about to deploy as well...  My ISY-994i Pro is running the latest, current 4.5.1 firmware.

Must I go outside, climb a ladder, un-hitch my 2420, open it up, hit the "Set" (link) button, then quickly climb down, run inside and make computer settings before it times-out?  For each change?  For each variable (dusk/dawn threshold, countdown timer, On-only mode, night-only mode, enable/disable LED)?  Or is there a way to make changes easily?

My "Options" button behaves the same - first, my 2420M is identified as:  (2842-222) INSTEON Motion Sensor v.00, and "Options" seems to take a couple of tries before failing  :x

Right-clicking the sensor, and running "Query" does nothing.

I've written a tiny program that emails when when it detects dusk/dawn.  And another that emails me when it detects motion.  Both work, although with the gray-and-rainy Pacific Northwest, dusk/dawn "flaps" pretty much all day long when it's seriously overcast  :cry:   Dusk/Dawn is unusable.  But motion appears good-to-go, and I'm eager to have it control a 2475SDB and some large yard-lights.  And the ISY-994i is a mandatory part of this, especially in-light of the fact that the integrated dusk/dawn is so erratic.

Thanks for tips and help!

I am having the same experience as timdrex:  ISY-994i Pro, with 2420M motion sensor.  I have a second 2420M, new-in-box, that I'm about to deploy as well...  My ISY-994i Pro is running the latest, current 4.5.1 firmware.

Must I go outside, climb a ladder, un-hitch my 2420, open it up, hit the "Set" (link) button, then quickly climb down, run inside and make computer settings before it times-out?  For each change?  For each variable (dusk/dawn threshold, countdown timer, On-only mode, night-only mode, enable/disable LED)?  Or is there a way to make changes easily?

My "Options" button behaves the same - first, my 2420M is identified as:  (2842-222) INSTEON Motion Sensor v.00, and "Options" seems to take a couple of tries before failing  :x

Right-clicking the sensor, and running "Query" does nothing.

I've written a tiny program that emails when when it detects dusk/dawn.  And another that emails me when it detects motion.  Both work, although with the gray-and-rainy Pacific Northwest, dusk/dawn "flaps" pretty much all day long when it's seriously overcast  :cry:   Dusk/Dawn is unusable.  But motion appears good-to-go, and I'm eager to have it control a 2475SDB and some large yard-lights.  And the ISY-994i is a mandatory part of this, especially in-light of the fact that the integrated dusk/dawn is so erratic.

Thanks for tips and help!

If your ISY is showing the device firmware at 00 then it didn't install correctly, you should delete and then reinstall it. You'll need to manually put it into the linking mode. Make sure the sensor is within range of a dual band device.

Write a program similar to the one below. Program the changes you want into the ISY, then walk in front of the motion sensor and the changes should be written to the device.

If

Status  'your motion sensor' is On

Then

Set 'your motion sensor' Write Device Updates

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Thanks, @Techman!  Deleting and re-linking my 2420M seems to have worked.  It is still mis-identified as "(2842-222) INSTEON Motion Sensor v.41" when it is in fact a 2420M version 2.1...  but it works.  And the "write-by-walking-outside" works nicely too :-)

For later searchers:  make a note of your Insteon ID before deleting!!  I didn't do this, and forgot that I would require the ID for linking (unlike switches, appliancelinc, etc).  You need the Insteon ID!!.  Fortunately, I had a backup, but it was too old for me to consider restoring it... I opened the .zip file, and then opened the .zip file within.  Go into the CONF directory, and with a good (developer-aware) editor - I use Emacs - you can open the various .UND until you see the magic string which is the (former) name of your sensor... a shortly before it you will see the necessary Insteon ID - like this:

14 97 F2 1     Driveway Motion-Sensor

Thanks, @Techman!  Deleting and re-linking my 2420M seems to have worked.  It is still mis-identified as "(2842-222) INSTEON Motion Sensor v.41" when it is in fact a 2420M version 2.1...  but it works.  And the "write-by-walking-outside" works nicely too :-)

For later searchers:  make a note of your Insteon ID before deleting!!  I didn't do this, and forgot that I would require the ID for linking (unlike switches, appliancelinc, etc).  You need the Insteon ID!!.  Fortunately, I had a backup, but it was too old for me to consider restoring it... I opened the .zip file, and then opened the .zip file within.  Go into the CONF directory, and with a good (developer-aware) editor - I use Emacs - you can open the various .UND until you see the magic string which is the (former) name of your sensor... a shortly before it you will see the necessary Insteon ID - like this:

14 97 F2 1     Driveway Motion-Sensor

The 2420M is discontinued, the current version is the 2842-222. v.41 is the firmware version. I think  v.21 is the device hardware version

The Insteon Address ID should be on a label inside the motion sensor.

Run a Topology report, it's found under Tools | Generate Topology. That will create a list of all your devices along with their Insteon Address, firmware version, etc.

Archived