Amazon to Release Portable Version of Echo Speaker in Coming Weeks

Scottmichaelj

I don't get it... if you have to push the button to talk to it, then why not just use the echo remote?

I thought the same but surprisingly some people don't like things in their hands. Really can't wait for Echo to finally come to Canada as its now the UDI portal isn't accessible with out an American Amazon user account. 

I don't get it... if you have to push the button to talk to it, then why not just use the echo remote?

Have you looked at the availability of the echo remote? Its been unavailable for at least a month and they sell on eBay now for over $100. Possibly Amazon discontinued the remote but thats speculation, but it sure seems that way.

Have you looked at the availability of the echo remote? Its been unavailable for at least a month and they sell on eBay now for over $100. Possibly Amazon discontinued the remote but thats speculation, but it sure seems that way.

Yeah, I looked for a spare some time ago and noticed the same thing. I hope it's only lack of supply and not restricting the remote to one per unit which makes it less usable for HA.  The advantage to it over something like a mini remote is the greater range of control.

Jon...

Yeah, I looked for a spare some time ago and noticed the same thing. I hope it's only lack of supply and not restricting the remote to one per unit which makes it less usable for HA. The advantage to it over something like a mini remote is the greater range of control.

Jon...

If they could figure out a fast/least clicks possible way to launch the Alexa app and use the microphone it could kill the need for a remote. Connect via wifi instead of bluetooth. On iOS they could use the 3D touch on the icon. #JustSaying #AmazonStealThisIdea ;) I actually was one of the people who didnt get a remote included with my Amazon Echo.

I'm still wondering if the problem with Echo in Canada is the bilingual requirement -- does it extend to devices like the echo? I imagine that making Alexa understand French-Canadian is probably a huge challenge for a relatively small market at this point.

French is only a mandatory requirement in the Province of Quebec. French is the official alternate language of Canada however. As far as I am aware there is no language requirements for such wares like the Amazon Echo.

Did that change recently? I'm pretty sure back when I lived in Canada, the law ensured that all product labels, packaging, instructions, nutritional and safety information, etc, were all required to be in both English and French...

You're correct labels and manuals must be bi-lingual which are sold for commercial use. But the language requirement has no baring on a finished electronic product like the Amazon Echo.

It only makes sense to offer multi-language support for your wares because it will help sell the product. Keeping in mind if we are talking about French only, well besides some Canadians that speak french.

There is an entire nation called France which obviously speaks french.

I am sure Amazon will at some point in time offer multi language support for the most common tongues such as Spanish, Chinese Mandrin / Cantonese, Indian Bengali / Hindi, Arabic, etc.

I think its a big mistake if they do turn off the always listening. I get if you have it on battery mode but if its plugged in the keep the feature. Doesnt matter for me as I have two and thats really all I need. I dont see myself adding more. Sometimes my upstairs will hear me ask downstairs so either Im a loudmouth or the microphones are sensitive. Yes I changed the name but now forget what to call em based on where Im at. Kind of a bummer for that reason.

Yeah ok Im a loudmouth!

Archived