ISY/Z-Wave Compatibility

jgcharlotte

Now that I have my Insteon system migrated over the the 994, I'd like to try some Z-Wave.  Is there a comprehensive guide somewhere as to what is compatible and what is not?  There are a lot of cool Z-Wave devices out there.

Hi guys, I think this will be the right forum for this question.... And I did read previous comments...

Looking at smarthome , and having the ISY controller... am I limited on the devices I can connect to that? For example...

I know Insteon works.. but what about things like the Philips Hue system? perhaps some of the other thermostats that are not Insteon? etc.

Thanks for helping..

S

Hi guys, I think this will be the right forum for this question.... And I did read previous comments...

Looking at smarthome , and having the ISY controller... am I limited on the devices I can connect to that? For example...

I know Insteon works.. but what about things like the Philips Hue system? perhaps some of the other thermostats that are not Insteon? etc.

Thanks for helping..

S

While there are some who control the hue and nest and other things via ISY, I would not describe the support as "native".  For starting purposes, I suggest considering the ISY as compatible with insteon and z-wave devices only. 

Having said this, if you are persistant and willing to put some time into it, you can talk to darn near anything on your home network.  The ISY has a network module one can add that provides communication via several protocols (?).  I have fooled around with it, but not much more than that.  Search the wiki and the forum for the network module topics and you get a sense of the amount of work involved.

While there are some who control the hue and nest and other things via ISY, I would not describe the support as "native".  For starting purposes, I suggest considering the ISY as compatible with insteon and z-wave devices only. 

Having said this, if you are persistant and willing to put some time into it, you can talk to darn near anything on your home network.  The ISY has a network module one can add that provides communication via several protocols (?).  I have fooled around with it, but not much more than that.  Search the wiki and the forum for the network module topics and you get a sense of the amount of work involved.

Thanks for the response Oberkc. I think that is exactly the answer I was looking for... So basically, if a device communicates via Z-Wave and Insteon then no problem other than that.. it's a crap shoot but why not try ...

Regards,

S

Hi sliversop,

Apart from INSTEON/Z-Wave/ELK/ECHO (and soon IFTTT, Pushover, and Comfort APIs thermostats), ISY does not have native integration with anything else. If anything outside of what I have outlined is your primary use case, then ISY is not the right product for you.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks for the response Oberkc. I think that is exactly the answer I was looking for... So basically, if a device communicates via Z-Wave and Insteon then no problem other than that.. it's a crap shoot but why not try ...

Regards,

S

I communicate directly with my Philips Hue bridge to control 5 lights, two MiLight bridges that control 5 RGBWW strips and 4 MiLight coloured bulbs, a Venstar thermostat via an RPi with NodeLink, 5 X10 modules, a remote WC8 PLC via back to back Wi-Fi modems, two mobile phones, two email accounts, and about 50 Insteon devices including two more thermostats.

I haven't begun to use Zwave and hope to not ever have to use Zwave.

There are dozens more systems out there I can probably communicate with but haven't endeavoured to attempt them yet.

So basically that is all I can communicate with from my ISY994i and there is no problem other than that. I would find a way though.

Perhaps what you don't know about is the ISY Network Module that let's you command almost anything connected to an Ethernet network, including the Internet.

I just purchased a Aeotec Smart Switch 6.  They say its compatible with my ISY994ZW. I plugged it into my wall socket, clicked Add/Include Z Device from my Admin panel, but it doesn't discover it.  Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Erkorb

ISY-Newbee 

I have one and I can join it to the ISY.  However, I can't control it very well (the on/off).  I thought I remembered looking up that this is a multi-channel device but now that I google that question I don't find any reference to multi-channel and you are right that their website says it is compatible with ISY994Zw.

I've recently upgraded to 5.0.2 beta, I'll have to try my sensor again.  Attached is a picture of what devices I see with it attached -- it is the "ZW 002" device.  (Ignore the dsc stuff that looks broken, this is a screenshot from when I was getting that working).

post-7315-0-11594500-1453852892_thumb.png

You do not need a Beta version. Did you press the Action Button on the Smart Switch? Does the RGB LED blink?

BTW, only update to a Beta if you're aware that the Beta version may have bugs. That's why it's a Beta and not an official version.

You do not need a Beta version. Did you press the Action Button on the Smart Switch? Does the RGB LED blink?

BTW, only update to a Beta if you're aware that the Beta version may have bugs. That's why it's a Beta and not an official version.

Okay...Now, I feel real stupid.  I've been working with computers since the 70's and I couldn't find that Action button at first. (BTW, the Support Team from Aeon Labs, just got back to me with the same answer. - very happy with their response time.)  So, YES! It works great.  I can't believe all the things this little switch does.  I highly recommend it.  Here is a screen shot.

BTW, I didn't need to upgrade my ISY.

Thanks for all the help.

Erkorb

post-7586-0-58467900-1453911333_thumb.png

Okay...Now, I feel real stupid.  I've been working with computers since the 70's and I couldn't find that Action button at first. (BTW, the Support Team from Aeon Labs, just got back to me with the same answer. - very happy with their response time.)  So, YES! It works great.  I can't believe all the things this little switch does.  I highly recommend it.  Here is a screen shot.

BTW, I didn't need to upgrade my ISY.

Thanks for all the help.

Erkorb

Okay, so I can see the status of the device, but I can't seem to control it from the ISY.  I have to physically use the Action Switch on the device to turn it on and off.  I read in the manual that need to use "secure" mode "to take full advantage of all functionality", but on/off seems pretty simple.  I deleted and reset the device and then tried to include it as "secure" device, but that mode doesn't seem to be working with the ISY.  I've attached an event log for when I tried to send an "OFF" to the Smart Switch via the ISY Admin U/I.

Thanks for any help on this.

Eric

ISY-Events-Log.v4.3.26__Wed 2016.01.27 11.36.12 AM.txt

Okay, so I can see the status of the device, but I can't seem to control it from the ISY.  I have to physically use the Action Switch on the device to turn it on and off.  I read in the manual that need to use "secure" mode "to take full advantage of all functionality", but on/off seems pretty simple.  I deleted and reset the device and then tried to include it as "secure" device, but that mode doesn't seem to be working with the ISY.  I've attached an event log for when I tried to send an "OFF" to the Smart Switch via the ISY Admin U/I.

Thanks for any help on this.

Eric

That's the same problem I have -- I can't turn it on/off.

Hi sliversop,

Apart from INSTEON/Z-Wave/ELK/ECHO (and soon IFTTT, Pushover, and Comfort APIs thermostats), ISY does not have native integration with anything else. If anything outside of what I have outlined is your primary use case, then ISY is not the right product for you.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel, did I miss a previous mention of adding support for Pushover and Honeywell comfort API? Pushover will be awesome to replace a ton of network resources I already have for it! But if comfort is coming, I would return the Venstar T7900 I just received to install in our vacation home!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Hello all,

We are at the final stages of supporting IFTTT (maker) through ISY Portal after which we'll support Pushover and finally Honeywell Comfort API. The reason we have need to do Honeywell last is because it needs 5.0.x so that the thermostat shows up as a node in ISY.

Then again, all my ETAs have been off ...

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello all,

We are at the final stages of supporting IFTTT (maker) through ISY Portal after which we'll support Pushover and finally Honeywell Comfort API. The reason we have need to do Honeywell last is because it needs 5.0.x so that the thermostat shows up as a node in ISY.

Then again, all my ETAs have been off ...

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks Michel, are you saying pushover and Honeywell support will also be in the portal? I understand why for IFTTT, and unsure about Honeywell, but would really prefer direct ISY to pushover.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks Michel, are you saying pushover and Honeywell support will also be in the portal? I understand why for IFTTT, and unsure about Honeywell, but would really prefer direct ISY to pushover.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jimbo you can do direct pushover notification from the ISY now. If you like I am happy to post how.

Jimbo you can do direct pushover notification from the ISY now. If you like I am happy to post how.

Yes, in my original response to Michel a few posts up I mentioned it will replace a lot of network resources, which are very tedious to create, and change. If it worked like a regular ISY notification for email then it would be so much easier! I like pushover because it allows setting notification priorities and the Tasker plugin works great for reading the notifications out loud on my spare tablets.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Archived