Aeotec Garage Door Controller - Source

hart2hart

I purchased two, Insteon Garage Door sensors #74551.

They work perfectly, allowing me to open /close either door remotely, and I've linked them to a keypad, so that inside the house, I can see the door status, as well as push the keypad button to activate the door.

The one downside, whenever ISY is rebooted, it triggers both doors to open, and stay open.  Anyone have a workaround for this?

Does the tilt sensor show up and work as expected in the ISY? Do they also act as Z-Wave secure repeaters? I've been holding out for the Aeon since their sirens are such good repeaters, but I'm just about done waiting to replace my IoLincs.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

The tilt sensor works fine. You see the status of the door...open or closed.It does not act as secure repeater. I like the feature that it sounds an alarm before the door moves when you use the Linear controller to open or close the door. I'm sure the Aeon device will a good product too once it becomes available. I've been happy with the Aeon products I have.

The one downside, whenever ISY is rebooted, it triggers both doors to open, and stay open. Anyone have a workaround for this?

That's kinda bad!

Sounds like you have an 'else' clause somewhere with a relay 'on' command in it that's running on the reboot. I doubt this would happen otherwise.

I've never been satisfied with ioLinc solution. Saw mention of Aeotec Gen 5 solution. Reviewed it here:

http://aeotec.com/z-wave-garage-door-controller

It looks good and so wanted any direct user feedback and to see where it was purchased

Thanks

I found it listed here http://www.homecontrols.com/Aeon-Labs-Aeotec-Z-Wave-Garage-Door-Controller-AEZW062

So I emailed this place which I have pre-ordered Aeotec products from before and was very happy with their customer service, and this was their response...

Thank you for your inquiry. Can you please let us know where you found the device for sale already? We expect to get the product in stock withing the next month. I spoke to Aeotec during the CES show a couple of weeks ago and they advised that they were waiting for basic gateway integration before releasing the product to the public.

Once we confirm that there is already a distributor selling the product, we will be able to get more details on the date of arrival for this product.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Agnes Lorenz

Customer Satisfaction @ The Smartest House

Your Z-Wave Store

www.thesmartesthouse.com

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I found it listed here http://www.homecontrols.com/Aeon-Labs-Aeotec-Z-Wave-Garage-Door-Controller-AEZW062

So I emailed this place which I have pre-ordered Aeotec products from before and was very happy with their customer service, and this was their response...

Thank you for your inquiry. Can you please let us know where you found the device for sale already? We expect to get the product in stock withing the next month. I spoke to Aeotec during the CES show a couple of weeks ago and they advised that they were waiting for basic gateway integration before releasing the product to the public.

Once we confirm that there is already a distributor selling the product, we will be able to get more details on the date of arrival for this product.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Agnes Lorenz

Customer Satisfaction @ The Smartest House

Your Z-Wave Store

www.thesmartesthouse.com

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks for extra effort. I thought they were on the market so was looking for someone that had stock. I'll continue to watch site.

I don't trust ioLinc even with wired sensor Insteon solution. Added two Schlage deadbolts about year ago, zwave air vent, and Aeotec siren as repeater to improve reliability. Felt this would remove concerns of ioLinc and build zwave mesh when I want to add other products within the technology as they make sense.

Good post Paul, thanks.

I've been teetering on the edge of zwave. My primary target is GDO. Not having problems with iolinc, but would like to mitigate that risk. Aeotec seems to be a vendor that understands HA and signalling, after reading the links about the sirens as zwave repeaters. Staying tuned....

Paul

Z-Wave has a number of unique devices I'm interested in and I'm curious as to how many devices are need to adequately mesh the network?

I have a two story home and the garage is about 25 feet from the ISY (downstairs.)

Jon...

Z-Wave has a number of unique devices I'm interested in and I'm curious as to how many devices are need to adequately mesh the network?

I have a two story home and the garage is about 25 feet from the ISY (downstairs.)

Jon...

My little bit of experience is choose high quality vendors and then build mesh outwards from ISY. Number of devices is less important than placement of desired function devices and then filling in gaps with repeaters. Some secure devices like locks require extra care during link process.

If I were you I'd procure garage door controller(s) and one Aeon labs Siren/repeater. Install garage door controller and determine if it works reliably. If not, locate repeater between ISY and garage door and heal network to establish mesh. With time the mesh network fill your location.

My little bit of experience is choose high quality vendors and then build mess outwards from ISY. Number of devices is less important than placement of desired function devices and then filling in gaps with repeaters. Some secure devices like locks require extra care during link process.

If I were you I'd procure garage door controller(s) and one Aeon labs Siren/repeater. Install. garage door controller and see if it works reliably. If not, locate repeater between ISY and garage door. With time the mesh network fill your location.

They claim Z-Wave has a range of 25-30 meters indoors but I've heard of locks installed that require repeaters for reliability.

Thanks,

Jon...

I have 35' from my ISY to my Linear garage door controller -- the two have two interior walls, an interior floor/ceiling, and an exterior wall separating them.

I did link the Linear securely about 10' from the ISY before i installed it, but it works fine where it is.  (I did get the Aeotech siren as a repeater, but it was installed long before I got around to the garage door opener, and ended up being very useful on the other side of the house, where it remains today!)

I have 35' from my ISY to my Linear garage door controller -- the two have two interior walls, an interior floor/ceiling, and an exterior wall separating them.

I did link the Linear securely about 10' from the ISY before i installed it, but it works fine where it is.  (I did get the Aeotech siren as a repeater, but it was installed long before I got around to the garage door opener, and ended up being very useful on the other side of the house, where it remains today!)

With Insteon it's hard to gauge RF reliability seeing it's dual band but I have On/Off modules installed behind UPS that are hence RF only and require remotes to be 10 feet for operation; so it seems Z-Wave is a little more robust vs Insteon in that regards.

Also, I'm interested in the Z-Wave Siren in that it has 5 tones but 106dB seems a bit loud :)

Jon...

Jon...

I have four Schlage door locks, three Linear garage door controllers, two Z-Wave thermostats and two Aeotec range extenders. Our home is about 5000 sq. ft on three levels including garage space. The house is 78 feet long with lower level garages on both ends. My ISY is on the lower level pretty close to the center of the house. All devices work fine.

Archived