Fan Controller 2475F Fan Output Voltage Not Driving Fan

Issue today on Fan Controller install.  This is the 4th one, others worked ok.  

Connect Red load wire to fan motor and the fan will not turn.  The fan hardware is set for max rpm via pull chain.  

Lights connected to Blue work fine.  

Voltmeter says Blue giving lights 115vac but Red giving motor only 35 or so Vac.  

I have 2 additional fans to do so pulled out the other 2475's ---same thing.  

Went to fan and controller that's been in operation for a few weeks and put meter on it ----same voltage, but it works.  

I'm not getting it.  I would have expected that the fan (red) output would have been 115vac when on high, then lower on med or low.  

Advice?

Without a load, a voltmeter will usually read 115 - 125 VAC regardless of the speed setting.  The implication is that your fan motor is not providing a load - I'd double-check the wiring to make sure that you have the correct wire, that the motor's neutral wire is connected, and that the switch is actually in the position you think it is.

The other possibility is that the motor is not compatible with that type of speed control -- high-end (DC-motor) fans, for example, have power-supplies in them that do not play nice with traditional fan speed controls, including the Insteon device.

I should be more clear.  all of my voltage measurements are with no load.  I would have expected them to be 115 as well.  I initially thought I had a bad device when I saw 35.  So I pulled another one out.  same thing.  then the third.  

since I bought them all at the same time, maybe I got a bad batch?  so back to the one that's been in operation for weeks.  35.  

The one(s) that work are all fans made in the past 5-7 years.  the one with the problem is 24+/- years old.  

My initial conclusion is that the fan is incompatible, but the voltage output of Red surprised me.  The next two fans are the same as this one, so I'm not excited about replacing them all to get this working.  

also - connected the blue wire to the fan motor input and was rewarded by blades hitting my head, so it's looking for that 115...

thanks for your thoughts

Smartlabs never gave us much technical information to the developers group {before it disappeared}. On the Fanlinc circuits.

From the internal photos of it in the FCC Database. It looks like they switch a capacitor for each speed in series from the Line In to the Load out.

Depending on the loads impedance. The meter may read strange due to the capacitor in the circuit.

more info as I look at again:

the original switch was really a knob on the wall for the fan.  now, I just have the fan hardwired to 115vac.  pulling the chain goes from High to Off to Off to Off.

?

That is strange. What is the speed switch connected to? Can you bypass the speed switch?

• 2 weeks later...

Back at this again - with a new fan. 

Same result.  Light works perfect.  Output from FanLinc for Fan gives 39+/- volts - does not even turn light on when I reverse the light and fan loads.  

all other switches/devices are out of circuit.  120v delivered to FanLinc.  

My conclusion would be bad FanLinc if I had not tried 3 of them.  Tempted to run to Menards to get a 4th just out of desperation.  

Other advice please?

OK.  Got it.  I am now feeling really like a dumb***

It's a FEATURE of the fanlinc that you cannot turn on the motor on the fanlinc itself.  

Saw this on smarthome forum trolling through old threads.  

So, if I turn it on with ISY, it works.  

Duh duh duh. 

Thanks all who gave advise here and so on many other things.  I only need to ask occasional questions because you all give great info

Especially if they would put this type of detail in there.  

You're correct. The warning appears only in the QSG, "For safety, fan will not spin when fan Set button is tapped."

Archived