Want to control lights by my cell phone

espann

Hello experts, this may have covered somewhere in the forum but I didn't find it yet. I want to be able to control my lighting with my android cell phone. I have ISY-994i and can control lights from the administrative console but I want to control on/off, dimming, etc, from my cell phone. I've heard of the Insteon HUB but people here have said that this could be done with the ISY and some other apps? If so I'd like some help finding the app for this that will work with ISY-994

Thanks all,

Ed Spann

Hello experts, this may have covered somewhere in the forum but I didn't find it yet. I want to be able to control my lighting with my android cell phone. I have ISY-994i and can control lights from the administrative console but I want to control on/off, dimming, etc, from my cell phone. I've heard of the Insteon HUB but people here have said that this could be done with the ISY and some other apps? If so I'd like some help finding the app for this that will work with ISY-994

Thanks all,

Ed Spann

This is what most ISY users are using  http://mobilinc.com/

Here's the info for the ISY  http://mobilinc.com/detailedsetup/isy/

If you search the forum for mobilinc you'll find lots of good stuff to read

Guess I'll have to pay the $19.99 to see if it works on my system

Any reason to believe it won't work?

Just beware...secure, non-secure, HTTP, HTTPS, mobilinc connect or not...these are common points of confusion.  If you run into problems, don't hesitate to ask.  The support from universal devices and mobilinc is the best.  They will get it working for you and answer any questions you have if the various instructions and forum support can't get you going.

If you have a static IP address, or a Dynamic IP service, you do not need the "connect" which cuts the cost a bit.

Agree with oberkc!

Can you expand a bit on this? If it was set up like this with a static ip address or port forwarding, would this mean that you could use the admin console to connect directly to the isy?

Thanks,

Ed

Guess I'll have to pay the $19.99 to see if it (Mobilinc) works on my system

OR you can do what I did when I was unable to get the Mobilinc trial version to work... use the Ajax GUI that is FREE.

I have an Android too and using the browser, I can log into my ISY with most the functionality I have with the Admin Console.  No other hardware or purchase to to this.  The one exception I have found is while I can choose and run any program, I cannot edit them.

Plus once logged into the system, save the page as a favorite and login credentials are remembered. 

One last note is you can even log into you Admin Console on the phone.  But the screen size is too limited to be useful or work with.  I still use the PC for that.

I use a free DNS host through no-ip.com if I'm out and about.  But if I'm home, i use the 192.168.n.n address to access the ISY.

OR you can do what I did when I was unable to get the Mobilinc trial version to work... use the Ajax GUI that is FREE.

I have an Android too and using the browser, I can log into my ISY with most the functionality I have with the Admin Console.  No other hardware or purchase to to this.  The one exception I have found is while I can choose and run any program, I cannot edit them.

Plus once logged into the system, save the page as a favorite and login credentials are remembered. 

One last note is you can even log into you Admin Console on the phone.  But the screen size is too limited to be useful or work with.  I still use the PC for that.

I use a free DNS host through no-ip.com if I'm out and about.  But if I'm home, i use the 192.168.n.n address to access the ISY.

Thanks Sanders, where can I get the UD Ajax program? Actually the Ajax GUI, I found some source code for Ajax but that looks rather daunting!

Thanks, I had downloaded the mobilinc trial a few months ago, didn't try it, and now it has expired. Guess I'll have to pay the $19.99 to see if it works on my system

MobiLinc is the best I have seen also.

You need to nail down your ISY IP address on your LAN so it doesn't keep changing.

Your router needs to have a hole punched in the firewall, called port forwarding.

What happens is that your mobile connection talks to your ISP IP address your ISP assigns your router with a port number that you assign. eg: https://103.123.321.456:443 (note the 's' for  secure protocol needed)

You router has a table of forwarding where it swaps packets coming in on port 443 (you assigned in the router port forwarding table)  for the IP address and port number the ISY was assigned by your router.

To test, turn off the WiFi in your mobile phone and run MobiLinc or other App/browser to that external address and force it to go through the mobile system to your router and into ISY. Port has to match. Basically your router has to act like a language translator.

If your ISP changes your assigned IP address you have to change your setup. The DDNS services require an app or some software on your LAN system to send updates to it. Then your mobile device talks to a personal URL the give you, and the DDNS service translates IP and port addresses, to access your router --> ISY.

Depending on your router, it may be capable of updating a DDNS service directly, no need to keep a computer on to run an app. 

Then your router is running an app to keep the DDNS service updated. Something has to do it for the system to work.

ISPs should provide this service. They always know your IP address. They created it.

DDNS services do not access, or have any knowledge of your ISY's IP address on your LAN. Those addresses never get outside of your router onto the Internet. That isn't the way DDNS works.

The DDNS service only knows your ISP created and issued IP address, issued to your router, after your app or router contacts the DDNS service web service with it's ID information..

• 2 months later...

Any reason to believe it won't work?

Just beware...secure, non-secure, HTTP, HTTPS, mobilinc connect or not...these are common points of confusion.  If you run into problems, don't hesitate to ask.  The support from universal devices and mobilinc is the best.  They will get it working for you and answer any questions you have if the various instructions and forum support can't get you going.

Ok, so if I buy the Mobilinc Pro, how long do I have to try it and if I don't like it will I be able to return it?

And is there no other method of controlling lights thru ISY and my cell phone, without paying more money?

I believe there is a trial version of mobilinc (called mobilinc lite).  It limits the number of devices you can control, but at least you will be able to determine if it works for you and you can get it set up properly.

Are there other methods?  Probably.  Some have reported luck with tasker.  You can access the ISY admin page on and android web browser, I believe.  There is a whole section on the forum regarding third-party apps.

Ok, so if I buy the Mobilinc Pro, how long do I have to try it and if I don't like it will I be able to return it?

And is there no other method of controlling lights thru ISY and my cell phone, without paying more money?

You could use the built in mobil UDI interface. Check the wiki for more information. It is not great, but if all you need to do is turn lights on/off it works.

Dennis

Archived