I/O Linc coming on December 31st.

AnthemAVM

• 2 weeks later...

I see Smarthome has also added five preambled part kits using the I/O Linc to the web site.

73552 Door and Window Sensor Kit

71153 Leak / Flood Sensor Kit

73210 Telephone Alert Kit

51901 Remote Control Door Strike Kit

74551 Garage Door Control and Status Kit.

I see Smarthome has also added five preambled part kits using the I/O Linc to the web site.

73552 Door and Window Sensor Kit

71153 Leak / Flood Sensor Kit

73210 Telephone Alert Kit

51901 Remote Control Door Strike Kit

74551 Garage Door Control and Status Kit.

I subscribe to the RSS feed, and about every few days they have released information on one of those kits.

Will be interesting to see how it works with the ISY.

I like the Garage Door kit. I already have some sensors on the Garage for the ELK but don't have anything from the ELK to close the garage. I'm wondering if it'd be easier to use the I/O link instead so that I can easily close the garage if I forgot and left it open.

• 2 weeks later...
I've had mine for about 3 weeks now. I'm a beta tester. The thing works very well. The isy communicates with it perfectly so far.

I received my I/O Link last week and installed it 2-days ago. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to do what I want. I want to use it to tell me when it's light or dark outside. I have an outdoor photocell connected to the GROUND and SENSOR terminals, but whenever I query the I/O Link it tells me it is OFF. It doesn't seem to matter if the Green Sensor light is on or off, the status always seems to be off.

I don't have it linked to anything except the ISY through the discovery process. Can anyone give me some helpful advice?

Thanks!

-John

Hi John,

What version of ISY firmware do you have?

Also, please try to put the sensor node into a scene (as controller) with another device and repeat your test.

With kind regards,

Michel

I've had mine for about 3 weeks now. I'm a beta tester. The thing works very well. The isy communicates with it perfectly so far.

I received my I/O Link last week and installed it 2-days ago. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to do what I want. I want to use it to tell me when it's light or dark outside. I have an outdoor photocell connected to the GROUND and SENSOR terminals, but whenever I query the I/O Link it tells me it is OFF. It doesn't seem to matter if the Green Sensor light is on or off, the status always seems to be off.

I don't have it linked to anything except the ISY through the discovery process. Can anyone give me some helpful advice?

Thanks!

-John

My ISY is running 2.6.12.

The I/O Link is now set up to control an insteon light module. I have sucessfully tested the linking by turning the light on and off when I press the I/O Link's set button. I can also see the status of the I/O module change on the ISY when I press the I/O Link's set button, but that's the only time the state changes (when I press the button). BTW, this photocell worked great with the X10 sensor that I was using. My goal here is to replace the X10 sensor with the Insteon sensor so my ISY programs can be a bit more intelligent.

I guess I'll see what happens tomorrow when the sun comes up.

-John

My ISY is running 2.6.12.

The I/O Link is now set up to control an insteon light module. I have sucessfully tested the linking by turning the light on and off when I press the I/O Link's set button. I can also see the status of the I/O module change on the ISY when I press the I/O Link's set button, but that's the only time the state changes (when I press the button). BTW, this photocell worked great with the X10 sensor that I was using. My goal here is to replace the X10 sensor with the Insteon sensor so my ISY programs can be a bit more intelligent.

I guess I'll see what happens tomorrow when the sun comes up.

-John

John, please update to version 13 Release 2.6.13 beta is now available

If you can include the device in a scene as Michel suggested it may help us with a bug. It's supposed to work!

Rand

After sitting back and watching things for a few days, I'm even more confused about how my I/O Link (and maybe the ISY) is working.

Should the ISY notice when the status of the I/O Link changes? Or is this why I was asked to put the I/O Link into a scene with another device?

The status of the I/O Link only seems to change (on the ISY) when I push the SET button on the I/O Link module. Yet I suspect the light module that shares a scene with the I/O Link seems to be turning on and off at various times. I just created a program that will watch the status of the light module and NOTIFY me whenever the status changes. Is this the best way to "watch" things?

Thanks!

-John

After sitting back and watching things for a few days, I'm even more confused about how my I/O Link (and maybe the ISY) is working.

Should the ISY notice when the status of the I/O Link changes? Or is this why I was asked to put the I/O Link into a scene with another device?

The status of the I/O Link only seems to change (on the ISY) when I push the SET button on the I/O Link module. Yet I suspect the light module that shares a scene with the I/O Link seems to be turning on and off at various times. I just created a program that will watch the status of the light module and NOTIFY me whenever the status changes. Is this the best way to "watch" things?

Thanks!

-John

John,

I have mine on my garage door sensor, and when the garage opens it goes from On to Off and back to On, when the door is closed.

Michael

I think I have it figured out. I have been trying to trigger it with a low-voltage (like you can do with the X10 Powerflash module) but I think the I/O LINK can only be triggered with a contact-closure switch.

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks!

-John

I think I have it figured out. I have been trying to trigger it with a low-voltage (like you can do with the X10 Powerflash module) but I think the I/O LINK can only be triggered with a contact-closure switch.

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks!

-John

Not sure, but give the Smarthome showroom a call. They are open at 10am on Saturday.

The I/OLinc only works with a dry contact. In fact it has a DC voltage on the sensor contact that is pulled to common by the switch.

:idea: There maybe a way to setup a isolator circuit and even use the +5 volts; 10 ma voltage source on the connection to power it. I was thinking of trying that myself. :)

Did some tests and have some data that maybe helpful.

The I/O Linc has a voltage on the S Sensor tab to the G Ground tab.

It only works with a dry contact.

Mine triggered when the contact was less than 800 Ohms from the S to G tab and the voltage was pulled below a 1 volt threshold. If the contact resistance is above the threshold of 800 Ohms. It is possible for the Sense LED to light and fool you into thinking a sense was detected but the on or off signal was not sent.

I did a few more tests this weekend with the IOLinc and an ELK-930 doorbell and telephone ringing detector.

This board is a set of three snap off boards if you care to use parts in different locations. Two are doorbell and one is phone line ring detecting.

I have one of the doorbell boards connected to an X10 Powerflash module to sound a chime module when the doorbell rings.

The boards are powered by the module it is connected to. In my case the sensor and ground terminals of the IOLinc. Sensor terminal to the ELK-930 OUT terminal and the GND terminal to the ELK-930 NEG terminal.

Tested it with a IOLinc and found on my test setup it hardly drew any power and the module was OK with the load on it. I then patched it into my doorbell circuit using the existing one in the basement. Linked it to a test ApplianceLinc and it turned the module on when the bell was ringing and off when the bell stopped ringing.

Archived