How to edit ISY Links Table for a Device

shadowb

I had a mini-remote in some scenes and triggering some programs.  When triggered from the mini-remote different lights in the scene would fail to turn off.  When triggered from the ISY program the scene worked every time.  I discovered the device's link table and ISY's link table did not match - so I did a Factory Reset on the device.

After Factory Reset the Device Links Table was cleared to one line (wrong, more later) but the ISY Links Table had lots of links still in it. I could find no way to clear the ISY Links Table. So I removed the mini-remote completely and reinstalled it. This time the Device Links Table has 9 entries, one for each of the 8 buttons and the end-of-file, and the ISY Links table now matches. THEN I had to remove and replace the IF statements for each of the 8 programs triggered by this remote's buttons.

How could I have made the ISY Links table match the Device Links Table after the Factory Reset. I searched and found no way to delete/remove links, hence the brute force approach I used.

BTW. I found this problem when one of the programs turned off the lights it was supposed to then many more, including X10 devices that were NEVER in the original scenes nor in any of the programs this mini-remote triggers.

Put the mini-remote into linking mode (hold down set for a few secs until the LED starts blinking), right-click on the mini-remote and select 'Restore Device'. That should remove all existing links from the mini-remote and repopulate it with what the ISY has in its database.

I believe that you can also do it from the 'diagnostics->device links' section by hitting 'compare' to detect differences. If there are differences, you can restore the device to get it back in sync.

The most important thing is determining how it happened in the first place. Are you using devices other than the ISY to manage your devices or performing any manual linking at the devices? Both will likely mess up your links.

Restore would have been wrong because it was ISY's Link Table that was incorrect.  After the Factory Reset the device's link table was correctly cleared but ISY's link table still had lots of entries in it.  

This may have happened by using the device in scenes that I may have set up outside of ISY before I realized that is a no-no.  But that does not explain why a Factory Reset worked on device but not the ISY link table for that device.  What I needed in this case was the ability to "Restore" ISY's link table to match the reset device's link table.  

Right?  

Factory Reset of Mini-Remote made the device useless to the ISY.  Insteon requires the Mini-Remote to have the link records to be able to communicate with the PLM and whatever other devices the Mini-Remote is linked to.  The next step,is to Restore Device to Mini-Remote.

If you want to start from scratch remove the Mini-Remote from its Scene(s) and Delete device.   Add the Mini-Remote to the ISY to reestablish the required links to the PLM.  Then add Mini-Remote buttons to any desired Scenes.

Because a Restore would have corrupted the device with the WRONG links from ISY, which had the incorrect links table, that's exactly what I did ... removed the mini-remote and reinstalled it.  

So I guess the net of all this is there is no way to correct an ISY link table that is totally wrong - have to uninstall and reinstall the device.  

That is correct.   Would be good to understand the problem with the ISY Links Table as that should reflect the Scene activity established by the ISY.  Can you provide additional data ....

ISY Firmware, ISY UI, both from Help | About

Type of ISY, 99i, 994i

Were any Mini-Remote links done manually, outside of ISY

Detail of problems with ISY Links Table

LeeG,

ISY 994i/IR PRO (1110) - OpenADR (21010)

Firmware:  Insteon_UD994 v.4.3.26 (2015-10-13-11:35:11)

UI: Insteon_UD994 v.4.3.26 (2015-10-13-11:35:11)

Yes, I suspect I set up one or more scenes with the devices before installing the ISY.  See attached images.

The troubling aspect was after I realized the two link tables were out of sync (images 17 & 18) I reinstalled the mini-8 picking the Delete all Links option but the ISY Links Table was NOT changed - it still had all the old links while the device table was cleared but had ONLY the EOF entry.  

That's when I completely removed the device and reinstalled it (images 23 & 24).  

BTW.  There is a bug in ISY console - while capturing these images when I did Diagnostics / Show Device Links Table it would simply open an empty Device Links window and NOT prompt me to put the mini-8 into communications mode.  I tried several times.  I then exited the program and restarted it - then it worked properly.  

Thanks

post-7327-0-75953400-1454692559_thumb.jpg

post-7327-0-09883800-1454692561_thumb.jpg

post-7327-0-09849300-1454692562_thumb.jpg

post-7327-0-02377500-1454692563_thumb.jpg

"I reinstalled the mini-8 picking the Delete all Links option but the ISY Links Table was NOT changed "

Not sure what this activity was.  Neither the ISY Links Table nor the Device Links Table was affected (image 18 shows device links and ISY links still exist)

Images 17 & 18 show the corrupted link tables BEFORE I removed and reinstalled the mini-remote.  

Images 23 & 24 show AFTER the reinstall when the two link tables now match.  

I didn't show the images after the first reinstall attempt when the device links table was cleared to only an EOF line and the ISY links table was unchanged.  

• 8 months later...

Question I am new to the ISY. I have read some documentation on how to remove a device from he ISY but it seems to be old or old version. How do I unlink devices properly in the ISY and remove them> in the wiki docs it say go to menu and select remove but I do not see that option?

Question I am new to the ISY. I have read some documentation on how to remove a device from he ISY but it seems to be old or old version. How do I unlink devices properly in the ISY and remove them> in the wiki docs it say go to menu and select remove but I do not see that option?

You have to remove the device from any subfolders before the option will appear.

I want to remove all my devices from the ISY and start over 1 by one. Do I just right click the device and select Delete or do I need to remove device some how?

There is no point in doing that.

Just right click on each device and select Restore causing ISY to clean out and refresh all links in each device.

It's the same as starting over and

.... 'feels like the first time'

I am having trouble with Alexa/Echo and I think it might be related to Adding my ISY and my replacement HUB 2. My HUB died and I could not unlike everything from the hub before I fired up my replacement. Alexa has started saying that command does not work with that device. I have posted on Insteons website. So I am not sure if its the ISY causing bad links so I was going to start over with the insteon HUB and ISY.

It's unlikely that the ISY is causing a problem unless you have the same Insteon devices added to the Hub and the ISY, but have set up non-identical scenes for any of the devices. In any case, you can simply unplug the PLM which effectively places the ISY offline.

Thanks Stu.

You just made an interesting comment. I know you told me on another  forum you were using HUB1 HUB2 and ISy. Is it bad practice to have the same devices on the ISY and the HUB? Or are you saying If I create a scene I need to have them identical on both? Can you explain? 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a list of values and what they represent for an Insteon link table?  If not any idea where I might "mine" this data? 

One other question, what does all 0's in a link table entry mean?

Thanks..

Is there a list of values and what they represent for an Insteon link table?  If not any idea where I might "mine" this data? 

Thanks..

http://cache.insteon.com/pdf/INSTEON_Command_Tables_20070925a.pdf

http://www.madreporite.com/insteon/commands.htm

Thanks..

All zeros is a terminator entry. It tells the CPU involved to stop reading the m into a program.

Archived