Nucleus Smart Home Intercom

upstatemike

Hey upstatemike.

I too hope they do.

I contacted the owner a few months ago and they said they were looking into it. I sincerely hope they got in touch with Michel. Their product could really take off if integrated properly with isy. I think it may be just another intercom if not. See my emails below.

Guitartexan

This email is * UNCLASSIFIED *

Begin forwarded message:

Date: August 4, 2015 at 5:37:59 PM GMT+5

To: Jonathan Frankel <jonathan@nucleusintercom.com>

Cc: Larry guitartexan@

Hi Larry,

Looking at the documentation isy-994i supports REST api which is what we use to integrate with NEST etc. We will look at it internally to see if this can be done for V1 of the software. If not it can go into V2 which is an automatic software update. Thank you for the info.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Jonathan Frankel <jonathan@nucleusintercom.com> wrote:

Thanks Larry, I really appreciate you being so kind - and informative!

I'm cc'ing our CTO, Isaac, who loves all the home automation stuff (and personally built the UPnP layer into our software). Isaac, do you want to take a look at this device that Larry found?

Best,

Jonathan

Founder & CEO, Nucleus

www.NucleusIntercom.com

Follow me on Twitter: @jfrankel13

Connect on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/pub/jonathan-frankel/47/373/94/

Check out our latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w223mDWokTg

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 12:53 PM, Larry guitartexan@ wrote:

Hello Jonathan.

I'm very supportive because I think you have a great story behind a great product. Add to that the fact that you're "real" as opposed to all these plastic business people I see every day.

I'm not sure about the UPnP being all you'd need, but it may be.

At a glance the isy might seem to be an insteon hub, but it is much more. It is a stand alone home automation controller that can have Z-wave, zigbee, RF, can control over 1k devices, scenes, etc. With the release of update 5xx the isy can now operate with nodes.

Here is a link to a review of the isy.

http://thedocsworld.net/isy-994i-home-automation-at-its-best/

I understand you have lots on your plate Jonathan, but this device justifies you taking a closer look and maybe considering how Nucleus working in conjunction with isy could open up some amazing possibilities.

Thanks for listening.

Larry guitartexan

LEED AP BC+D

Infrared Surveyor

On Aug 3, 2015, at 3:34 PM, Jonathan Frankel <jonathan@nucleusintercom.com> wrote:

Hi Larry,

Good morning and thank you very much for the kind note. Thank you for being so supportive!

Looking at the Universal Devices website, it looks like the isy-994i is an Insteon hub. If so, we may already support it; we are integrated with Insteon's own hub via UPnP. Do you think that would cover the isy-994i as well?

All the best,

Jonathan

Founder & CEO, Nucleus

www.NucleusIntercom.com

Follow me on Twitter: @jfrankel13

Connect on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/pub/jonathan-frankel/47/373/94/

Check out our latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w223mDWokTg

On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 2:45 AM, Larry guitartexan@ wrote:

Hello Jonathan.

I just got word of your delay till April.

No worries! Take as long as it takes to have a solid product without all the issues of a "Smart Things" or Wink.

I'm writing this hoping you might contact Michel Kohanim from Universal Devices and allow integration of the isy-994i platforms of home automation. I own one of his units and I can tell you, it is the most powerful HA controller on the market. If your Nucleus has voice control and could have Zwave or some other way to integrate with the isy-994i, yours would be a very popular product indeed, more so than it is sure to already be.

His email is:

UDI Tech Support

Michel Kohanim

Universal Devices, Inc.

support@universal-devices.com

I hope you don't mind my making this suggestion. It is not that Nucleus isn't good. But perhaps there is a way it can be better. If nucleus could talk to isy-994i, that would be a game changer. We can already talk thru Amazon Echo with isy-994i, but Amazon will not work with Michel and we have to use a Hue hub emulator. It works but is half baked. I imagine Nucleus could be the "Mercedes" of Echos.

Best regards and much success!

I'm looking forward to April!

L. Guitartexan

LEED AP BC+D

INFRARED SURVEYOR

GT

FYI I got the following reply from Emily at Nucleus:

"...I conferred with our CTO about your Universal Devices question: we are integrating with Amazon Alexa AVS and will be able to support the Universal Devices integration via that compatibility. There is a caveat: the current Alexa AVS does yet include the Universal Devices capability but should at some point in the very near future. So Nucleus will be able to be a dashboard for your Universal Devices hub perhaps not in the first iteration of our software but hopefully in the second or third."

FYI I got the following reply from Emily at Nucleus:

"...the current Alexa AVS does yet include the Universal Devices capability but should at some point in the very near future. So Nucleus will be able to be a dashboard for your Universal Devices hub perhaps not in the first iteration of our software but hopefully in the second or third."[/size][/font][/color]

I wonder what she means by Alexa AVS not currently supporting UD capability?

GT

Now this is a nice interface - an ISY integration would be fantastic.  Though it doesn't have the backing of Amazon's mighty bankroll, this does seem like the visual analogue of the Echo voice paradigm.  Hopefully they will make their platform extensible.  Would be awesome to be able to plug in apps -  video on demand services, music controllers, lighting controllers, etc.

i would rather see the same capability in an iPad app without having to purchase their limited capability hardware.  

Sorry I have to disagree with you on that. My family is tired of general purpose devices that do a little of everything but none of them well and are especially tired of app based interfaces that require them to wake up a device and launch an app to do something that should only require a simple button push or voice command. The Nucleus hardware is a lot cheaper than iPads so you can afford to put them throughout the house and is also powered by POE which makes better sense for an intercom devices than iPad style chargers.

Also an iPad is really designed to be carried around to different locations which is kind of the opposite of how you use a whole-house intercom system.

I agree. Also the Nucleus, if I understand its capabilities, will act like a video intercom no matter where you are. Video intercom between L.A. And Cincinatti? No problem. At least that's how I understand it. Seems like it would be great for kids off at college or keeping watch on an elder, stuff like that.

GT

• 1 year later...

I'd add a vote for Nucleus/ISY integration. We designed-in 4 Nucleus intercom units in our new home construction, just for the intercom capability. ISY and Insteon were already in the plan before we discovered the Nucleus, so being able to expand capabilities to use them together would be great!

Archived