ISY-26 with no Router or Network installed?

Brian H

Can a single computer with no network connection be setup to run the ISY-26?

Right now I have the network connector running a DSL interface [does not have a built in router like some do] with PPPOE directly. Through a Linksys Network Switch not a router. Mainly to allow one computer at a time to access the DSL unit; when I have a second test computer running.

I have seen that some network devices can be used with a computer if a cross type cable is used.

I do have XP Pro with all the latest updates.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Brian H

Someone from UD will chime in I'm sure, but I imagine if you manually set the IP address of the ISY-26, you could use a crossover cable to configure it from your PC.

Seems like a big hassle, especially when routers are so cheap nowadays.

Any reason you don't have a router?

MikeB,

You are 100% correct. You can use a cross over cable if and only if you setup ISY with a static IP address.

With kind regards,

Someone from UD will chime in I'm sure, but I imagine if you manually set the IP address of the ISY-26, you could use a crossover cable to configure it from your PC.

Seems like a big hassle, especially when routers are so cheap nowadays.

Any reason you don't have a router?

MikeB,

There are no drawbacks. The only "problem" we have found is with certain routers (such as ActionTec), if you use a static IP, and then try to use the ActionTec as the gateway/DNS, it will not let your traffic through. Other than that, we have not had any issues.

With kind regards,

Michel

On a side note, I'm a fan of setting my devices to static IPs whenever possible.

Any drawbacks to setting the ISY-26 to a static IP? Is there a set of instructions anywhere?

Thanks!

Hmm... I haven't had a chance to play with my DNS problem yet, but I was wondering if using a dynamic IP would cause any problems with port forwarding and access to the outside world. I'm just thinking that if uPnP takes care of that I can let down my guard a bit on assigning things to the ISy and let it do whatever it wants.

Hi jbev,

UPnP does take care of "the world accessing ISY" but it does not take care of "ISY accessing the world. That is where I think the problem lies: if you've assigned a static IP address to ISY, then - and depending on your router - you have to assign the ISP's DNS address to ISY instead of the router's address.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hmm... I haven't had a chance to play with my DNS problem yet, but I was wondering if using a dynamic IP would cause any problems with port forwarding and access to the outside world. I'm just thinking that if uPnP takes care of that I can let down my guard a bit on assigning things to the ISy and let it do whatever it wants.

Mike,

It's quite simple. You have two choices both of which are outlined in the Advanced Configuration Guide (on the CD or http://www.universal-devices.com/docs/p ... 0Guide.pdf .

In short, you have to connect to ISY's shell which can be accessed either by a serial connection to your computer or by telnet.

Since you are already on the telnet, simply go to your command prompt (Start->Run->type cmd) and type:

1. telnet isys.ip.address 126

2. enter your user id/password

3. When you get into the shell, type CT (stands for Configure TCP/IP).

Notes:

1. For security reasons, the shell commands timeout every 10 seconds so you will have 10 seconds each to enter your ip/netmask/gateway/dns

2. In the shell, all commands and responses are CAPITALIZED ... so, 'y' will never do what you want. Make sure you use 'Y'

3. Please note that some routers do not allow you to use them as a DNS server if you have not been assiged a DHCP address. So, if your notifications stop working, then try using your ISY's DNS server

With kind regards,

Michel

How do you configure a static IP on the ISY-26?

Archived