What is good app for integration of whole house (ELK, Lighting, A/V, Thermostats, etc.)

deirwin

Like most of us on this forum, I want to integrate everything that can be automated in the house and use it easily.  It's exciting now that Echo is smart enough to handle voice commands and that apps bring together all of the various systems (almost) seamlessly.  I want my kids or older parents or babysitter to use system without a learning curve.  So I ask, what app do you use to integrate your systems and how well do they work?

I'm currently using eKeypad Pro away from home and Simple Control (formerly Roomie Remote) at home.  System includes Sonos, ISY994, Insteon, Elk M1G, Trane Z-Wave and Wi-fi Thermostats (AC, baseboard heating, radiant floors), Lorex cameras/DVR, A/V equipment, Xbox, Wii, pool, temp sensors, global cache ethernet/IR adapter, (Echo not yet received.)  It's not perfect for sure, but getting closer to seamless than ever.  

To me:

EKeypad works well for straight forward remote access of ISY and ELK. But doesn't integrate everything or attempt to.  And Lorex doesn't "play nice" with automation systems/apps.  I am the only one in the house that has ever used this app. 

Simple Control has occasional hiccups, but mostly controls A/V equipment nicely.  Easy for everyone to use.  Also, because you can include URL's, it can open other apps within their app (at least it feels like it is within), so you can open Sonos or Lorex app...  But I can't control the thermostats or see their status from within the remote, like it does with lighting.  I can see/control a Nexia thermostat, but not ISY controlled thermostats.  IR emitter has been more consistent than ethernet commands.  I would recommend it because I'm sure they will overcome the hiccups and don't know of another strong app others are using, and everyone in house can easily control things - usually and the babysitter - kind of... 

Would really like to know what others are using and if they think it is best/good solution.

Well "self manageable" killed my idea for you. RTI remote control systems are very powerful and could meld this altogether nicely. However its more expensive than most people want to spend and requires an authorized installer/programmer.

I was tired of all the "standalone" devices I had and dumped them all. No RasPi needed to run X program to get Y working/integrated, no special programs running on a PC, etc I wanted rock solid reliability and not have to mess with fixing things. When I was younger and had more time than money it was fine. As I get older I rather pay more so I can do other things with my limited time.

Edit: fwiw all programming to rti can be sent remotely. No one has to come inside.

Well "self manageable" killed my idea for you. RTI remote control systems are very powerful and could meld this altogether nicely. However its more expensive than most people want to spend and requires an authorized installer/programmer.

I was tired of all the "standalone" devices I had and dumped them all. No RasPi needed to run X program to get Y working/integrated, no special programs running on a PC, etc I wanted rock solid reliability and not have to mess with fixing things. When I was younger and had more time than money it was fine. As I get older I rather pay more so I can do other things with my limited time.

Edit: fwiw all programming to rti can be sent remotely. No one has to come inside.

I too would favor reliability over fiddling, however I totally hate being at the whim of someone to fix something I already own and could deal with myself.  For example, a local company installed my alarm system with the previous owner.  For some reason on 8 zones they didn't do home runs back to the main wiring area and did a single run of the bus.  I can't find WHERE that 8 zone expander is and 3 of the zones aren't working.  I've called the installer, I've emailed the installer, and I get no response about where the expander is.

I've climbed around one attic looking for it and failed to find it.  It's probably buried by insulation.  I'm sure they know where it is because this home was the personal home of a very well respected builder and they did all the maintenance on the system.  They made sure he was taken care of because of his influence on their future business.  But for me, they won't give me the time of day to even say where the expander is.

I hate that.

I too would favor reliability over fiddling, however I totally hate being at the whim of someone to fix something I already own and could deal with myself. For example, a local company installed my alarm system with the previous owner. For some reason on 8 zones they didn't do home runs back to the main wiring area and did a single run of the bus. I can't find WHERE that 8 zone expander is and 3 of the zones aren't working. I've called the installer, I've emailed the installer, and I get no response about where the expander is.

I've climbed around one attic looking for it and failed to find it. It's probably buried by insulation. I'm sure they know where it is because this home was the personal home of a very well respected builder and they did all the maintenance on the system. They made sure he was taken care of because of his influence on their future business. But for me, they won't give me the time of day to even say where the expander is.

I hate that.

While I understand and agree with you 100% it doesnt mean there arent other installers out there who are the complete opposite. Like any industry/service there are good guys and bad guys. You just do your best to find the good guys. ;) There are just somethings it worth paying the money for their expertise and time.

Archived