Harmony control via Amazon Echo/ISY/IFTTT

waterbaby64

Just got my Harmony Companion and Hub all setup. Going to start with using IFTTT with the Echo and ISY fully aware of latency with IFTTT. I will graduate to restful-harmony when I get time to learn "all that stuff". Right now, just trying to do something quick.

I do have a few questions with the IFTTT path I am taking.

I have currently setup the following:

1. Added Harmony channel to IFTTT, linking to my Harmony account

2. Setup network resources on the ISY to send "WatchTV" or "TurnOffTV" activities

3. Setup recipes with Maker to receive ISY network resource commands and control Harmony activities

4. Setup programs to call the network resources (for ISY portal / Amazon Echo)

So, my issue is the spoken words for something as simple as "turn on tv/turn off tv".

1. The Harmony has a WatchTV activity and a Power Off AV activity.

2. I want to be able to say "Alexa, turn on TV" or "Alexa, turn off TV".

3. So, the spoken word is "tv" but with two separate actions.

4. How do I add that to the echo list in the ISY portal? I was wanting to use a program, but don't know how on and off are handled in a single program. Or is that the wrong way?

Sorry if this was a bit winded, but I think I'm missing something pretty obvious.

Thanks,
Amro

For any ISY program On runs Then and Off runs Else. If you also want the If evaluated, tell Alexa to ask Izzy to run the program.

The Echo, more specifically, Alexa has some difficulty with letter words, such as TV. Terms such as video or tele may be interpreted correctly more often.

For any ISY program On runs Then and Off runs Else. If you also want the If evaluated, tell Alexa to ask Izzy to run the program.

The Echo, more specifically, Alexa has some difficulty with letter words, such as TV. Terms such as video or tele may be interpreted correctly more often.

Awesome, thanks.

With ISYHelper I have no issues with Alexa "turn on family room Tivo" or "turn on family room TV".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Likewise with the Echo->IFTTT->ISY, Turn On/Off TV works fine for me (except for the IFTTT induced latency).

As soon as I have a free weekend afternoon, I'm moving to ISYHelper and bringing this as "in-house" as I can make it.

-Xathros

Alas, I am on iOS, so ISY Helper is not for me.

So far, this is working good (thanks Stu :)). TV is not working as well as "television". Still playing around with spoken words.

Also think I might use Echo->Harmony directly for channel selection since it would seem to be a bit more natural to say "Trigger CBS" as opposed to "Turn on CBS" if I go the ISY route.

Archived