Normal Polling Frequency: What is it for Insteon and Zwave?

ccclapp

Hi

I am trying to determine if I need to manually query devices in programs to get triggers based on readings, or if the "normal" polling frequency and reliability is sufficient.

In this particular case a program sets a variable based on the power lever (watts) reported on an iMeterSolo. (I do the same for Zwave Smart Plugs/Switches).  The variable then triggers programs.  If I want the variable (and thus the programs) to be accurate for any 5 minute interval, i.e. not be incorrect for longer than 5 min, do I need to query the energy meter to be safe, or am I good based on underlying poling frequency/reliability?

I imagine the answer may be different for battery devices??

Are there generally accepted times for reliable automatic polling?

Thanks 

I don't know specifically about the iMeterSolo and I don't have Zwave. But for Insteon in general there is no "normal polling" involved. The Insteon devices instantly report any change in their status to the PLM/ISY. (With some exceptions on a few older devices) So unless there are communication problems, the ISY should have the correct status of all devices without any polling. Of course you could setup an ISY program to query devices if you want to. As for battery devices, those can't be polled since those devices go to sleep.

I don't know specifically about the iMeterSolo and I don't have Zwave. But for Insteon in general there is no "normal polling" involved. The Insteon devices instantly report any change in their status to the PLM/ISY. (With some exceptions on a few older devices) So unless there are communication problems, the ISY should have the correct status of all devices without any polling. Of course you could setup an ISY program to query devices if you want to. As for battery devices, those can't be polled since those devices go to sleep.

Thanks for the reply.  I find what you describe for lights, etc, but not for other "data" eg power.

Unless there is an update to the data ISY is blind. Insteon is push technology.

You may query devices from the ISY end, as stated above, except for battery devices.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

With energy reporting devices i.e. iSoloMeter and Z wave smart plugs, the data changes but is not immediately updated to Isy based on my experience. That being the case I'm wondering what is the update frequency? It is starting to look like the iMetersolo never updates and must always be pulled by a program. I'm not sure what the frequency is for Z wave. I'm also not sure if there are other Instion devices like the imeter that require polling

Thanks

My Energy capable ZWave devices all have parameters that define update intervals as well as update thresholds.  Once configured, these devices send their data regularly and reliably.

-Xathros

My Energy capable ZWave devices all have parameters that define update intervals as well as update thresholds.  Once configured, these devices send their data regularly and reliably.

-Xathros

Thanks for that info.  Im sure I can research and find the answer, but if you know off the top of your head or very minimal looking, do you know what settings tend to work and where/how one configures them?  Im not looking for a roadmap, just a short description.

Thanks Xathros!

No problem.  Always happy to help.

The parameters are different for each ZWave device type/manufacturer.  These should be documented by the device manufacturer.  If not, I have found many answers in this ZWave device library: http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/device?page=1  Click the device name on the left rather than the document icon on the right for a readable parameter listing.

Once you know the parameter ID's, parameter size and values, you can edit them in the ISY Admin console by right clicking on the ZWave device in the tree and selecting "ZWave / Set Configuration Parameters" from the popup menu.

post-1150-0-59599300-1457452347_thumb.jpg

Then enter the parameter ID, it's size and your desired value.

post-1150-0-68173100-1457452407_thumb.jpg

If you try to query a device to retrieve an existing parameter value, you must properly set the parameter's size in the dialog before you query.  Give the system a few (5 ish) seconds after hitting query for the ISY to chat with the device, receive and display the result.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

I have a few of those. I will check my settings when I get back to the office this afternoon.

-Xathros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are the key parameters I'm using for my smart plug:

Parameter   Size   Value    Comments
=========   ====   =====    ================================================
   1          1      0      MultiSensor reports Power
   90         1      1      Enable Params 91 & 92
   91         2      25     Minimum Watts change to report.
   92         2      5      Minimum % change in Watts to report.
   101        4      8      Report KWH in Grp 1
   102        4      2      Report Multisensor in Grp 2
   103        4      0      Grp 3 no report
   111        4      600    Group 1 report every 600 Seconds (You will want 300 here)
   112        4      600    Group 2 report every 600 secs (10 min)

I think thats all I set on mine.

-Xathros

Archived