Echo device software version 3077 vs 3202

Hi guys.

Searching with Google hasn't answered my questions. The Amazon kindle forum didn't help either (although I can't figure out why they haven't created an echo forum). So now I'm posting here.

Yesterday I noticed that one of my 2 echos was doing something. The blue ring was spinning for 30 seconds or so. I assumed it was updating but I really don't know. I looked in the Alexa app and found that its software version had changed to 3202.

What's really strange is that my other echo did NOT update. It still shows version 3077. I unplugged this echo and then plugged it back in according to the Amazon instructions but it has not updated.

I found this page that clearly shows that 3077 is the latest version for the echo and 3202 is the latest version of the dot. Confusing..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201602210

Why did only one echo update? How do we force an update when it isn't doing it on its own? What's the difference?

Is there a webpage out there where we can see the version numbers and hopefully a change log? I would like to know what exactly is changing when the echo just decides to update itself without input from me. And AT THE VERY LEAST a simple notification that an update is coming would be nice. Come on Amazon!

If anyone has info on this please post.

Thanks guys

Junky

I agree that Amazon ought to publish some sort of release notes detailing the contents of updates, especially given we appear not to be given a choice as to whether they are installed. It appears to me that Amazon is torn between keeping the Echo family of devices on the level of "appliances" with little need for user interaction to maintain and the more sophisticated device they've ended up being.

I'm still at 3077

Jon...

Have you ordered a Dot?  I wonder if the updated software is being pushed out to accounts that have ordered dots...

-Xathros

Updated last night. In master bedroom - at 3:51 AM!!! I thought, "What in blue blazes??" Quite literally, as it was BRIGHT. No Dot ordered, and I have four Echos, but ONLY the one updated.

Update (morning 3/29): Checked again this morning - still no additional Echos updated (just the one in MBR). Interesting that this unit abruptly offered to do Bluetooth pairing when I was in Alexa app this morning, but I was doing nothing that should have caused this.

The mystery of the Amazon has taken on a whole new meaning.

Edited by madcodger

Sounds like they are updating devices incrementally, perhaps based on serial number or some other sequence. This approach likely reduces the load on the update servers and puts Amazon in the position to stop updates if a serious bug crops up as the new firmware rolls out into the Wild West that is the real world.

That's probably a good idea, considering the damage done by faulty push updates to Nest thermostats and the Wink Hubs.

• 2 weeks later...