DIY Laser Etched KPL Custom Buttons

marcin

I have no doubt there are licenses you can buy that provide royalty free usage, and also authors that provide art with no restrictions - my main point is there are many, many different licenses, and its tough to know where the art came from when your given a file to duplicate.

If UDI is hosting a collection on the Wiki - they need to take effort to ensure third party licenses are being complied with. The same is true wherever they are hosted.

Copyright violation does not rely on there being a business transaction at all. Even duplicating the work for free is a violation of copyright.

My app is an Android app for controlling the Elk thru the ISY module.

Michael.

Keeping in mind a symbol at times is much easier to see and understand then a phrase.

As others also stated it comes down to use case and preference. For me I would only use clean defined phrases in an area of public use.

For more specific use like a status board I could see myself using a icon & phrase. Doing the color filtering and the inline paint to give that added pop. If done right would look very nice.

It's easy to cross that line of busy, gouty, to ghetto quickly.

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

Hey everybody!

Finally weekend is here and made some great progress... Somenody asked me a question if you can engrave switch paddles - and the answer is yes. it actually fits on the tray. See attached pictures.

I need to came up with some sort of template to hold paddle in place to make aligning it with the engraver tray easier, rubber band and the binder clips work but since I have switches next to each other I need to be consistent as far as aligning goes. I was thinking about using 0.5 inch plywood and using a dremel or router routing a shape of the paddle and then drilling the holes for the buttons on the back. I don't have a router or dremel, I will go to HD next weekend and hopefully I can find something....

Other option that I was thinking is getting 3D scan of the paddle and 3D printing some sort of tray for it. But I don't have 3D printer.

If somebody has any suggestion or  ideas please let me know.

Just my two cents re icons. Either way you have to be careful not violate any copyrights. It takes time to make the icons even the simple ones. If there are paid option you should purchase the icons - somebody put a lot of effort and energy in making them. If you have access to design software you can easily make few of them. You can always look for inspiration on line.

post-5569-0-18344500-1460232950_thumb.jpg

post-5569-0-74537300-1460233036_thumb.jpg

There are 3D printing companies out there can can print a item. Might have to either supply them with the file or have them design the file, print and test. I would be willing to donate direct to you via paypal to help pay the file design of the tray and have one test 3D printed for you then share the file with the community here. Then they can take that file to a 3D printer themselves to have made or use the same company. I would be willing to do one for the keypad buttons as well.

@einstein.42(again thank you for the Sonos node) and @MWareman (Thumbs Up)

Since multichannel support stable version 5  will be released soon (I hope) I very anxious to start integrating my gazzilion of sonos. I created icons for anybody (member of this forum only) to use and modify as desired. Icons can be resized and filled with color etc. Each icon consist of editable layers. Icons are in PNG format made in Fireworks.

post-5569-0-46942300-1460234218_thumb.png

I would like a pair of Man / Woman engraved symbols for my KPL outside my bathroom.

I have a microswitch sensing the position of the toilet seat and it could help avoid many of the complaints by showing what to expect when entering the bathroom.

:):):)

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST AS IT WILL BE REMOVD LATER.

M-hahaha . . .

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

Why not use the laser engraver to make (may take a few passes) the tray you want to hold the buttons and paddles in place in the wood or plastic or whatever you want to use.  Even a 1/16" or so is pretty deep to hold these small items in place.

Always wanted to get a laser engraver since intricate paper patterns came out for scrapbooking in the wife's hobby.  The cricuts and things like that are nice, but never quite as clean with that swivel knife as a laser would be with the paper.

So larry what you need is a airplane bathroom sign above your bathroom door. Then when in the bathroom press the keypad link with the man or woman icon and it shows then on the outside :)

6774b650de4d7d212e6f7e85157623ad.jpg

Not to drag this too far into thread.abuse,    but.... (Note:one "t")

If I am going to install a hydraulic operator to put the seat up and down, I would need some sort of detector, to remain a true  HA purist.

That brings up the question. Does anybody have a sensor that can detector the difference between genders? Photos?

OK...that's enough... my bad on this thread!

I looked at those engravers and have a few comments.

$84...wow! really cheap! ...and I wanted one. hmmmm... new women's fingernail tattoos?   "Hold still Honey!"

25-50 business days for shipping? Wow! three months? Yuk!

Laser is available in 500mW and 1000mW.  This looks like the 1000mW may be much more useful and faster but there may be an importing consideration and part of the reason for the 500mW unit.

Laser pens over 500mW may have to be licensed and stopped at the border if caught. My son had one in a laser pen and it could burst black balloons from across a room, no problem. When pointed at a stop sign about 0.5km away it looked like an arc welder in the dark. We could see it light up a tower 10-12km away. Scary things!

Archived