DIY Laser Etched KPL Custom Buttons

marcin

So this thread was hot back in June but kind of cooled off. Anyone have anything new to add or share? How did your buttons turn out? Was it worth doing or is it too much trouble? I would love to hear some feedback.

I had looked at some of the different models and it looks like most would need the higher power laser to make this work properly but it would be good to hear from some of the now experienced users.

My engraver hasn't had much use, because I had a test setup in my living room.

Not wanting to insist on everyone wearing laser goggles, I'm waiting until my basement craft space is finished.... A couple of weeks to go!

My first attempts. However, I do like the look of the silk screening on the original buttons better. The engraving could be a little soother for my tastes; maybe next go around I'll dial down from full power. Only strange thing was that it would print out the mirror image. I ended up having to flip the images before sending to machine. I don't know if it was mentioned before but I also learned to make the images 300 dpi so that they turn out much less pixelated. 

I have to gather there was some kind of alignment issue as all of the text is slanted and off center? This is my biggest fear and would probably drive me crazy and know I would probably go through a few blank chicklets until it came out perfect.

I'm really happy with my buttons,paint filler did not wear off after constant use. Now looking back I wish I would get engraver with bigger tray, I would love to make few buttons at one time. But so far so good.

Have you found any that have larger trays? If so would adjustments need to be made to the template/instructions? Did you do any paddles, if so how did they turn out?

I have to gather there was some kind of alignment issue as all of the text is slanted and off center? This is my biggest fear and would probably drive me crazy and know I would probably go through a few blank chicklets until it came out perfect.

I noticed this too and agree. I am OCD so it would bother me.

My engraver hasn't had much use, because I had a test setup in my living room.

Not wanting to insist on everyone wearing laser goggles, I'm waiting until my basement craft space is finished.... A couple of weeks to go!

Your no fun! Can't you say they are for the new 3D technology? Haha

What I found was that once you will set a template correctly you won't have alignment issues.

post-5569-0-58927300-1470923987_thumb.jpg

I would love to get a GLOWFORGE but it's really hard to justify spending $2,395.00 for Keypad Buttons. I attended the demo few months ago and I was truly impressed, you can actually micro adjust the laser output. There is whole bunch of laser engravers with bigger trays etc, but like I said before I cannot justify spending more than $200.00 for machine because I don't have any other use for it.                 

What I found was that once you will set a template correctly you won't have alignment issues.

attachicon.gifkeypad.jpg

I would love to get a GLOWFORGE but it's really hard to justify spending $2,395.00 for Keypad Buttons. I attended the demo few months ago and I was truly impressed, you can actually micro adjust the laser output. There is whole bunch of laser engravers with bigger trays etc, but like I said before I cannot justify spending more than $200.00 for machine because I don't have any other use for it.                 

Your buttons look perfect. It was dakall's post (#98) with a photo of his buttons and they are slightly crooked. I think thats what Teken and myself are afraid of. Your buttons look great. Have you done paddles yet for switchlincs? If so I would love to hear your thoughts and see pix.

EDIT: What about something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40W-CO2-LASER-ENGRAVING-MACHINE-MOSH-IDRAW-SOFTWARE-CUTTING-ENGRAVER-/131869960977?hash=item1eb40feb11:g:CnsAAOSwOVpXfc~A

Also you think the 1000mW version of the Neje would be beneficial or just a waste?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311596179551?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There is also these guys now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361612651887?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looking at my photos again, I see that my buttons look better in person -- although not totally perfect. If they looked like the photo, I know my wife would have said something by now.

There are a couple I will do over when I make my next batch....

Your buttons look perfect. It was dakall's post (#98) with a photo of his buttons and they are slightly crooked. I think thats what Teken and myself are afraid of. Your buttons look great. Have you done paddles yet for switchlincs? If so I would love to hear your thoughts and see pix.

EDIT: What about something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40W-CO2-LASER-ENGRAVING-MACHINE-MOSH-IDRAW-SOFTWARE-CUTTING-ENGRAVER-/131869960977?hash=item1eb40feb11:g:CnsAAOSwOVpXfc~A

Also you think the 1000mW version of the Neje would be beneficial or just a waste?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311596179551?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There is also these guys now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361612651887?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You may not be able to get a 1000mW laser past customs. Somebody told me a few years ago the largest laser allowed into Canada was 500mW. Larger than that you may need special permission and forms that you are not creating a weapon.

This is all if you get caught or it gets flagged. A separate laser element may get through customs easier.

More checking should be done before attempting this.

From what I remember about  the 500mW units,some advertising stated they were not for plastics etc,, but perfect for paper and lighter materials. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A suggesting that UDI host button designs has come up here several times.

Might I suggest a GitHub project or projects instead? It's not just for open-source software! Enlightened people use GitHub for any sort of open-source projects - electronic hardware designs, mechanical designs (3D print), novels, whatever...

As far as somebody printing commercially with a licensed icon set - read the licenses carefully, and I think you will find many that are suitable. You might not find that the author anticipated such a novel use, and so in that case you can contact the author and see if something can be worked out. Keep in mind that in most cases, the author has anticipated that users will deploy the icons on websites or in apps or on printed pages used by hundreds, thousands, millions, billions of people. It's unlikely they will want to extract large license fees for printing their icons on buttons. They make their money selling the icon sets to thousands of software developers - 10 bucks, 10 bucks, 10 bucks, 10 bucks, 10 bucks!

I use these licensed icon and font sets (icon fonts) extensively in my work of developing mobile apps.

And has been pointed out, you can find plenty of free ones anyway.

Now, try to license a letter font from a commercial font foundry for a novel use (or, really, ANYTHING other than use for printing flyers or whatnot or for use on a website) at a reasonable price. THAT is not going to happen! I have tried. I tried to license the font used by Bloomberg Businessweek. (It's not their own bespoken font) The foundry wants close to $1000 PER TYPEFACE to use in an app.

https://fontsinuse.com/uses/10/bloomberg-businessweek

I wound up using Input Sans instead of Neue Haas Grotesk. I was going for "highly readable", which Neue Hass Grotesk is, but Input Sans is even more readable, though a completely different look. Input is meant as a "programmer's font", but as it comes in a proportional version (as well as fixed-width, which is more suitable for use in an editor used for coding) there are many other uses for it! (I use it in an unpublished app for browsing Karaoke songs, where you will have drunk people trying to read a screen in the dark...)

There is my daily peave, and at the same time a suggestion for a great font to use on engraved keys!

http://input.fontbureau.com/

http://input.fontbureau.com/info/

For key tops, you will want to use it in a fairly heavy weight.

• 2 months later...

My printer just arrived today so I will be trying it out in the next few days. There has been quite a bit of discussion about sharing button designs so I created a GitHub project for this. You can access it at: https://github.com/stmrocket/KPLButtons So far, it just has button templates in a number of formats but feel free to contribute what you have created!

What printer/etcher did you end up getting?

Etcher would be a better word... I've been running the 3D printer today so that was stuck in my head... I ended up buying this one from GearBest: http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_343187.html?wid=8 It was on sale for $63 the week before Christmas so I decided to give it a go.

Seems like the Neje is the go to choice. Do you have a 3D printer? Are you planning on making a KPL and Switchlinc templates for the Neje? I would love to see the design templates be able to be produced so others like me can get them printed/made.

Seems like the Neje is the go to choice. Do you have a 3D printer? Are you planning on making a KPL and Switchlinc templates for the Neje? I would love to see the design templates be able to be produced so others like me can get them printed/made.

The Neje does seem to be a common choice.  Can't beat the price either.  I do have a 3D printer as well.  As far as template, are you referring to a template to hold the button centered on the etcher?  If so, I will be modelling one to print soon and will post it to the repository.

The Neje does seem to be a common choice. Can't beat the price either. I do have a 3D printer as well. As far as template, are you referring to a template to hold the button centered on the etcher? If so, I will be modelling one to print soon and will post it to the repository.

That's exactly what I been waiting for. A template design (via file) I can sent out to have made for the Neje that I can just drop in a button in and load a presaved file to produce OEM high quality etches on my buttons. I am OCD and want a perfect print everytime so willing to pay to play. Thanks for all your contributions to this product. I hope to share with the github when Im up and running. Guess Ill pull the trigger and get this model too. I was looking at the 1000W model as the pad/etching area looked bigger and it had a fan but why buck the system? Ill be a lemming and follow along.

That's exactly what I been waiting for. A template design (via file) I can sent out to have made for the Neje that I can just drop in a button in and load a presaved file to produce OEM high quality etches on my buttons. I am OCD and want a perfect print everytime so willing to pay to play. Thanks for all your contributions to this product. I hope to share with the github when Im up and running. Guess Ill pull the trigger and get this model too. I was looking at the 1000W model as the pad/etching area looked bigger and it had a fan but why buck the system? Ill be a lemming and follow along.

Here's a quick one I threw together.  I'll test print it tomorrow (Edit: it's already tomorrow so I guess that should be "later in the morning") to make sure my tolerances actually work once printed.  If so, I'll create one for the double buttons as well and load them into the project.

post-4374-0-26995100-1483510414_thumb.png

There are a lot of options and I did look at some of the units with bigger etching areas but decided to be a lemming as well.  

Here's the first fixture.  It holds the button tightly and keeps it aligned on the etcher.  I'm going to add some tabs that drop over the table on the etcher so that it can be aligned more easily.  The initial design is in the Fixtures directory on Git and I will push the revised one once it is tested.

post-4374-0-44080800-1483547966_thumb.jpg

Archived