Single Mobilinc dashboard button to show alarm status and arm/disarm

rccoleman

<I originally put this in the wrong forum, so I'm starting another thread in the Elk-specific section to try to get more targeted attention>

I'm trying to do something that feels simple to me, but I just can't figure it out.  I basically want a Mobilinc (iOS) dashboard button that both shows the current alarm status (armed/disarmed) *and* lets me toggle the status by tapping it.  Essentially what the giant red/green button does in the Mobilinc Elk plug-in, but on the dashboard.

Simple requirements -

* The dashboard button should always show the current alarm status (armed/disarmed), regardless of how it got that way (keypad, ISY admin console, program, etc).

* Tapping the dashboard button should toggle the alarm state: If it's armed, disarm it.  If it's disarmed, arm it in Away mode.

I can write programs to do either one of these things, but not both together on the same button.  I've tried all sorts of combinations of integer and state variables, disabled programs, and any other clever tricks that I can think of and I just can't make it work without unintended side effects.  Is there an easy way to do this that I'm just not seeing?

Thanks,

Rob

<I originally put this in the wrong forum, so I'm starting another thread in the Elk-specific section to try to get more targeted attention>

I'm trying to do something that feels simple to me, but I just can't figure it out. I basically want a Mobilinc (iOS) dashboard button that both shows the current alarm status (armed/disarmed) *and* lets me toggle the status by tapping it. Essentially what the giant red/green button does in the Mobilinc Elk plug-in, but on the dashboard.

Simple requirements -

* The dashboard button should always show the current alarm status (armed/disarmed), regardless of how it got that way (keypad, ISY admin console, program, etc).

* Tapping the dashboard button should toggle the alarm state: If it's armed, disarm it. If it's disarmed, arm it in Away mode.

I can write programs to do either one of these things, but not both together on the same button. I've tried all sorts of combinations of integer and state variables, disabled programs, and any other clever tricks that I can think of and I just can't make it work without unintended side effects. Is there an easy way to do this that I'm just not seeing?

Thanks,

Rob

I cant help you with the "at a glance notification" of arm/disarm status but you can create a "DO" button via IFTTT (using the DO app) via the ISY and Elk Module that states IF the alarm is disarmed when you press the DO button then it arms away (or whatever) and visa versa for the reverse. It can live on the main android page or drop down in the today screen on ios. If you use something like Pushover you can get push notification showing when arming and disarming. So leave the house, press the DO button and get a pushover push notification its armed. Then again visa versa for the reverse. I know its not exactly what your after but maybe its a good workaround. I do this and works fine for me. Would this work?

Thanks, Scott.  I am using a few "DO" widgets for other things, but the requirement to use the Maker channel and the weird choice to have the text descriptions quickly disappear make it a poor choice for me right now.  I'm hopeful that it'll get better over time, though.  The ctrlHome app can also add widgets to the Today view and it's a little better for this use case, but I was hoping to get everything in one place without cluttering my Today view with everything that currently sits on my Mobilinc dashboard.  I suppose I could limit the Today view to alarm, door lock, and garage states, with lights and other less interesting things staying in Mobilinc.  That's not a bad compromise.

As Michel recommended, I'll post this in the Mobilinc forum to see if there's a way to get it all working the way I want in their dashboard.

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks, Scott. I am using a few "DO" widgets for other things, but the requirement to use the Maker channel and the weird choice to have the text descriptions quickly disappear make it a poor choice for me right now. I'm hopeful that it'll get better over time, though. The ctrlHome app can also add widgets to the Today view and it's a little better for this use case, but I was hoping to get everything in one place without cluttering my Today view with everything that currently sits on my Mobilinc dashboard. I suppose I could limit the Today view to alarm, door lock, and garage states, with lights and other less interesting things staying in Mobilinc. That's not a bad compromise.

As Michel recommended, I'll post this in the Mobilinc forum to see if there's a way to get it all working the way I want in their dashboard.

Thanks,

Rob

I totally understand and agree. And yea the bug with the DO names on the today screen bugs the crap out of me. I can't understand why they haven't fixed it yet. Just thought it could be a workaround until something better comes along. Wes wants you to pay for the damn today widgets as part of the Mobilinc connect. I asked him about six months ago if he would break that feature out as a one time purchase as a plugin and he said he would think about it but it never came to fruition unfortunately. I know a handful of people if it happened that would gladly pay for it. I will subscribe to your other thread just in case something changes.

Hi Scott,

Wes wants you to pay for the damn today widgets as part of the Mobilinc connect.  I asked him about six months ago if he would break that feature out as a one time purchase as a plugin and he said he would think about it but it never came to fruition unfortunately. 

The Today View widgets are included with the MobiLinc Connect subscription as a bonus for our subscribers, however, if you use a direct IP we offer Today View support as part of the Extended Screens plug-in which supports the Today View and Apple Watch for all ISY users and their connection method. Extended Screens was released summer of 2015: http://mobilinc.com/features/extendedscreens/

Rob,  

I'll respond to your original post in the new thread.

Wes

Hi Scott,

The Today View widgets are included with the MobiLinc Connect subscription as a bonus for our subscribers, however, if you use a direct IP we offer Today View support as part of the Extended Screens plug-in which supports the Today View and Apple Watch for all ISY users and their connection method. Extended Screens was released summer of 2015: http://mobilinc.com/features/extendedscreens/

Rob,  

I'll respond to your original post in the new thread.

Wes

Well Wes I owe you an apology. I went and looked at my PMs between us on this topic and we discussed this back in May of last year! Time flies when your having fun as they say. So its totally my fault for not actually reading the posts when you released the plugin. All I saw was "extended screens" and "apple watch" so skipped over it. Is there any trial mode for plugins? I would like to see how it works. Again my apologies.

Hi Scott,

No worries at all. And yes, time certainly does move quickly. :)

Apple doesn't have a concept of trial plug-ins. In order to support something like that we'd have to get creative to enable the feature on a time basis which I'm not sure would be approved by the App Store. It's a bit of uncharted territory. However, we in effect have a trial of the Today View widget by ways of MobiLinc Connect. MobiLinc Connect is free for 30 days no commitment. If you sign up for MobiLinc Connect you can try out both the service, push notifications, and the Today View Widget free for 30 days. You can go back to a direct IP at any point and pay for Extended Screens if you'd like, or keep MobiLinc Connect.

To signup for MobiLinc Connect, open MobiLinc and go to Settings->Lighting Controller->Host Type and select "MobiLinc Connect".

Select "Create a New Account" and follow the directions.

Wes

Archived