Some Echo connected home voice commands suddenly not recognized...

ahwman

Hello all,For me, things have gotten just a little better. Anyone else experiencing improvements? Now, it's back to just saying "Ok" and not get into a loop of "there's no x in Michel's profile".With kind regards,Michel

Michel,

I'm happy to hear things have gotten better for you. Unfortunately it's going the other direction for me as I woke up to yet more device names that just stopped working as of last night. If Amazon continues to strip available device names, the Echo's will become useless to me and perhaps others trying to control more than just lights and thermostats.

Very disappointing as I just don't understand the benefit by taking away functionality...

Chuck

Hello all,

For me, things have gotten just a little better. Anyone else experiencing improvements? Now, it's back to just saying "Ok" and not get into a loop of "there's no x in Michel's profile".

With kind regards,

Michel

I did notice last night that the OK came much faster like it used to.  I have not tried any of the words that stopped working yet.

Hi Chuck,

I am so very sorry to hear. Please note that all Skills will be migrated to their Smart Home APIs (no more Connected Home) for which we have submitted for certification. I think after the migration (early May) things are going to go back to normal.

In all cases, we do keep sending Amazon feedback.

With kind regards,
​Michel

It seems Amazon has cleaned up their act.  Now if they will only leave it alone (fat chance).  Names of music (e.g. Waterfall) now tuns on my pool waterfall as it should as in "Alexa turn on the waterfall". The action is completed in less than a second after I finish speaking the command. The "OK" comes within a second after the command action. Very nice, as it should be. I suspect that part of the improvement is in the UDI smart home skill. Kudos to all involved.

My latest project involves removing a gas fireplace (in Florida?) and installing an electric LED unit. I am not planning on using the built in heaters. The unit has a remote which was easily reverse engineered (i have all the right tools) to determine the protocol (NEC 256) and the device and function codes. When it all gets done Alexa will control the unit naturally. 

Hi Chuck,

I am so very sorry to hear. Please note that all Skills will be migrated to their Smart Home APIs (no more Connected Home) for which we have submitted for certification. I think after the migration (early May) things are going to go back to normal.

In all cases, we do keep sending Amazon feedback.

With kind regards,

​Michel

Hey Michael,

Does that mean that Amazon acknowledged to UDI they are aware of the severe degradation of the service, an they will indeed bring it back to fully functional as it was, or you are expressing your hopes this will happen?

Cheers :)

• 1 month later...

Hi barrygordon,Ditto ... I was actually shocked last night! All commands were accepted (without Echo second guessing me).With kind regards,Michel

Michel,

Has Amazon ever come back with a response regarding all of these changes? I'm still seeing anomalies with certain keywords and it's very frustrating...

Thanks for all you do!

Chuck

Archived