Folder Conditions

ldrinc

I have a client whom I have installed an ISY994I for. I have created a folder with programs in it that I use to help monitor the status of a few insteon door sensors.  These programs are NOT to be disabled at anytime. My client controls his devices and programs using an Iphone via the Mobilinc Pro App.  

I have instructed my client on a number of occasions on how to use the program to control the devices and have suggested that he NOT disable certain programs that would cause the system not to function as designed.  Unfortunately, he continues to do so sometimes without knowing what he has done until something doesn't function as required and he gets a notice from the system suggesting that something has malfunctioned because of a system or user error.

Most of the time he calls me upset that the system is not doing what it is designed to do because of a programming error on my part.  In all cases so far the programming was not the problem.  It was because the user had inadvertently disabled a program without realizing what he has done.

I have tried numerous times to help my client understand what the problem is but he's just not getting it.  At this point, the only way to eliminate both my client and my frustrations are to limit access to this particular folder.  However, I'm not sure the proper way to go about it.  

That said, my questions are... Is there a way to 1) hide the fact that this particular folder exists ? or condition the folder so that the programs in it cannot be  disabled by an end user without using the admin console?  Also, 2) is there a way to trigger a notice to be sent if a program has been disabled by someone?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

The first two requests to your question is no. The last part would be crafting a monitoring program to watch the state of the folder and send a email affirming the same.

This is a user issue which either requires more edification, hand holding, or accepting he/she is going to be a loss leader.

So one would have to beg to ask the question once you determine the root cause is user error. What does the user have to say about all of this?!?!

Doing something more than three times isn't a mistake its failure to comprehend what is happening. I believe this is why so many people have begged and pleaded UDI offer multi user login rights.

Having such a feature with say a read only, user, full user, to admin would have prevented any of this from the onset. But then again people often call out the famous phrase *you can't fix stupid* if they are hell bent in doing it over and over again.

I feel your pain as there have been a few installs where the end user was really trying my patience and ultimately we just charged more until they either stopped calling or smarten up!

I have a client whom I have installed an ISY994I for. I have created a folder with programs in it that I use to help monitor the status of a few insteon door sensors.  These programs are NOT to be disabled at anytime. My client controls his devices and programs using an Iphone via the Mobilinc Pro App.  

I have instructed my client on a number of occasions on how to use the program to control the devices and have suggested that he NOT disable certain programs that would cause the system not to function as designed.  Unfortunately, he continues to do so sometimes without knowing what he has done until something doesn't function as required and he gets a notice from the system suggesting that something has malfunctioned because of a system or user error.

Most of the time he calls me upset that the system is not doing what it is designed to do because of a programming error on my part.  In all cases so far the programming was not the problem.  It was because the user had inadvertently disabled a program without realizing what he has done.

I have tried numerous times to help my client understand what the problem is but he's just not getting it.  At this point, the only way to eliminate both my client and my frustrations are to limit access to this particular folder.  However, I'm not sure the proper way to go about it.  

That said, my questions are... Is there a way to 1) hide the fact that this particular folder exists ? or condition the folder so that the programs in it cannot be  disabled by an end user without using the admin console?  Also, 2) is there a way to trigger a notice to be sent if a program has been disabled by someone?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

The first two requests to your question is no. The last part would be crafting a monitoring program to watch the state of the folder and send a email affirming the same.

This is a user issue which either requires more edification, hand holding, or accepting he/she is going to be a loss leader.

You CAN hide programs from the Mobilinc user!  And devices and scenes as well!

In the Mobilinc settings, there is a setting called"Hide Text" that defaults to {HIDE ME}.  I have Edited mine to be {H}.

Anything that I don't want to see in Mobilinc gets prefixed in the Admin Console with {H} which prevents it from being seen in Mobilinc.  This works for Devices, Scenes and Programs.  

Take all of the programs that you don't want this user messing with and prefix them with your choice of Hide Text.  The UDAjax page will hide items prefixed with a ~ so that might  be a better choice rather than {H} or {HIDE ME} since it would also work on the web interface.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

That solution works well in the case the user is not aware of them. But in this case he does and don't know how the OP is going to sell the end user to hand over his mobile in hopes of *hiding* something that is well known.

So what happens when the end user goes into the Admin UI?

That solution works well in the case the user is not aware of them. But in this case he does and don't know how the OP is going to sell the end user to hand over his mobile in hopes of *hiding* something that is well known.

So what happens when the end user goes into the Admin UI?

Yep... you hit the nail on the head... the end user is aware that the ability to enable and disable a program is there.  He'd question the ability if it disappears now.  As for the end user going into the Admin UI... LOL!  Well, although I have told him (numerous times) how to get there and the benefits of such.  He refuses to even try.  Furthermore, at this point, I am reluctant to remind him of the option.  I'm afraid he'd screw up even more.

BTW.. He never complains about my bill, Soooo.. I guess I will try to be more patient and hope that he will come around at some point. 

Thanks again for all the feedback

The old sign in the mechanics shop

Labour to repair $45 per hour

Labour if you want to watch $60 per hour

Labour if you want to help $100 per hour.

Hey. This is  a great feature request for ISY!

If

$sTechnician.mode = 0

Then

set Program 'Geyed Out'

Else

---

Or even another section in the folder conditions.

VISIBLE (defaults to true)

If

$sDo_Not_Modify = 18214   <------becomes a password as this line wouldn't be visible without setting the variable to value

Edit:  Posted in feature request thread

Yep... you hit the nail on the head... the end user is aware that the ability to enable and disable a program is there.  He'd question the ability if it disappears now.  As for the end user going into the Admin UI... LOL!  Well, although I have told him (numerous times) how to get there and the benefits of such.  He refuses to even try.  Furthermore, at this point, I am reluctant to remind him of the option.  I'm afraid he'd screw up even more.

BTW.. He never complains about my bill, Soooo.. I guess I will try to be more patient and hope that he will come around at some point. 

Thanks again for all the feedback

Hey, as long as he's paying for your time its just business . . .

The old sign in the mechanics shop

Labour to repair $45 per hour

Labour if you want to watch $60 per hour

Labour if you want to help $100 per hour.

Hey. This is a great feature request for ISY!

If

$sTechnician.mode = 0

Then

set Program 'Geyed Out'

Else

---

Or even another section in the folder conditions.

VISIBLE (defaults to true)

If

$sDo_Not_Modify = 18214 <------becomes a password as this line wouldn't be visible without setting the variable to value

Edit: Posted in feature request thread

Love it. Your right for the masses this sign is perfect! For some of us though we may pay the $100 to learn how not to pay the $45! Lol Am I right? Pay a little school to learn it yourself. Gonna cost either way.

Archived