solving my communication issues

MikeB

About a month or so ago I started noticing some communication issues with my home's Insteon installation. Missed commands, KPL status buttons out of sync, etc. All were communication issues to and from my ISY/PLM, never device-to-device. The most difficult part was that reliability was still pretty good - maybe 90-95%, which made it more difficult to troubleshoot.

I had a lot of recent changes in my system - new ApplianceLincs & LampLincs, holiday lighting, new ISY firmware, etc. I usually try to make changes slowly so it's easier to narrow down the cause of a problem when an issue does occur, but the intermittent nature of this problem made it difficult for me to pinpoint exactly when it started.

The first hiccups I noticed with the system were basically the ISY not being aware of a switch's status change (the switch was turned on, but the ISY still showed it as off). Loading up the Admin Console and pressing the switch a bunch of times showed that the ISY saw the status change the vast majority of times, but did miss one every now and then. Kicking the Event Viewer up to a log view of 2 revealed, for example, something like this:

A good switch press would show these entries:

2008/12/22 21:04:53 : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 06.E2.34 00.00.01 C7 11 00 LTONRR (00)

2008/12/22 21:04:53 : [ 6 E2 34 1] DON 0

2008/12/22 21:04:53 : [ 6 E2 34 1] ST 255

2008/12/22 21:04:53 : [ A B9 7F 1] ST 255

2008/12/22 21:04:54 : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 06.E2.34 0C.A6.12 42 11 01 LTONRR (01)

A bad switch press would show only this entry:

2008/12/22 21:05:00 : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 06.E2.34 0C.A6.12 43 11 01 LTONRR (01)

The intermittent nature of the problem and the number of changes I had made in my system initially had me going crazy. I was looking for a quick fix, so I tried a variety of things on a whim:

- downgrading ISY firmware (no difference)

- relocating my PLM

- yanking new ApplianceLincs and LampLincs

- replacing a particularly troublesome switch

- unplugging holiday lighting

- moving AccessPoints around

Some things helped somewhat, other things maybe solved one problem but caused another. I did find a CFL that had died - I thought for sure that would be the issue, but replacing it did not help.

I ended up finding the cause of my main issues - an AccessPoint was accidentally unplugged. However, I was still left with some very intermittent issues. In hindsight I believe I've had these occasional missed commands all along, but they weren't often or consistent enough for me to notice much. The other, more severe issues I was having (due to the missing AccessPoint) led me to test more thoroughly and notice these other minor issues.

The problem wasn't too severe, so I shelved it for a couple of weeks. Finally this weekend I had some time, and decided to start from scratch. I ended up:

- pulling all AccessPoints

- returning my PLM to its original location

I started by installing 2 of my AccessPoints (I have 5) on opposite phases as close to my electrical panel as possible. Once I verified they were communicating and on opposite phases, I went ahead and re-tested my problematic devices. I found that the switches with intermittent comm issues to my PLM were all located on the 2nd floor of my home (the bedrooms). My bedrooms all have arc fault breakers installed, which I suspect may have been a contributor to my signal issues at these locations.

The next thing I did was map all my bedroom circuits so I knew what was on which circuit. I did this by turning off 1 bedroom breaker at a time, and writing down any key locations on that circuit (Insteon switch, outlet with an Insteon module, outlet with a potentially noise-producing item plugged in, and outlet in an obscure location where I might want to locate an AccessPoint).

Once I had the bedroom circuits mapped out, I would test a problematic device, see a failure, install an AccessPoint, and re-test. Installing a couple of AccessPoints in key locations seem to have resolved all of my comm issues. I'll know for certain in the next week or so.

Here are a few things I learned, or actually things I knew but maybe this experience reinforced:

- Try to make changes in stages, and test well in between. With powerline technologies seemingly minor changes and additions can affect reliability in a major way.

- Never assume you know what items are on the same circuit unless you KNOW what items are on the same circuit. By powering down my breakers one at a time and mapping out my bedroom circuits I learned a lot about how they are wired. In many cases I was surprised that certain things weren't on the same circuit, and surprised to find out certain things WERE on the same circuit. In one instance I had 2 outlets 4 feet from one another in the same room that I just assumed were on the same circuit - they were not. CLOSE PHYSICAL LOCATIONS DO NOT MEAN CLOSE PROXIMITY ON THE POWERLINE! Mapping these circuits out really helped me pick appropriate and efficient locations for my AccessPoints.

- Take the time to document exactly what devices are causing you issues, and confirm what circuits they are on. Sometimes a little research can go a long way towards making a seemingly confusing problem a very solvable one.

- Locate AccessPoints to bridge your phases as close to the electrical panel as posisble. Luckily I have 2 circuits in my basement with outlets right next to the panel that are on opposite phases which is ideal.

- Local your PLM on as clean a circuit as possible. Putting your PLM close to the breaker panel in a relatively clean circuit can help its communications tremendously. If possible, install a dedicated circuit for the PLM.

- Use AccessPoints to repeat signals in potentially weak areas. In my case I believe my arc fault breakers may have been weakening my signal. Adding an RF AccessPoint to the trouble circuits seem to have improved my signal by jumping the powerline in these areas.

Hopefully this post will help others with similar communication issues.

Good luck!

Hi Mike,

Thanks so very much for the detailed analysis which I am certain many will find extremely useful.

While reading, I couldn't help but wonder why an AP would pass along the SRX to PLM but not the SRX to Group. They are both the same length, and seme command, except that the recipient is a group instead of the PLM. If this is indeed a consistent behavior (getting the SRX to PLM but not to the group) then I suspect there's something wrong with the way APs handle propagating group commands.

With kind regards,

Michel

The next thing I did was map all my bedroom circuits so I knew what was on which circuit. I did this by turning off 1 bedroom breaker at a time, and writing down any key locations on that circuit (Insteon switch, outlet with an Insteon module, outlet with a potentially noise-producing item plugged in, and outlet in an obscure location where I might want to locate an AccessPoint).

Great write up Mike. Thanks for documenting this.

The map of the circuits is a good idea. I made a spreadsheet showing the outlets and switches on each cicuit, then added the circuit number, A or B Leg, devices installed (filters, insteon, X-10). It is a big help when issues pop up. And I found some 3-way slaves that were in a box with a different circuit. Not a big deal, unless you use the wrong neutral.

Hey Michel -

I'm not sure what exactly was going on, but it definitely seemed consistent. With just about every missed command, the INST-SRX did make it through.

One thing I want to be clear about, however, is that although I did have AccessPoints installed bridging my phases, I believe they are in much more efficient locations now. I also have AccessPoints installed on these particular circuits that were causing me issues.

WITH the AccessPoints installed on these problematic circuits, my communications (so far) seem great. So, I believe my intermittent issues were caused by:

1 - some device on these circuits that I have not been able to pin point

2- the circuit breakers themselves, which in these particular rooms (bedrooms) are AFCI breakers

The map of the circuits is a good idea. I made a spreadsheet showing the outlets and switches on each cicuit, then added the circuit number, A or B Leg, devices installed (filters, insteon, X-10). It is a big help when issues pop up.

Far more detailed than what I did, but maybe when I have some free time... :)

And I found some 3-way slaves that were in a box with a different circuit. Not a big deal, unless you use the wrong neutral.

Good point. I have a couple of these locations as well - I ended up passing the neutral along with the line from the load location.

• 2 months later...

I just learned that my old PLM (firmware v. 52) is obsolete, and I'm waiting for my new one to arrive from SH.

Meanwhile, as I read more about PLMs on the forum, I see that there is some question about the functionality of aging Access Points as well. So,

(1) Should Access Points with firmware versions below some number be replaced? If so, what is the firmware version cutoff?

(2) Do Signal Lincs (the predecessor of the Access Point with the front outlet and the antenna on the bottom) still support all current Insteon i1/i2 communications, in particular those generated by the ISY-99i? Or should these also be discarded and replaced with current-version Access Points? -GA

Archived