Google Home Announced

Scottmichaelj

Don't know but always like competition in the market place as it keeps the competitor on their toes and forcing them to work for it. My only issue is seeing flash in the pan ideas that had legs but ultimately was abandoned by which ever vendor.

I don't believe in the history of technology has there ever been a period where the consumer must be ultra careful in investing hard earned money into some random tech.

You just don't know where its going to be next year . . .

People could argue *Well at least they tried*, sure . . .

But when a company has a consistent history of jumping ship and dumping product support. No, you don't give them the benefit of the doubt because they have proven they will screw you over in time.

I've taken the position to stand aside and watch from afar and see what shakes out instead. Back in the day these sorts of things were seen by small start up companies now this kind of mentality is seen by every multi billion dollar company from A-Z.

Quite sad really . . .

I'm cautiously reluctant to hand any single ai my calendar, my email, my transportation, my photos, my documents, my financial transactions, my search queries, and now, unrestricted access to my voice conversations.

At what point will it conclude it already knows everything I know? From there, it is a slippery slope to the decision to eliminate one more redundant 'analog' interface with the world. At least Echo knows the correct answer to the question "what are the three laws of robotics?"

My guess: HA will likely only come via their Nest partners, and probably still exclude UDI (because of Google's insistence to exclude companies that do Demand/Response energy products)

My guess: HA will likely only come via their Nest partners, and probably still exclude UDI (because of Google's insistence to exclude companies that do Demand/Response energy products)

UDI should pick a side, either be a Home Automation company or  move completely to a Demand/Response. I suspect UDI needs the energy side to pay for the day to day operations which they get from the Pocos.

You need to read between the lines ;) The new Google Hub was announced, integration between the two will come shortly.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/11/nest-openthread/

UDI should pick a side, either be a Home Automation company or  move completely to a Demand/Response. I suspect UDI needs the energy side to pay for the day to day operations which they get from the Pocos.

You need to read between the quotes. UDI is both Demand/Response and HA B)

Lol sure...and do neither well.

B) I'm more than willing to be enlightened B)

What are you using that does HA better? Or, if you're not actually using something abler than the ISY, then why aren't you using it?

B) I'm more than willing to be enlightened B)

What are you using that does HA better? Or, if you're not actually using something abler than the ISY, then why aren't you using it?

Hahahah nothing is 100% complete. Keep drinking the koolaid and posting to get that post count up. :)

Hahahah nothing is 100% complete. Keep drinking the koolaid and posting to get that post count up. :)

I prefer Rufino chianti, Elephant beer and Hornitos tequila--in no particular order.

Well back on the topic then :) The COOL video they showed.. You know with the family using Google Home.. was proceeded by "this is what MIGHT BE one day".. Hence nothing much there is even real except the very cool google search. Alexa already does most of that except sadly the very powerful Google search..

Cheers,

Alex

I have absolutely no doubt (IF) Google was serious to remain in the Home Automation industry for the long haul. Great things would come out of it and the general public would reap the benefits.

Unfortunately this company has no real direction and struggles internally every day with different departments and senior management.

I could spend all day offering examples of services and products Google started and abandoned mid stream. One only has to look at the massive waste of money they sunk into Boston Dynamics Robotics.

Only, to pull out yet again . . .

Oh year that makes perfect sense to buy a company for tens of millions of dollars. Sink (waste) billions of dollars in R&D only to say well that was fun, next . . .

Keep in mind this is the same company which believes its a great idea to send balloons to act like AP's for wireless connectivity. In the big picture even if they completely fail in this sector it will have spurred on other companies to do better. With so many also rans entering the fray its going to be quite the Gong Show in the next 24 months.

Its going to be very funny to see the people who buy the entire Google HA eco system and the negative outcome that comes out of it.

That, you can take to the bank . . .

I'm going to pick up one if it's priced right just to mess with it. While my echos are connected to my system, I rarely uusefor HA. I am intrigued about being able to string together multiple commands which is much better than Amazon's current implementation.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived