Sub-Account

rossarmstrong

I'm trying to configure my system to work with multiple Echo/Dot devices.

The wiki talks about setting up sub-accounts in the Portal.

But I can't find instructions on how to do so.

It is not obvious to me when adding an account how to select it as a sub-account.

Also, once I'm able to create the sub-accounts and complete the multiple Echo/Dot setup, will it result in each device accessing its own amazon alexa account for things like the shopping list?

Thanks

The wiki merely states "Create a sub-account."

Since there is no option listed to select "sub-account" when adding an account, am I to assume that any account other than [Main account] is automatically a sub-account?

Also, since Amazon only lets you share two accounts, how are folks with more than two devices choosing to setup their system?

Obviously I'm not getting a good picture on the relationship between multiple echos, amazon accounts and UDI portal accounts and the different configuration options when setting up a system.

Perhaps someone can edit the wiki to help map this out.

I am also unclear on the Wiki because it seems to say that you also need separate Amazon account for separate echos. Amazon does not require that -you can them under the same account, then why the Wiki seams to say I need multiple Amazon accounts? I do understand why need separate ISY Portal accounts..

Currently I have 1 Echo, but waiting on two Dots and only have (and needs and want) only one Amazon Prime account..

Cheers,

Alex

Create an Amazon account. Open the portal, select My Account, Add. After adding the account, select Users and create a user and link that account to you Amazon account (see Instructions for Connected Home).

I have four accounts. Two are linked, the other two are entirely independent.

• 1 month later...

You need two Amazon.com accounts if you want to give the same exact verbal command in two different rooms, and have different things happen.

For example, "Alexa turn on the lights", when I'm upstairs, turns on the upstairs lights. The same command when I'm downstairs, turns on the downstairs lights. All the lights in my house are controlled by the same ISY and ISY portal with a subaccount.

-Barry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need two Amazon.com accounts if you want to give the same exact verbal command in two different rooms, and have different things happen.

For example, "Alexa turn on the lights", when I'm upstairs, turns on the upstairs lights. The same command when I'm downstairs, turns on the downstairs lights. All the lights in my house are controlled by the same ISY and ISY portal with a subaccount.

-Barry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, if I have one Echo and two Dots (all in different rooms) and want when I say "turn lights on" each of them to respond by turning the respective lights in that room - I actually need 3 separate AMAZON accounts? And if that's the case does it mean all 3 must be Prime (if I want Amazon Prime music in each room?) That would be crazy expensive.. Or there is a way to share one Prime account? When I receive my dogs, before I even took them out of their boxes, I saw them in my Amazon app already under that a me Prime account.. So all e go devices can be under one account..

So then in case I do require 3 Amazon accounts that means that each ISY Portal account requires to connect to a separate Amazon account instead of separate Echo device (which I would think makes sense)?

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Alex, yep, for each of them to respond by turning on the respective lights in that room, you indeed need 3 separate amazon accounts.  And also yes, if you want Prime music in each room, you'd need all three amazon accounts to be Prime (at least that's how Amazon has things working right now).

As you point out, the Echoes do come pre-linked to the Amazon account that ordered them.  After the Echos arrive, you have to un-link them from your main account, log into new Amazon accounts that you create specially for this purpose, and then link the Echo to those additional accounts.

On the ISY Portal, you create a sub-account for each Amazon account.

Instructions here: http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Portal_Amazon_Echo_Integration#Instructions_for_using_Multiple_Echos_Smart_Home

My two cents: it's ridiculous that Amazon requires this - my guess is they simply did not anticipate this situation of having Echoes in multiple parts of a house needing to have different "contexts".  It's early days:)  I bet that at some point they'll give us a way to have multiple contexts all within a SINGLE Amazon account.

Another thought:  You do have the option of leaving all three Echoes in one amazon account, and have different spokens set up for each room, e.g. "Turn on Den", "Turn on Bedroom", "Turn on Kitchen".  But because all spokens will work in all rooms (and for me this is a pretty big "but") if Alexa mis-hears you as it occasionally does, or if someone is intentionally goofing around, you will end up turning stuff on/off in other parts of the house and not know it.  e.g. you could be in the kitchen late at night, and you accidentally turn on the light in the bedroom where someone is sleeping.  Whereas with separate accounts, you can set things up so that each room does not know about the other room's spokens..

-Barry

Hi Alex, yep, for each of them to respond by turning on the respective lights in that room, you indeed need 3 separate amazon accounts. And also yes, if you want Prime music in each room, you'd need all three amazon accounts to be Prime (at least that's how Amazon has things working right now).....

-Barry

THANK YOU Barry! I really hope that's get mended somehow and soon. :)

Cheers,

Alex

I have four Amazon accounts, only one of which is prime, so I can do exactly what is mention, that is, "Echo_Name, turn on/off the light/fan etc." in the room I'm in without having to specify which room. Echos and Dots withing hearing range of each other do need different names.

Disadvantage: I sometimes use the wrong wake name B)

I went through the same thing when I added a second Echo. It should be made clear that a sub-account is only needed if you want the different Echoes to respond differently with the same commands. I don't have a problem with adding defining words to all of my lighting. When my Dot arrives, I'll just add it to the main account.

• 6 months later...

Archived