MicroModule On/Off Red Exclamations!

Looking for some advice as to what to do next in troubleshooting a comm issue with two new devices....

Recently installed my first two Micro Module On/Off units (2443-222) and they work very intermittently but mostly just have a red exclamation marks by them.

They are each installed at the fixture (floodlights) as outlined in the instructional diagram "without switch"...No sense wire is used.

They are both controlled by a three way circuit. (I assume just leaving one on will insure constant power) One switch is an illuminated rocker switch and the

other one is a slide dimmer switch set at full on.

So far I have done factory resets, restore  devices, reboot ISY with no help

I have over one hundred Insteon devices and these are the first Micro Modules I  have used..

In an effort to help communication and reliability last year I

Installed new PLM on dedicated circuit next to main panel

Installed whole house surge suppressor and hardwired phase coupler

I am using Firmware 4.4.6 and UI 4.4.6

I really haven't had any comm issues till now.......

My gut tells me to remove both switches, kill one leg of three way, and install simple rocker switch.

Was looking for any other advice

Thanks! 

The dimmer could be causing your issue. Try replacing that with a switch. Insteon modules should never be put behind a dimmer. 'Full on' is rarely actually full on.

Also, certain loads can cause comm failure when on. Is this an issue when the lights come on only, or does it show up even if the load is off?

It's probably not a great idea to supply the micro module from a switched circuit. Give it full time direct power.

Comm failure is when load is off....Also when supplying power using the non dimmer switch.

Seems like I read something about an illuminated switch causing issues...

Going to get rid of dimmer next.

Thanks

Illuminated standard mechanical switch can cause issues. If it was controlling one of the Sense Inputs.

Your setup sounds strange. One mechanical switch and one a dimmer type. In a multi-way setup.

I would also go for a always on feed or at least. Just one mechanical switch to kill the power to the lights.

In any 3-way configuration with a dimmer, only the dimmer switch powers the load. You cannot power any Insteon device through a dimmer. Describe the wiring at each 3-way switch? Why are you using two Micro Modules? The correct solution involves either one Micro Module or two Insteon SwitchLincs. In any case, a standard dimmer should not be in the circuit at all.

Like I said, I'm removing the dimmer asap.

The reason I'm using two micro modules is that I was wanting to operate each floodlight independently and, less importantly,  there is plenty of room where each fixture is located to place the module. 

You may want to bypass both 3-way switches as there is no On/Off marking or definitive position for power on or off for such switches. If someone inadvertently turns one off, you may wonder why the lights aren't working.

Archived