Echo Dot and line out question

Guitartexan01

I have been frustrated in my choice of avenues for whole house sound systems that cost less than $1-5k.

I have Echo and I have a Bluetooth setup, but not tied together. Bluetooth has the limitation of connecting to only one device at a time.

So here is my question: I have purchased the Dot. I want to know if I can plug into the line out and then SPLIT that line out into two or perhaps three separate signal wires which would go into two or perhaps three Bluetooth transmitters. These transmitters would broadcast to two or perhaps three separate pairs of amplified speakers, but would be sending the same synced music or whatever to ALL the speakers.

In effect I would have a pseudo-Sonos at a much more affordable price point using the speakers of my choice, right?

Thanks for any feedback.

GT

In theory I don't see a problem, but I do anticipate you will have issues with signal attenuation and impedance as you increase the number of devices you connect in parallel. Perhaps someone here can propose a circuit or device to overcome these issues.

Thanks garybixler. I'm going to give this a go and report back. I've got some decent quality in-ceiling speakers I've installed and they sound great. The thing I lack is the ability to tie them all together without wires. There is no way to get wires to two pairs without cutting up my walls, and I don't want to do that until I'm ready to run all the Ethernet and POE cables at once.

I've purchased the Shinybow amp and some cables and I already have the Bluetooth transmitters and receivers, so I will test and let y'all know how it sounds.

GT

Yes, the dongle. They have one that does audio only. It does basically the same thing as Sonos. It allows you to play different audio on each dongle, or you can group dongle together to all play the same thing. If you already have amplifiers or powered speakers it is a great way to get the same functionality as Sonos for $35 each.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The problem with using the dot and BT transmitters is they will all play the same thing and you can't play different music in different zones.

Also, I don't think the echo has very many choices for music sources. Amazon prime music and Pandora only I think?

The problem with using the dot and BT transmitters is they will all play the same thing and you can't play different music in different zones.

Also, I don't think the echo has very many choices for music sources. Amazon prime music and Pandora only I think?

What more do you need?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lol! Easy to please, eh Gary! I'm kind of that way too.

Ok. So I plug a Chromecast into an HDMI audio converter which in turn I plug into my new Shinybox amp. I now have four separate amped feeds or 'zones', correct? But they all have to play the same music, correct? How would I go about having the option to play independent music in the four different zones? I know that could be achieved with desperate Chromecasts and amps, but then how would I synchronize all zones to the same music for a party?

I'm thinking I'm trying to do something far too complex without running wires.

GT

I'm not sure why you would need an HDMI converter. Does your amp not have RCA or optical inputs?

You control what is playing on each zone (chromecast device) with an app on your phone. This is also how you would group them together so they are synchronized.

https://www.google.com/chromecast/audio/explore/?utm_source=en-ha-na-sem&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=audio&gclid=CjwKEAjw7qi7BRCvsr3N58GvsTkSJAA3UzLvpD5tF46AmcsXVnCQf99lflRIMkbwMYkXg8pySE-gaBoCEGTw_wcB

I don't have any of these devices, so I'm only guessing. If I didn't already have a lot of money invested in Sonos I would have some chromecast devices for sure.

I think you can cast music directly from a supported audio app such as Spotify. If you want to group cast devices together I think you have to open the Google Cast app to do that.

I'm not sure if it can be controlled by echo or ISY. Echo probably not. ISY maybe......

I didn't know the Audio Chromecast dongles did this.... Is this documented anywhere?

From the Chromecast Audio web page....

Play music everywhere with Multi-room

Multi-room lets you group Chromecast Audio devices together so you can listen to the same song on multiple speakers.

I don't think you've grasped the concept. The Chromecast plugs into any audio device with a line in jack, such as the amplifier in your living room or the powered speakers by the pool. You don't need any Bluetooth transmitters or the dot.

You use the app on your phone to tell each Chromecast what to play and you also use the app to group Chromecasts together to play the same thing synchronized. Pretty much the same thing Sonos does.

Make sense?

Archived