Suggestion for guest access

paulbates

I'm going to have maintenance done to my sprinkler system and will likely be out of town when it happens. My project is to create a simple web page to turn my 14 sprinkler zones on and off, and serve access to it through the portal. I've shut all port redirection off on my router and don't want a solution that requires back tracking on that.

I've kinda painted myself in the corner with options and the simplest, safest way to proceed

Access / security: 

• I think I should create a separate guest portal account with a separate key for accessing devices. This creates a separate key, so I don't give away the key that allows access to things I've created on my main account. I'll change the password for the guest account after the work is done....(?)

Web page: Create a simple single page with a set of on/off links for each zone. 

• Option 1:  place that page on the ISY and provide a link through the portal (albeit ugly long link) to the contractor, via the guest account, to use from their phone. I've used this method for my sprinkler work in the past. 

• Option 2: host the simple webpage on the internet somewhere at an address that's a little easier to remember. I could make an easier link for the contractor to access. Though that link wouldn't give away the guest key, the zone on/off links would and the page would remain "out there" on the internet.

Any alternatives, other suggestions? I don't want to get in to figuring out apps for contractors phones, and would love to avoid giving them a tablet, etc to use. Web keeps the delivery model simpler, I believe.

Paul 

Archived