PUZZLING IO-LINK problem BRAINS PLEASE

johnstonf

If I read the original post. The thermostat is strictly connected to the Sensor and Ground terminals of the I/OLinc. Through its RC/RH and W terminals. Using its mechanical temperature controlled contacts to turn the Sensor Input On and Off.

I did not see any reference to 24 volts AC but if there is any external voltage getting into the I/OLinc's Sensor Input. It could be damaged.

It has some input protection but probably not able to safely handle 24 volts AC.

I also believe the user just disabled the 3:00 AM Query and called it fixed.

If the relay output is following the Sensor State it had to be set that way as default in follow sensor input is disabled.

Even if not being used. It still had to have been set that way.

Thanks for chiming in here Brian. I was hoping.

My concern is that 24vac control systems are usually common referenced to earth, and the internal circuits of the ioLink may also be. This puts live 24vac into the ioLink and/or may be causing some sensitive sensing jitter or component stress or burn out components.

This would be mostly dependant on the internal coupling inside the ioLink. That is where your knowledge is usually invaluable.

I hope the 'fix' was not to disable the 3 AM Query.  That approach is ignoring the actual problem.

I suspect the 3:00 AM Query was disabled. Band aid fix. Was used. Instead of rewriting the program so the reversed sensor option was not used.

I suspect the 3:00 AM Query was disabled. Band aid fix. Was used. Instead of rewriting the program so the reversed sensor option was not used.

See his screen shot that the Reversed option was not on.

There may have been confusion there and he may have turned it off before the screenshot or possibly the options box did not update as some of mine have done until I clicked query. The symptoms fit the "Trigger Reverse" option nonsense it causes.

I missed the Trigger Reversed not being checked. So my comments on it maybe the issue are not relevant.

I did see it was set from the default to Momentary A, 24 seconds hold time and relay follows input. So some options where changed. Even though the relay is not in use.

Maybe if the actual program was posted. Someone may see a condition that gets modified when a Query is done. Causing the problem.

Now that you jogged my memory. I also remember I/OLincs options not always updating until being refreshed.

Hi folks...

Just to summarize, so far...

There are 2 fixes, one for the "problem" of my fans turning off, the other of the equipment/signalling.

The fix i am referring to is indeed band-aid, of disabling the 3am query.  Worked perfectly last night, and on the bench.

There is no 24v anywhere near the Tstat or IO-Link (Tstat is 2 x AA 1.5v, and relay switch on the Tstat audibly "Clicks")

(but i can certainly see how applying voltage to the sensor input could damage it, if this were so)

I did NOT have the "Trigger Reversed" option set, and have not made any IO-Link changes in past year.

The relay, way back, was probably tested on the bench, but is NOT being used (so settings should be irrelevant, i believe)

A 'manual' QUERY (Running the THEN) also gave the results of IO-Link switching it to OFF, thus turning the switches off.

The programs ARE listed in a previous query.

To reiterate a previous post:

I ran the "then" of the query, and about a minute later, the IO-LINK status went stupid...

and fans turned off.  So, NOW the LED is on BRIGHT on the IO-LINK, but the state is OFF... GO FIGURE!

Thanks for MOST of all your input...   :wink:)

/Fred

Hi folks...

Just to summarize, so far...

There are 2 fixes, one for the "problem" of my fans turning off, the other of the equipment/signalling.

The fix i am referring to is indeed band-aid, of disabling the 3am query.  Worked perfectly last night, and on the bench.

There is no 24v anywhere near the Tstat or IO-Link (Tstat is 2 x AA 1.5v, and relay switch on the Tstat audibly "Clicks")

(but i can certainly see how applying voltage to the sensor input could damage it, if this were so)

I did NOT have the "Trigger Reversed" option set, and have not made any IO-Link changes in past year.

The relay, way back, was probably tested on the bench, but is NOT being used (so settings should be irrelevant, i believe)

A 'manual' QUERY (Running the THEN) also gave the results of IO-Link switching it to OFF, thus turning the switches off.

The programs ARE listed in a previous query.

To reiterate a previous post:

I ran the "then" of the query, and about a minute later, the IO-LINK status went stupid...

and fans turned off.  So, NOW the LED is on BRIGHT on the IO-LINK, but the state is OFF... GO FIGURE!

Thanks for MOST of all your input...   :wink:)

/Fred

Thanks for the update Fred!

Due to the Rh and Rc terminals connected together I assumed you were supplying the stat with 24vac. I had a stat like that way back and if the 24vac wasn't on the batteries would go dead every few months.

The next thing, I would try, is a factory reset on the ioLink and then do an ISY restore on it to recover all the links back into it.

Something is wrong with that ioLink as it acts like the Reverse option is on and this is a classic problem as you describe.

BTW: Was that llama at the end of the street (StoneHouse) named after you? :)  :)

It seems that the thermostat is being used only for its relay contacts (R & W), so there is no voltage present (except the batteries which power the display and programming).

Due to the Rh and Rc terminals connected together I assumed you were supplying the stat with 24vac. I had a stat like that way back and if the 24vac wasn't on the batteries would go dead every few months.

The next thing, I would try, is a factory reset on the ioLink and then do an ISY restore on it to recover all the links back into it.

Something is wrong with that ioLink as it acts like the Reverse option is on and this is a classic problem as you describe.

BTW: Was that llama at the end of the street (StoneHouse) named after you? :)  :)

HUH? LOL... over my head, but with with the odds of us meeting here, and living so freakin (scary) close, i may stay awake thinking about the possibilities...

It seems that the thermostat is being used only for its relay contacts (R & W), so there is no voltage present (except the batteries which power the display and programming).

That is correct stusviews...

The batteries last for a few years (somehow), and only run the display, programming, AND the relay (which i imagine consumes MOST of the power).

/f

HUH? LOL... over my head, but with with the odds of us meeting here, and living so freakin (scary) close, i may stay awake thinking about the possibilities...

Thanks Larry for the suggestion... i'll try that at some point when i get a chance, and report back...

Thanks AGAIN Larry...

I did the factory reset and ISY restore on the IO-Linc and... as you suspected, the logic somehow reverted, and thus reversed (I THEN had to change the logic from IF OFF (DISABLED) turn fan switches OFF, to IF OFF (DISABLED) turn fan switches ON).  (IO-Linc is "OFF" when Tstat is OPEN (Not calling for heat (thus window fans are ON (For "Cooling")... gets a bit complicated using the Tstat in reverse, but I still think it's better than using the Cooling mode of the Tstat... just need to think everything in REVERSE lol))

I forced the run of the QUERY, and it SURVIVED it... YAY!

So I **think** I'm gold now... thanks AGAIN to Larry!

Fred

===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====

BRDR-FanOff - [iD 0059][Parent 0001]

If

Status  'ZZZ1-DO-NOT-USE / IO-LINCS / IO-LINC-BR-Sensor' is On

Then

Set 'DIMMERS+SWITCHES / SW-DR-WindowFan' Fast Off

Set 'DIMMERS+SWITCHES / SW-BedRm-Fan+HTR' Fast Off

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

BRDR-FanOn - [iD 0058][Parent 0001]

If

Status  'ZZZ1-DO-NOT-USE / IO-LINCS / IO-LINC-BR-Sensor' is Off

Then

Set 'DIMMERS+SWITCHES / SW-DR-WindowFan' Fast On

Set 'DIMMERS+SWITCHES / SW-BedRm-Fan+HTR' Fast On

Else

Thanks AGAIN Larry...

I did the factory reset and ISY restore on the IO-Linc and... as you suspected, the logic somehow reverted, and thus reversed (I THEN had to change the logic from IF OFF (DISABLED) turn fan switches OFF, to IF OFF (DISABLED) turn fan switches ON). (IO-Linc is "OFF" when Tstat is OPEN (Not calling for heat (thus window fans are ON (For "Cooling")... gets a bit complicated using the Tstat in reverse, but I still think it's better than using the Cooling mode of the Tstat... just need to think everything in REVERSE lol))

I forced the run of the QUERY, and it SURVIVED it... YAY!

So I **think** I'm gold now... thanks AGAIN to Larry!

Fred

BRDR-FanOff - [iD 0059][Parent 0001]

If

Status 'ZZZ1-DO-NOT-USE / IO-LINCS / IO-LINC-BR-Sensor' is On

Then

Set 'DIMMERS+SWITCHES / SW-DR-WindowFan' Fast Off

Set 'DIMMERS+SWITCHES / SW-BedRm-Fan+HTR' Fast Off

Else

BRDR-FanOn - [iD 0058][Parent 0001]

If

Status 'ZZZ1-DO-NOT-USE / IO-LINCS / IO-LINC-BR-Sensor' is Off

Then

Set 'DIMMERS+SWITCHES / SW-DR-WindowFan' Fast On

Set 'DIMMERS+SWITCHES / SW-BedRm-Fan+HTR' Fast On

Else

Nice!

Sitting here in Haliburton with a net over my head getting eaten alive by mosquitos by the campfire.

Archived