Communication Issues

Hello everybody, I am currently experiencing some issues. I have a 994i, when I log into the java on my laptop to control my lights its telling me that some of the devices cannot communicate. I upgraded to the latest firmware with the same results. The funny thing is that I can still control the lights from the java panel. It doesn't show the lights on but they still turn on and off. I have an exclamation mark beside the light that it cannot communicate with but it will still turn on and off.  I have tried to unplug a few things to see if there is any interference from anything but makes no difference.It does the same thing from my phone app also, the light will turn on but it will not show that it is on in the app.For that I am using EK ISY. Has anybody seen this before? Nothing has changed and they used to all work flawlessly. It has me confused. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

OK, so I tried that. When I hit restore device it comes up with the warning and I agree, but then nothing happens. I then hit write updates and it does that but no change in functionality. Am I doing something wrong.

When you select Restore Device something does happen. Look at the bottom left of the screen, you should see System Busy. If it's quick, the the ISY and device records match. Did Write Updates cause a bar to fill in )repeatedly) across the screen? Is there still a ! next to the device?

Pull out the set button until it clicks in place, wait 10 or more sec and gently push the set button back in. Do not push the set button all the way in, only til it snaps back in place.

Light switch.

If you didn't download the full users manuals for your modules. They show how to do things like soft reset, factory reset, communications test  and some settings that can be changed with set button sequences. Though the ISSY994i can set most options with out the set button sequences..

There should be a link on the modules sales page.

Also can be found here:

http://www.insteon.com/support#documentation

Right click and select Restore Device, when that completes select Write Updates to Device.

That may work for most 2 way devices, but what about my old 2440 6 button RemoteLinc and a 2420 MD? I replaced batteries in these and can't get rid of the 1011 next to the devices, even if I put the devices in linking mode. Devices seem to work otherwise.

As I understand it, those devices are only capable of sending a status update, and ISY remembers the last update.  If that is the case, why do I even see a "1011" if that is not possible?

Is the fix to delete the device, then re-link them?

OK, so a little bit more info that I have acquired. There are 2 units (a dimmable switch and a single controllable outlet) that I cannot seem to control. They are on the same circuit. The power goes to the switch first and then to the outlet. Could this be a wiring issue. I have reset the outlet and now cannot get it to link again. It keeps telling me "cannot find insteon engine". The switch will not work at all now also.

What have I done wrong?

All other units are currently working flawlessly.

The power goes to the switch first and then to the outlet. .... The switch will not work at all now also.

Sounds like a wiring issue.  Do the LEDs on the switch light up?  If so, what does the lead (red) wire connect to?  Is this switch replacing a 2-way switch & involve traveler wires?  Do you have a voltage meter?  If either unit is powered up, you should be able to link them, OR you have communication issues to resolve.

That may work for most 2 way devices, but what about my old 2440 6 button RemoteLinc and a 2420 MD? I replaced batteries in these and can't get rid of the 1011 next to the devices, even if I put the devices in linking mode. Devices seem to work otherwise.

As I understand it, those devices are only capable of sending a status update, and ISY remembers the last update.  If that is the case, why do I even see a "1011" if that is not possible?

Is the fix to delete the device, then re-link them?

That's a known problem with some 2440 RemoteLincs. A solution is to place the 2440 into linking mode distant from the ISY/PLM but not far from a dual-band device. In some cases, the 2440 needed to be 30', 40' or more from the ISY/PLM. The 2420 may need to be close to the PLM.

OK, so a little bit more info that I have acquired. There are 2 units (a dimmable switch and a single controllable outlet) that I cannot seem to control. They are on the same circuit. The power goes to the switch first and then to the outlet. Could this be a wiring issue. I have reset the outlet and now cannot get it to link again. It keeps telling me "cannot find insteon engine". The switch will not work at all now also.

What have I done wrong?

All other units are currently working flawlessly.

That seems to be a communication issue, not the wiring. What else is on the same circuit as the Insteoon devices. What else is on the same circuit as the ISY and PLM?

The outlet is a 2473, and the switch a 2477. They both work when not linked and turn on and off the lights and outlet. I finally got the outlet to link but it again says cannot communicate. I can however turn the outlet oin and off but it doesn't show up in the java panel on my computer. It keeps saying its off even though its on.

Hi..i am a new user here. I have few queries that when you select Restore Device something does happen. Look at the bottom left of the screen, you should see System Busy. If it's quick, the the ISY and device records match. Did Write Updates cause a bar to fill in across the screen? Is there still a ! next to the device?

surface mount assembly

• 1 year later...

SYSTEM BUSY!

What are the conditions that cause the 4.6.X system to become and stay busy for more than say 15 seconds or so then clear?

I get occasionally System Busy for what seems to be 15 to 20 seconds when communicating with Mobilinc on the first incoming unsolicited messages that will hang up the system until busy clears. The only system action schedule to be taken by this message is to set a flag and no other ISY action was schedule to be taken as the result of the flag being set. However; After the first message and busy delay expires the Mobilinc commutations appear to be normal for the remainder of the event.   I am still investigating this problem and trying make it repeatable.

Is it true? Notifications sent via Email or Text by the ISY are sometimes lost when the Email provider fails to pick the message the first time the notification is issued. The ISY system not having an automatic system retry (or Does it?) leaves me to want to test the error log in real time so I can retry the notification myself if the notification failed.

Any Thoughts?

Archived