Home/Away Geofencing via portal

jtara92101

Yet to find an effective way to do this.

Tried to follow the Wiki to use Locative, but the instructions are vague. I set-up IFTTT -> IFTTT/Maker then IFTTT/Maker -> Portal, but useless, because IFTTT is too slow.

What am I missing here? Is there some way to go directly from Locative to portal?

Is "IFTTT integration" in Portal a lie, and really it's "anything integration"? Can I just use the URL you get from the portal with any service that can send a post?

Just looking for some solution that won't turn the lights on a few minutes after I get home! (which is useless).

I don't use Locative (I'm an Android user), but I believe it can call any url. As such, get the IFTTT URL (the one you normally plug into the Maker channel to trigger the action) and plumb that directly into Locative. It should work.

Hopefully, Locative supports a POST though, as that's required I believe.

Michael.

I don't use Locative (I'm an Android user), but I believe it can call any url. As such, get the IFTTT URL (the one you normally plug into the Maker channel to trigger the action) and plumb that directly into Locative. It should work.

Hopefully, Locative supports a POST though, as that's required I believe.

Will give that a go tomorrow.

Yes, Locative supports POST. Only!

Yes, I was able to use the "IFTTT" URL directly from Locative.

So, "IFTTT URL" is really a misnomer. The ISY simply accepts a POST with the required key. It doesn't matter if it comes from IFTTT or not. It's quite confusing the way the documentation is currently written!

The final word on using Nest to determine home/away: it's impractical. Too bad, since Nest does a great job of home/away without false triggers.  Assume it's Google "AI" technology, and they have LOTS of data to train on!

- IFTTT delay makes it impractical for turning lights on/inefficient for turning them off. At least heat/AC would be OK, since Nest deals with that directly.

- Nest doesn't do home/away if Nest is "Off". I turn Off if the windows are open (duh!) and in fact just got Insteon window open/close sensors for just that purpose! e.g. if any window is open, set Nest to Off.

Locative gives false signals if I am around the neighborhood, especially on-foot. I suppose I should get an iBeacon, as I think it will use it. But should be able to look for my WiFi?

Other suggestions for home/away apps for iPhone?

Locative is open-source, I guess I could fix it! (I'm an app developer...)

Archived