Strange behavior on two dimmers: Lights flash to 100% when dimmed

Actually, the outlet testers do more than a meter. They work on the same principle as a GFCI outlet, but they're considerably less costly because the don't need to take any action in the event of an unbalance between the neutral and ground.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry.  I meant to follow up on this a long time ago.  The socket tester did not show any issues with the socket.  So I'm going to try the following:

1) Different bulbs... This would be odd to me becasue I have many of the same bulbs controlled by insteon dimmers elsewhere in the house with no issue.

2) Switch out the keypad.  I did did this in one location with no luck.  I will also try the other location.

3) One thought I had was buying a 2 wire dimmer.  Those communicate wirelessly only correct?   Is it possible that id line noise is causing an issue that that may solve it?

Lastly, I spoke with an insteon support person who told me I need to find out if the bulbs are "Leading Edge Electronic Triac Dimmable"... that's a mouthful.  It's also not something I see on the specsheet.  Incidentally, here is the bulb I use:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/153633/GREENCREATIVE-16131.html?utm_source=SmartFeedGoogleBase&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=GREENCREATIVE-16131&utm_content=LED+-+PAR30+-+Flood+-+75W+Equal+-+2700K&utm_campaign=SmartFeedGoogleBaseShopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_qW9BRCcv-Xc5Jn-26gBEiQAM-iJhYA-pMWU2qfH2voyu8XjwKkHv6xozvb3Ta8tUsSYjtgaAuJS8P8HAQ

3. The 2-wire dimmers is both power line and RF. The 2-wire dimmer also depends on current flowing the filament of an incandescent or halogen bulb (on or off) for power. LED bulbs do no provide that path.

3. The 2-wire dimmers is both power line and RF. The 2-wire dimmer also depends on current flowing the filament of an incandescent or halogen bulb (on or off) for power. LED bulbs do no provide that path.

Man, the folks at insteon support seem to know a fraction of what you do.  That was his idea!

Ok.  Scratch that.

Solved!

I finally had time this last weekend to try a bunch of things and long story story short, the culprit was the 6 button dimmers.  I hadn't tried swapping them with regular dimmers in large part becasue the support folks at insteon told me the dimming mechanism was identical.  So it should have no effect.

However in both loads where the flashing was occurring, changing out the 6 button keypads for regular insteon dimmers did the trick.

Archived