Push Notifications Recommendations?

johnmsch

Wow been a long time user and never dug in that deep. I get a ton of notifications and some of these things would be cool to add. Thanks for adding to my "to do list" guys!

Edit: I did know about the sounds and priorities just never thought to use them in that way. Also @Paul like the use of the ISY icon, I'm going to copy you if you don't mind.

Thanks Paul/Michael.  I was aware of the Wiki page with all the built-in variables that can be used, but as you can see from my example scenario in post #20, that's not what I was looking for.

Is there somewhere I can promote the idea of string variables in the ISY to the folks at UD?  I would really love to see that feature!

Thanks Paul/Michael.  I was aware of the Wiki page with all the built-in variables that can be used, but as you can see from my example scenario in post #20, that's not what I was looking for.

Is there somewhere I can promote the idea of string variables in the ISY to the folks at UD?  I would really love to see that feature!

I would like to see more strings too as well as for the ELK Module.

It was suggested a while back to implement something like this in the variable substitution for notifications and Network Resources:

subText(${var.2.13},"one","two","three","four","five","six","seven",......,"twenty two")

Since the ISY core engine can't and proabably never will handle string processing the next best thing would be to substitute text for the human to read upon output only.

I think UDI liked it, but some confusion taking it further into 0-15 = "Low", 16-37 = "Medium", 38-99 = "High" and other greedy advancement thoughts got in the way of any commitment from UDI.

I know it will be considered for V6. :)

I believe Paulbates (above) has pointed to the same wiki page I would have pointed to.

The ISY does not support string variables - so that's not possible. I do know it's on a wish list - but no timeline yet...  if it's even ever accepted.

The best you can do is a separate resource for each device you wish to notify...   Set the message to 'Outhouse light is ${sys.node.11 22 AA 1.ST}' (change '11 22 AA 1' for the address of the load device). At runtime, the ${..} will be substituted for the formatted value ("on" or "off"). Caution though - if it's a dimmer it will try sending something like 80% if not full on or off - and the % will cause an error. You cannot do 'URL Encoding' to fix this either ('Encode URL' will prevent the substitution occurring because it encodes at save time - modifying the substitution string). If it's a dimmer, consider 'Outhouse light is ${sys.node.11 22 AA 1.raw}' and you will get a value from 0 to 255 instead - and no characters needing encoding. I've already raised a feature request to defer URL encoding to runtime (rather than rule save time) - but that's also still pending.

Michael.

The tactic that I used for notifying me of specific alarm zone violations was to have a separate program for each with a useful name and then to use ${sys.program.#.name} in the subject and content.  That gives me a separate text notification for each zone without the need for a bunch of network resources.

I note that {sys.program.#.name} isn't listed at that link, and I'm actually using it in an email to Pushover, but it seems like it would work in a network resource, too.

Rob

I note that {sys.program.#.name} isn't listed at that link, and I'm actually using it in an email to Pushover, but it seems like it would work in a network resource, too.

Are you *certain* that # works in a network resource?? If so, which firmware version are you running? This would be news to me... :)

It's well known for email substitutions (which get substituted in a blocking way when sent). Network substitutions are non-blocking - so # (to represent the triggering device) is not available in the network resource context.

UDI has said that they *may* in the future be able to give us a checkbox to allow network calls to be optionally blocking, to allow this to work....

Personally, I'd settle for being able to use # in the 'Then' and 'Else' branches, and string variables...

Oops, perhaps that's why I had it set up as an email instead of a network resource :). It was a while back and I couldn't remember why I had to do it that way, only that it was the only easy way to do a arbitrary text substitution that I could find. Sorry for the misinformation.

Oops, perhaps that's why I had it set up as an email instead of a network resource :). It was a while back and I couldn't remember why I had to do it that way, only that it was the only easy way to do a arbitrary text substitution that I could find. Sorry for the misinformation.

Ha! I wasnt wrong after all! If email it's probably the security changes we have been talking about.

Been using Pushover for about a week now, and its working fine, except for (what I consider) to be a big flaw.

When I get a push notification to my iPhone, I can then go to the Notification Center (swipe down from most any screen) and see it in reverse chronological order with all the other notifications from other apps.  However, if you open up the Pushover app, it then erases all it's notifications from the Notification Center!  I posted this compliant on their support forum (https://www.reddit.com/r/pushover/comments/4yjadz/ios_notifications_disappear/?sort=old). Someone who appears to be a developer for Pushover said this is intentional.  BTW, never seen any company use reddit as a support forum.  According to him, this is by design.  I just can't understand what their reasoning is behind that decision. 

Is it just me, or does anyone else using Pushover find this annoying?  The whole purpose of the Notification Center is to keep a few days worth of history of notifications.  Why would any app purposely remove them?

:x

Been using Pushover for about a week now, and its working fine, except for (what I consider) to be a big flaw.

When I get a push notification to my iPhone, I can then go to the Notification Center (swipe down from most any screen) and see it in reverse chronological order with all the other notifications from other apps. However, if you open up the Pushover app, it then erases all it's notifications from the Notification Center! I posted this compliant on their support forum (https://www.reddit.com/r/pushover/comments/4yjadz/ios_notifications_disappear/?sort=old). Someone who appears to be a developer for Pushover said this is intentional. BTW, never seen any company use reddit as a support forum. According to him, this is by design. I just can't understand what their reasoning is behind that decision.

Is it just me, or does anyone else using Pushover find this annoying? The whole purpose of the Notification Center is to keep a few days worth of history of notifications. Why would any app purposely remove them?

:x

I can not reproduce this. I am using iOS 9.3.4 with the current Pushover app. I went into the app and ALL my push notifications are there and go back to Aug 1st. Theres a setting inside the PO app to keep "Max Messages" to (500 max) and thats how many it shows broken down by app.

Why does it matter if its in the app or notification settings as long as you see them? Is 500 not enough? Today is the 21st so I have about 21 days to go back to. Sure its not logged indefinitely.

A workaround maybe to use IFTTT or email client to keep notifications logged forever if thats what your after. Thoughts?

He's saying that they disappear from the iOS notification page when you open the app, and he'd prefer that they stayed there. It doesn't bother me (I just open the app to see historical messages), but I also clean out the iOS notification page on a regular basis. Notifications usually disappear when you read them in the originating app (like email), so I think it's consistent behavior.

He's saying that they disappear from the iOS notification page when you open the app, and he'd prefer that they stayed there. It doesn't bother me (I just open the app to see historical messages), but I also clean out the iOS notification page on a regular basis. Notifications usually disappear when you read them in the originating app (like email), so I think it's consistent behavior.

Your right I need to learn how to read.

Like you I clear mine out frequently and go to the app if needed. Its not a "big flaw" to me.

John

I'm personally ok with that. I keep the app open, and have unique sounds for key alerts and prefer for the notifications to tell me about new events.

Paul

Hey Paul,

I'm not following what you're saying.  I too have unique sounds for certain notifications and get new events normally.  Don't see what that has to do with the iOS notification center.

Just wondering what you guys mean by clearing out the notifications in the Notification Center.  At least on my iPhone 6s, it only keeps the past 7 days worth of notifications.  Anything older than that is automatically purged.

Also, and please understand I'm not intentionally being dense here, but I don't understand the statement "Notifications usually disappear when you read them in the originating app (like email)".  I'm not aware of any other apps that perform that way, especially email.  Are you referring to the email client on the iPhone?  If so, my emails do not disappear once they are flagged as having been read.

Just to provide a screenshot and explanation of what I'm talking about:

Notification%20Center.jpg

Keeping all notifications in the Notification Center is especially important to me when I'm messing around with ISY programs/settings/devices.  I like to be able to see the sequence of events as they happen. Whenever I make any changes in the ISY, I like having this log (even though its in reverse-chronological order) of things that are/were happening just to be sure I have everything setup the way I want.

I really appreciate all the replies.  I guess it just comes down to a personal preference, but as I said before, none of the other notifications I get (in this case, specifically the Arlo and MobiLinc)  are deleted from the Notification Center.  I'm really struggling to understand why only Pushover would do that.

Hey Paul,

I'm not following what you're saying.  I too have unique sounds for certain notifications and get new events normally.  Don't see what that has to do with the iOS notification center.

Hi John,

I get what you are describing, I personally don't miss it in the notification section.

There are times am tweaking a new programs and there can be a ton of messages that would flood my iphone notification area, which I typically use for higher level things like meetings, sever weather, travel notifications, etc.  If something needs my immediate attention there is a specific sound for it, otherwise I use the app and can look under the appropriate pushover app.

This certainly could be requested as a feature in the app to turn on and off.  

Paul

Just wondering what you guys mean by clearing out the notifications in the Notification Center.  At least on my iPhone 6s, it only keeps the past 7 days worth of notifications.  Anything older than that is automatically purged.

If you hit the circled "x" in your screenshot, it clears the notifications for that particular day. I like to use the notification center for notifications that I haven't read yet, so I regularly clear it out.

Notification%20Center.jpg

Also, and please understand I'm not intentionally being dense here, but I don't understand the statement "Notifications usually disappear when you read them in the originating app (like email)".  I'm not aware of any other apps that perform that way, especially email.  Are you referring to the email client on the iPhone?  If so, my emails do not disappear once they are flagged as having been read.

That's curious, because the way I described it is exactly as it works on my phone. I just had an unread email in the notification center, I went to the iOS mail app and read it, and it was gone from the notification center when I reopened it. I honestly think the intention of the iOS notification center is to keep track of things that you haven't yet attended to.

Ah, ok, I see what you're saying.  I just never saw the need to do any purging in the NC, since the latest stuff is always at the top and it auto purges after 7 days.

I did file a support request with Pushover to ask that they at least give us the option to keep notifications in the NC.

Archived