ISY and Phillips Hue Integration Step-By-Step (For dummies...like me)

DualBandAid

starmanj ....

I had the same issue and it took me a little while to find the solution.

When you use the debug page, take a look at the URL.  Mine originally, by default, showed  "/api/1234"

Just make sure that the URL only contains:  "/api"

Press the hub button and get your results.

Since you both had the same issue, I want to update the instructions to clarify this point.  But, not really fully having my brain around it all, I am unsure exactly what went wrong where.  Can you highlight the passage of my instructions where things went south - as well as what words would have been helpful to clarify?  There are a lot of places where I invoke "/api" so I'm just not sure which ones you guess are talking about

UPDATE: I think I got it - can you verify this is what you were talking about?  The existing instructions said this:

a) Open your web-browser

b ) Enter this URL...

http://MY-HUE-IP-ADDRESS/debug/clip.html

(this is the IP address you got in Task 1)

c) In the “body” section, enter this entire statement: {"devicetype":"my_hue_app#iphone peter"} -- brackets and all

d) Press the physical button on top of your Hue Bridge (requiring physical interaction is a security feature)

e) Press the “post” button on the debugger in your browser

f) Copy down the username that appears - save it someplace

But I will update them to say this:

a) Open your web-browser

b ) Enter this URL into your web-browser...

http://MY-HUE-IP-ADDRESS/debug/clip.html

(this is the IP address you got in Task 1)

c) In the "URL" section of the debugger (not the browser), make sure it says ONLY /api (the default will be /api/1234 - and you don't need the /1234)

d) In the “body” section, enter this entire statement: {"devicetype":"my_hue_app#iphone peter"} -- brackets and all

e) Press the physical button on top of your Hue Bridge (requiring physical interaction is a security feature)

f) Press the “post” button on the debugger in your browser

g) Copy down the username that appears - save it someplace

Edited by DualBandAid

DualBandAid

I just wanted to say thanks for the time you took to write this up.  I have been interested in using some color in my lighting, and the hue strips seem to catch my eye, but I am not interested in anything that cannot be controlled by my ISY-994..  I cannot imagine how long it would have taken me to figure this out, and would not even have tried by myself.  But...your instructions gave me enough hope that this would not have been the equivalent of a masters thesis for me that I gave it a shot.  Now, I have some hue strip lighting that is triggered by my -994 and I am happy!

I doubt that I will use hue for anything but a few color shots, so I will stay with the network resource.  Polyglot is too funny a name for me to have to explain to others how it all works, so I will stay away from that for now.

• Like 1

Thank you oberkc.  Did you have any hiccups in the instructions?  Anything that could have been clearer?

I fell prey, also, to the /1234 issue.  When I read that, I took it as "optional" whether or not one left it in.  For me, it was not optional.

For me, also, running the "test" from the network resources did not actually result in the hue lights turning on or off (which I expected to happen).  It was not until I actually put them into a program did they work.  It took me a little while to discover this.  When the "test" did not turn on the lights, I assumed it was some error in the resource, so I continued to look for errors, and re-ran some of the debugging steps instead.  When those did not solve the problem, only then did I take the next steps of creating the program and discovered the resource was, in fact, fine (lights turned on!).  Perhaps that could be clarified as to what to expect, or not to expect, from running the test step from the network resources page. 

Otherwise, all worked as well-described in the original post.

Did you ever figure out why the Test button wouldn't work?

All my tests work with my Hue NRs. I wouldn't think programs would work if the test didn't????

Never figured it out. When I added my second hue light, the test worked fine, as expected. I have no explanation regarding the first attempt, other than incompetence of some sort on my part.

When you say "wouldn't work" do you mean you would push the test button and nothing would happen? Or that the test button was grayed out and you couldn't push it at all?

"Test" button was NOT grayed out. Pressing it, I originally thought, did not produce any change to the hue device. But, second time a charm. Subsequent devices work just fine from the test button. It is possible that the first now works, but I have not gone back to check. At this point, I would consider the instructions fine as is.

"Test" button was NOT grayed out. Pressing it, I originally thought, did not produce any change to the hue device. But, second time a charm. Subsequent devices work just fine from the test button. It is possible that the first now works, but I have not gone back to check. At this point, I would consider the instructions fine as is.

As silly as it sounds...

I got caught a few times like that. You always have to hit the save after opening any NR for examination or editing, or the Test button doesn't work.

Edited by larryllix

As silly as it sounds...

I got caught a few times like that. You always have to hit the save after opening any NR for examination or editing, or the Test button doesn't work.

Yes, that I noticed, and saw those notes in the initial post. It was NOT a problem with grayed-out test button. In fact, the test appeared to work (as indicated by a little pop-up box yielding some results), but the hue light did not respond initially.

Hi DualBandAid,

Yes, your changes to the instructions in regards to the debug screen for the URL to reflect "/api"  is correct.  This was the only way that I could make it work.

In addition, I really got caught up with the expression to call up a scene from your instructions.  You state putting in the following in the body:  {"on": true, "scene": YOUR-SCENE-NAME”}

For me, this didn't work and kept giving me errors, not even triggering a scene.  I ended up searching the web and someone stated the the "on" statement is not required when calling scenes.  So my only expression in the body to call a scene is:  {"scene": YOUR-SCENE-NAME”}  and that works perfectly.  Just wanted to bring this up in case others had issue.  Except for that .. your tutorial in invaluable.  I had tried before without any success, now it works perfectly.  Thanks for your efforts

• 3 months later...

Great resource! Thanks for putting it together.

Didn't see a way to enable "Color Loop" or other specialty type modes?

Can this be done by a Scene?

New to Hue so any input would be appreciated - Thanks!

From above post:

"Effects work similarly, in that it also gets passed as a json object, accepting none and colorloop as arguments. For example, {"effect" : "colorloop"} will start the bulb running through all the colors. Use a transition_time argument here to speed up or slow down the process. Replace "effect" with "alert", and "colorloop" with "select", and the light will blink in its current state."

• Like 1

From above post:

"Effects work similarly, in that it also gets passed as a json object, accepting none and colorloop as arguments. For example, {"effect" : "colorloop"} will start the bulb running through all the colors. Use a transition_time argument here to speed up or slow down the process. Replace "effect" with "alert", and "colorloop" with "select", and the light will blink in its current state."

Awesome! Where did you find those API parameters?

I searched for them originally and never could find a list anywhere.

• Like 1

What's the best way to write a status script for these? I already have a Python engine (EventGhost) and, what I'd like to do is use the EG Hue plugin to tell me a light has been triggered, then get the true status like you would by querying a light in the Insteon with REST.

So, basically, my question boils down to: What is the best way to query a hue light status with their API?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't buy the network module. Purchase the ISY Portal. It is the same price, and includes the Network Module as well as other modules you will probably be needing

ISY Portal

Remotely connect through ISY portal. No port forwarding necessary. This is a subscription for 2 years and includes:

Amazon Echo Integration
IFTTT
Network Module

• 4 months later...