ISY and Phillips Hue Integration Step-By-Step (For dummies...like me)

DualBandAid

I am following your instructions and get the message: HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pr

can i get a little help with what this means ? I am getting no response from the hue light.

I don't know where you are seeing this response but it is a standard ACK = acknowledgement.

Code 200 = OK. This means the intiator sent a packete of information and the reception end sent back an acknowledgement. = everything understood.

Its in the resource area after you press test.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Then whatever hardware you are sending to is confirming that the packet was intact and formatted correctly, and probably understood. I assume this is the Hue Hub.
Here are some of my resources I am using. You will need to copy the protocol things exactly. I use variable substitution so that one NR can do many similar functions so that only a few resources are needed. I don't share between bulbs until UDI changes the way the caching of NR commands is done. Right now if you change variables right after the call the last call may use the new values.

Note the bulbs need to be turned on as in the text box.
I use three NR for each bulb = On, Off, and Set. Set requires variables to be set up first, while On and  Off only require the NR call.

post-4697-0-21776700-1451062143_thumb.jpg
post-4697-0-59952100-1451062132_thumb.jpg
post-4697-0-59592800-1468777921_thumb.jpg

Edited by larryllix

thank you so much for your help! one thing tho in the path field it says user name. is that the long string of numbers and letters or the user name i use to log in to my hue?

Been a long time, and I am not sure exactly sure what you are asking but, "ISY994user" is the user name in the Hue Hub that I set it  up with.

Edited by larryllix

When I compare my hue resources to Larryllix' screenshots, I see a long string of characters (that hold no meaning for me) in place of "ISY994use".

You must have put them there. :)

Must be the default name of your hub and you "just got it going" and now it is later.

Edited by larryllix

"You must have put them there."

It has been long enough ago that I would have to refresh my memory of the details, but I assume it is the login credentials for the hue hub, or something like that. Once it worked, I stopped caring.

yes i did . just confused about whether to put my hue login id or the hue id generated by the debugger. i reread and got my answer in larryllixs instructions.

still cant get it to make my light come on. Ill keep trying.

Yes. Double check everything. Missing commas, extra spaces. Computers are not tolerant of anything outside of the expected.

Off the top of my head, are you sure you are saving TWICE?  It's an easy step to miss.  Also, along those lines, are you 100% sure you are following all the instructions?  Finally, I would suggest rebooting everything.  That cleared up a problem for me.

Also this...

just confused about whether to put my hue login id or the hue id generated by the debugger. i reread and got my answer in larryllixs instructions.

Just so you know, if you are referring to an online Hue login ID, I have never signed up for that...so that ID, or anything about it, wouldn't factor into my instructions.

When I compare my hue resources to Larryllix' screenshots, I see a long string of characters (that hold no meaning for me) in place of "ISY994use".

This has all been a while since I wrote those instructions but vaguely, I betcha it's this: at one point, it seems you could specify your own Hue ID.  And make it sensical.  By the time I came along, you had to go with the default Hue ID...which was a long string of characters with no meaning.

Off the top of my head, are you sure you are saving TWICE? It's an easy step to miss. Also, along those lines, are you 100% sure you are following all the instructions? Finally, I would suggest rebooting everything. That cleared up a problem for me.

Also this...

Just so you know, if you are referring to an online Hue login ID, I have never signed up for that...so that ID, or anything about it, wouldn't factor into my instructions.

IIRC as with most of these peripheral devices you have to set up security, at least a user or device name before any other device can talk to it.

If a 200 code is being returned then it is accepting the protocol header, anyway, but the problem is more likely that no ON code is being sent so the bulb will never light up.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Edited by larryllix

Is the only way to add pictures being via URL?  Can one not simply past a jpg-type file directly? 

I would past a couple of shots of my resources, but am not feeling overly ambitious enough to load them to some file sharing site.

Is the only way to add pictures being via URL?  Can one not simply past a jpg-type file directly? 

I would past a couple of shots of my resources, but am not feeling overly ambitious enough to load them to some file sharing site.

The "More Reply Options" adavnced posting editor has an upload mechanism for pictures. There is a size limit though. I use 10 Mpixel photos reduced by 25% each axis in .jpg format and they seem to be fine but the originals get rejected.

Once you upload a picture it is in your media library available in the usual editor.

The "More Reply Options" adavnced posting editor has an upload mechanism for pictures. There is a size limit though. I use 10 Mpixel photos reduced by 25% each axis in .jpg format and they seem to be fine but the originals get rejected.

Once you upload a picture it is in your media library available in the usual editor.

Well.  OK, then... here is my network resource to turn ON a hue light. 

post-533-0-05748900-1495071670_thumb.jpg

Well.  OK, then... here is my network resource to turn ON a hue light. 

Yeah. That string of confused numbers must be the account or username inside the Hue Hub. I followed somebody's instructions here and the example, to get it going, was to use ISY994user, so I did that.   Since it worked I had no reason to ever go back and edit it.

I have a hard enough time  remembering stuff when I can't cut'n paste text.  :)

As I go back and re-look at all this hue stuff I am reminded, too, that it would be valuable to assign one's hue hub with a static address.  (I assume most would do this through the router.)  The static address would help ensure things keep working after power failures or other reboots.

• Like 1

As I go back and re-look at all this hue stuff I am reminded, too, that it would be valuable to assign one's hue hub with a static address. (I assume most would do this through the router.) The static address would help ensure things keep working after power failures or other reboots.

Everything with an API, or that I plan to send or receive data to/from, or that I plan to monitor gets a static IP here.
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Question for anyone reading this. Anyone have experience with a SmartThings hub? Is that something that is another solution to Hue/ISY integration?

DualBandAid,

I read your first descriptive post but not the next 60+ replies. I assume the first post from a year ago still gives the best starting point for new Hue Hub integration? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by TrojanHorse

I assume the first post from a year ago still gives the best starting point for new Hue Hub integration?

Well, I don't know, hence my question.  :)  A year ago, that seemed the best way.  But there is this new product out there that I'm not familiar with that possibly might be a better way...and I thought maybe someone on this thread might have enough familiarity with it to weigh in.  :)