Elk water shutoff valve and Insteon I/O linc

peterlandis

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  Ideally everything would be controlled via the Elk.  Unfortunately I didn't run wire to any place in my house that would need a water sensor so I'm left with wireless water sensors as my only option.  I figure that's better than no sensors at all.  

So, I've been reading through this thread a few times and I think I understand how to connect the Greenfield valve up to an I/O linc.  But if I wanted to hook it up to the Elk instead how would that look?  Right now my Elk has a M1XIN (16 zone input expander, completely used), M1RB relay board (using 2 outputs to control garage doors) and a data buss hub for my 3 keypads.  Oh, and of course the Ethernet module as well.  I think I will be able to run new wire from the Elk to the location of the valve without too much hassle.  

-Brian

You use one of your open relays and connect 3 wires.  NO, common, NC.  The NC and NO can connect either way, you just write your Elk program (or ISY program) to accommodate what you wrote.  In other words, you either turn the Elk output on to open the valve, or you turn it on to close the valve.  As a fail safe measure, you might go with turning the output on to open the valve.  In this way, if the relay dies, it probably will fail such that the valve closes.

The elk has a 4th wire that is a signal wire that is optional.  This powers on when the valve is, I think, open.  You can connect that to a zone (but you don't have any).  Some of the keypads have a zone on them, so you could theoretically open up a zone on your panel by switching something over to a keypad.

• 4 weeks later...

I would have thought that the valve function is when you connect just a power supply directly to the valve by connecting the +12V to the white wire and the -12V to the black wire the valve would open. And if you connected the +12V to the red wire and the -12V to the black valve wire it would close the valve.

Based on that logic I would have thought the valve functionality connected to an Insteon I/O would work as follows:

-the White valve wire opens the valve connecting to the N/C

-the Red valve wire closes the valve connects to the N/O.

-The Power supply +12V would connect to the Insteon Common.

-The Power supply -12V would connect to the black wire.

-The Orange is used purely for status which would connect to the Insteon Status.

- The Purple would be capped off.

-The green is feedback for both on/off which I'm not sure is used.

For what you are suggesting, why does the the white valve wire connect to both the N/C and the N/O?

Attached is the wiring diagram doesn't make sense.

By the way thanks for the help. This forum has been a huge help. I want to thank everyone here on responding!

Thank you so much for posting this info. I purchased the Greenfield clamp on valve and couldn't be happier. I ended up connecting the purple wire to the Sense input of the i/o Linc. This keeps the relay and the sensor in the same on/off status. So when the relay turns the shut-off valve ON, the status reports ON.

Attached is a picture of my i/o Linc wiring and the clamp on valve.

Thanks again!

be7bee3ec8f900bc4a8bbb351db55933.jpg

f6fee1102a77a72c9f2821e821148208.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

Now I'm totally confused. I've tried installing my Greenfield valve with no success. I used the connections as described by Xathros in March of 2015 (posted below). But...I see a number of differences between Xathros' post and the connections cited in this post. In my case with Xathros' directions, it seems the IOLinc is responding as I would expect, when I turn it ON, I hear a click and the LED on the IOLinc turns bright. When I turn it OFF, I hear a click and the LED turns dim. Yet, the Greenfield valve doesn't respond at all. I'm trying to figure out what to do next.....

Xathros

Advanced

• photo-thumb-1150.jpg?_r=1494619509
  • Members
  • 4,550 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Vermont
  • Occupation:System Administrator / ISY Integrator and Enthusiast / Home Automation junkie.

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:06 AM

For Power, Red to the power source +12, Black to the power source ground.

For Valve Control, Black to the IOLinc Relay Com, White to IOLinc Relay N/O

For Feedback, Green to IOLinc Gnd, Purple to IOLinc Sense.

Turn relay On to Open valve.

When the valve is Open, the IOLinc sensor will report On.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

Edited by Xathros, 23 March 2015 - 07:07 AM.

Archived